#1 Kaysei

Kaysei

Kaysei

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
  • Locationsouth GA yall

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:33 PM

OK so I thought this was a cool idea at first. But wouldn't it make the whole nesting/hatching/fledging process MORE stressful if the birds have an audience? I'd like to hear from anybody who has one of these.

http://www.gardeners...default,cp.html

#2 Rogue Birder

Rogue Birder

Going Rogue!

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • LocationBeavercreek, OH

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

I just read an article on this two days ago. Apparently, as long as the window it is mounted on is in a quiet place, it shouldn't cause any additional stress to the birds.

Life List - 313; Year - 266

Year to Date - Ohio - 251; Indiana - 152; Illinois - 29; M*ch*g*n - 60; Kentucky - 38

Backyard List - 83 - Least Flycatcher (May 11, 2014) Great Crested Flycatcher (June 23, 2014) Eastern Wood-Pewee (July 6, 2014)

States: Ohio - 265; Indiana - 190; California - 75; M*ch*g*n - 64; Maryland - 58; Kentucky - 38; Pennsylvania - 38; Illinois - 29; Tennessee - 6; Texas - 2 

Latest lifers: Black Tern (June 24, 2014) Little Gull (June 24, 2014) Northern Bobwhite (July 17, 2014)

My Blog - Rogue Birder

My Flickr - Rogue Photo

#3 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,395 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal. Foothills, Cleveland Ntl. Forest

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

Yikes! Those suction cups make me nervous. I'd be a wreck worrying about this thing falling.

New Birder January 1, 2013
Life list: 326
Most recent lifersCraveri's MurreletAshy Storm-Petral, Grasshopper Sparrow, Willow Flycatcher, Barn Owl, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Sabine's Gull, Scripp's Murrelet, Rhinoceros Auklet, Black Storm-Petral, MacGillivray's Warbler, Black-chinned Sparrow, Gull-billed Tern, Calliope Hummingbird,  Red Knot, Violet-green Swallow, Short-billed Dowitcher, Mountain Quail, Summer Tanager, Dusky Flycatcher, Baltimore Oriole, Sage Thrasher, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Western Screech Owl, Cassin's Vireo, Northern Waterthrush, Rusty Blackbird, Tricolored Blackbird, Burrowing Owl, Prairie Falcon, White-winged Scoter, Herring Gull, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Hermit Warbler, Lewis's Woodpecker, Plumbeous Vireo

-- DONE! My first goal is met: get 100 birds in the first week of January (and I'm over count and still have two days to go). My approach was not to go after the easy birds, but the harder ones and pick up the easier ones along the way. So meeting this goal without really birding the easy spots is encouraging. I might feel different in August.
--  DONE! My goal for the next week (through the 15th) is to get my count up somewhere around 160. That shouldn't be too hard I don't think as I am missing a number of pretty easy species because I've been concentrating on local rarities. I am, however, taking a trip to the grasslands on Sunday hoping to get a new raptor or two and Mountain Bluebird.
--  DONE! With (yeah!) days to go! My goal for this week (through the 22nd of Jan) is to get my numbers up to around 170. I'd like to hit 175. We'll see. (I was 9 birds over... horray!)
--  1/2 DONE This week's goal will be to get my life list to 300 and my seen list up to 195. Did not get my life list to 300. Didn't leave the county this week.
--  Finally completed last week's goal.
--  DONE! This weeks goal (to Feb 14) is to get to 206 seen birds, including at least one owl (heard or seen for owl), and add at least one life bird.

This year's goal: Get life list to 400, see 365 different birds this year, and travel to at least three other states. The last part is the hardest for me.

Seen/heard: 287 (one is under discussion)
To go: 78

My new Blog: http://thisskysings.wordpress.com/

#4 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:15 AM

Yikes! Those suction cups make me nervous. I'd be a wreck worrying about this thing falling.

Most recent lifersCraveri's MurreletAshy Storm-Petral, Grasshopper Sparrow, Willow Flycatcher, Barn Owl, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Sabine's Gull, Scripp's Murrelet, Rhinoceros Auklet, Black Storm-Petral, MacGillivray's Warbler, Black-chinned Sparrow, Gull-billed Tern, Calliope Hummingbird,  Red Knot, Violet-green Swallow, Short-billed Dowitcher, Mountain Quail, Summer Tanager, Dusky Flycatcher, Baltimore Oriole, Sage Thrasher, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Western Screech Owl, Cassin's Vireo, Northern Waterthrush, Rusty Blackbird, Tricolored Blackbird, Burrowing Owl, Prairie Falcon, White-winged Scoter, Herring Gull, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Hermit Warbler, Lewis's Woodpecker, Plumbeous Vireo

-- DONE! My first goal is met: get 100 birds in the first week of January (and I'm over count and still have two days to go). My approach was not to go after the easy birds, but the harder ones and pick up the easier ones along the way. So meeting this goal without really birding the easy spots is encouraging. I might feel different in August.
--  DONE! My goal for the next week (through the 15th) is to get my count up somewhere around 160. That shouldn't be too hard I don't think as I am missing a number of pretty easy species because I've been concentrating on local rarities. I am, however, taking a trip to the grasslands on Sunday hoping to get a new raptor or two and Mountain Bluebird.
--  DONE! With (yeah!) days to go! My goal for this week (through the 22nd of Jan) is to get my numbers up to around 170. I'd like to hit 175. We'll see. (I was 9 birds over... horray!)
--  1/2 DONE This week's goal will be to get my life list to 300 and my seen list up to 195. Did not get my life list to 300. Didn't leave the county this week.
--  DONE! This weeks goal (to Feb 14) is to get to 206 seen birds, including at least one owl (heard or seen for owl), and add at least one life bird.

