Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaysei

Backless Birdhouse

29 posts in this topic

I just read an article on this two days ago. Apparently, as long as the window it is mounted on is in a quiet place, it shouldn't cause any additional stress to the birds.

Yikes! Those suction cups make me nervous. I'd be a wreck worrying about this thing falling.

1 person likes this

Yikes! Those suction cups make me nervous. I'd be a wreck worrying about this thing falling.

I've been tempted to try one of those but as cany points out, those suction cups don't seem like a good idea.

If you apply a little vasoline to the cups before sticking them to the window they should be stable. Just try to place the house on a window that doesn't get strong crosswinds.

What about turning the lights on at night in a room with one of those on the window? The sudden light would have to freak the birds out. I know a lot of people have housecats, that would be pretty stressful too, with them up against the glass, trying to get at the birds. I don't think this is the best idea. :unsure:

1 person likes this

I wanted to try one of those bird houses. I have cats, that I'm sure would be glued to the window. I guess you could put up the one way film so the birds couldn't see in?

Oh, I didn't think about the cats (I have two) but a film on the window may be a good idea Kerryks. I just got back from Family Farm & Home where I've started buying my bird seed and bought a suet cage with suction cups. We'll see how long it stays on the window.

I wanted to try one of those bird house. I have cats, that I'm sure would be glued to the window. I guess you could put up the one way film so the birds couldn't see in?

The trouble with that film is that it tends to be reflective. I think that might further stress the parents, as they tried to oust the "intruder."

1 person likes this

What if a bigger bird gets on the box? Will those cups hold?

Poor birdies. I think they deserve some privacy and normalcy, personally.

1 person likes this

Oh, I didn't think about the cats (I have two) but a film on the window may be a good idea Kerryks. I just got back from Family Farm & Home where I've started buying my bird seed and bought a suet cage with suction cups. We'll see how long it stays on the window.

You will have to let us know how the suet feeder works. :)

The trouble with that film is that it tends to be reflective. I think that might further stress the parents, as they tried to oust the "intruder."

You maybe right......

Also those film only work when the side you don't want to see is darker, so if you turn on lights during evening it doesn't work.

Also those film only work when the side you don't want to see is darker, so if you turn on lights during evening it doesn't work.

The learning never stops here at Whatbird.com. :D

1 person likes this

OK, clicking on the link, there were 33 reviews of the item. Only one mentioned that a bird actually tried to move in. In that case the house fell off the window while the bird was trying to nest in the box. Poor suction cups and house falling down was mentioned more than a few times. I'm afraid the "Backless" bird house is much like the "Backless" bathing suit, otherwise known as the "Thong." The average person should really avoid buying and using these things. :huh:

5 people like this

OK, clicking on the link, there were 33 reviews of the item. Only one mentioned that a bird actually tried to move in. In that case the house fell off the window while the bird was trying to nest in the box. Poor suction cups and house falling down was mentioned more than a few times. I'm afraid the "Backless" bird house is much like the "Backless" bathing suit, otherwise known as the "Thong." The average person should really avoid buying and using these things. :huh:

Thanks for my morning chuckle! I really needed that :)

1 person likes this

Thanks creeker. Good advice...I will certainly be avoiding both!

I got some visitors to my new suet cage with suction cups that's stuck to my kitchen window.

BCCH_01-31-13.jpg

Downy_01-31-13.jpg

E.Starling_01-31-13.jpg

2 people like this

I have a hummer feeder on the window with suctions cups (well, in the SUMMER it's there!) Actually, it only has one suctions cup... it did fall off a couple of times... when there's a rather drastic change of weather ... Like really heavy rain, followed by warm sun is when the suction cups seem to "let go".

As to a birdhouse on the window..... I too think that the birds deserve a bit more privacy than that.

I never would've thought to hang any kind of feeder with suction cups. I think I'll try it. No way with the backless birdhouse though.

I'll tell ya one thing, my cat really loves the suet cage on the window. He sits and stares at it for hours. The birds seem to know he can't get them and they appear to get a kick out of taunting him. :)

1 person likes this

In GA I went to a cousins friends house, and they had a window feeder. Carolina Chickadees, Brown-headed Nuthatches (lifer, and only place I've seen them), and Chipping Sparrows all over it.

The suet feeder with the suction cups that was stuck on my kitchen window fell today. I'm glad it isn't a nesting box.

In GA I went to a cousins friends house, and they had a window feeder. Carolina Chickadees, Brown-headed Nuthatches (lifer, and only place I've seen them), and Chipping Sparrows all over it.

Here in N Ga Brown-headed and White-breasted nuthatches are both regulars at my sunflower feeders. The BH mostly in Winter though and the WB are year round.