This year's goal: Get life list to 400, see 365 different birds this year, and travel to at least three other states. The last part is the hardest for me.

#5 threeofhardts

threeofhardts

threeofhardts

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • LocationWest Michigan

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:23 AM

I've been tempted to try one of those but as cany points out, those suction cups don't seem like a good idea.

I'd rather be birding.

#6 Rogue Birder

Rogue Birder

Going Rogue!

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • LocationBeavercreek, OH

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:36 AM

If you apply a little vasoline to the cups before sticking them to the window they should be stable. Just try to place the house on a window that doesn't get strong crosswinds.

Life List - 313; Year - 266

Year to Date - Ohio - 251; Indiana - 152; Illinois - 29; M*ch*g*n - 60; Kentucky - 38

Backyard List - 83 - Least Flycatcher (May 11, 2014) Great Crested Flycatcher (June 23, 2014) Eastern Wood-Pewee (July 6, 2014)

States: Ohio - 265; Indiana - 190; California - 75; M*ch*g*n - 64; Maryland - 58; Kentucky - 38; Pennsylvania - 38; Illinois - 29; Tennessee - 6; Texas - 2 

Latest lifers: Black Tern (June 24, 2014) Little Gull (June 24, 2014) Northern Bobwhite (July 17, 2014)

My Blog - Rogue Birder

My Flickr - Rogue Photo

#7 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,757 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:55 AM

What about turning the lights on at night in a room with one of those on the window? The sudden light would have to freak the birds out. I know a lot of people have housecats, that would be pretty stressful too, with them up against the glass, trying to get at the birds. I don't think this is the best idea. :unsure:
Creationist Birder

#8 Kerryks

Kerryks

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • LocationHamburg NY

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

I wanted to try one of those bird houses. I have cats, that I'm sure would be glued to the window. I guess you could put up the one way film so the birds couldn't see in?

#9 threeofhardts

threeofhardts

threeofhardts

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • LocationWest Michigan

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

Oh, I didn't think about the cats (I have two) but a film on the window may be a good idea Kerryks. I just got back from Family Farm & Home where I've started buying my bird seed and bought a suet cage with suction cups. We'll see how long it stays on the window.

I'd rather be birding.

#10 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,757 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

I wanted to try one of those bird house. I have cats, that I'm sure would be glued to the window. I guess you could put up the one way film so the birds couldn't see in?

The trouble with that film is that it tends to be reflective. I think that might further stress the parents, as they tried to oust the "intruder."
Creationist Birder

#11 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:29 AM

What if a bigger bird gets on the box? Will those cups hold?

Poor birdies. I think they deserve some privacy and normalcy, personally.

#12 Kerryks

Kerryks

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • LocationHamburg NY

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Oh, I didn't think about the cats (I have two) but a film on the window may be a good idea Kerryks. I just got back from Family Farm & Home where I've started buying my bird seed and bought a suet cage with suction cups. We'll see how long it stays on the window.

You will have to let us know how the suet feeder works. :)

#13 Kerryks

Kerryks

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • LocationHamburg NY

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

The trouble with that film is that it tends to be reflective. I think that might further stress the parents, as they tried to oust the "intruder."

You maybe right......

#14 jzmtl

jzmtl

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationMontreal Canada

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

Also those film only work when the side you don't want to see is darker, so if you turn on lights during evening it doesn't work.

#15 threeofhardts

threeofhardts

threeofhardts

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • LocationWest Michigan

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

Also those film only work when the side you don't want to see is darker, so if you turn on lights during evening it doesn't work.

The learning never stops here at Whatbird.com. :D

I'd rather be birding.

#16 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,757 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:46 AM

OK, clicking on the link, there were 33 reviews of the item. Only one mentioned that a bird actually tried to move in. In that case the house fell off the window while the bird was trying to nest in the box. Poor suction cups and house falling down was mentioned more than a few times. I'm afraid the "Backless" bird house is much like the "Backless" bathing suit, otherwise known as the "Thong." The average person should really avoid buying and using these things. :huh:
Creationist Birder

#17 Chaseman

Chaseman

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

OK, clicking on the link, there were 33 reviews of the item. Only one mentioned that a bird actually tried to move in. In that case the house fell off the window while the bird was trying to nest in the box. Poor suction cups and house falling down was mentioned more than a few times. I'm afraid the "Backless" bird house is much like the "Backless" bathing suit, otherwise known as the "Thong." The average person should really avoid buying and using these things. :huh:

Thanks for my morning chuckle! I really needed that :)

#18 threeofhardts

threeofhardts

threeofhardts

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • LocationWest Michigan

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

Thanks creeker. Good advice...I will certainly be avoiding both!

I got some visitors to my new suet cage with suction cups that's stuck to my kitchen window.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'd rather be birding.

#19 Kerryks

Kerryks

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • LocationHamburg NY

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Love the pics......I will have to try the suet feeder.

#20 sandylee

sandylee

sandylee

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

I have a hummer feeder on the window with suctions cups (well, in the SUMMER it's there!) Actually, it only has one suctions cup... it did fall off a couple of times... when there's a rather drastic change of weather ... Like really heavy rain, followed by warm sun is when the suction cups seem to "let go".

As to a birdhouse on the window..... I too think that the birds deserve a bit more privacy than that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users