#1 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,395 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal. Foothills, Cleveland Ntl. Forest

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

I absolutely cannot ID this duck. I've tried everything. What I can say is that the duck is quite small (body wise) compared to a coot and half the size of a mallard!

I apologize for the pics, but this is the only camera available to me at the moment. Hopefully next month I will have my own new camera:)

http://farm9.staticf...15807ae16_b.jpg

And thank you.

New Birder January 1, 2013
Life list: 326
Most recent lifersCraveri's MurreletAshy Storm-Petral, Grasshopper Sparrow, Willow Flycatcher, Barn Owl, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Sabine's Gull, Scripp's Murrelet, Rhinoceros Auklet, Black Storm-Petral, MacGillivray's Warbler, Black-chinned Sparrow, Gull-billed Tern, Calliope Hummingbird,  Red Knot, Violet-green Swallow, Short-billed Dowitcher, Mountain Quail, Summer Tanager, Dusky Flycatcher, Baltimore Oriole, Sage Thrasher, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Western Screech Owl, Cassin's Vireo, Northern Waterthrush, Rusty Blackbird, Tricolored Blackbird, Burrowing Owl, Prairie Falcon, White-winged Scoter, Herring Gull, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Hermit Warbler, Lewis's Woodpecker, Plumbeous Vireo

-- DONE! My first goal is met: get 100 birds in the first week of January (and I'm over count and still have two days to go). My approach was not to go after the easy birds, but the harder ones and pick up the easier ones along the way. So meeting this goal without really birding the easy spots is encouraging. I might feel different in August.
--  DONE! My goal for the next week (through the 15th) is to get my count up somewhere around 160. That shouldn't be too hard I don't think as I am missing a number of pretty easy species because I've been concentrating on local rarities. I am, however, taking a trip to the grasslands on Sunday hoping to get a new raptor or two and Mountain Bluebird.
--  DONE! With (yeah!) days to go! My goal for this week (through the 22nd of Jan) is to get my numbers up to around 170. I'd like to hit 175. We'll see. (I was 9 birds over... horray!)
--  1/2 DONE This week's goal will be to get my life list to 300 and my seen list up to 195. Did not get my life list to 300. Didn't leave the county this week.
--  Finally completed last week's goal.
--  DONE! This weeks goal (to Feb 14) is to get to 206 seen birds, including at least one owl (heard or seen for owl), and add at least one life bird.

This year's goal: Get life list to 400, see 365 different birds this year, and travel to at least three other states. The last part is the hardest for me.

Seen/heard: 287 (one is under discussion)
To go: 78

My new Blog: http://thisskysings.wordpress.com/

#2 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,991 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

It's a ruddy duck.

#3 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

TY. I looked and looked at the pics, both online and in books, and I couldn't match the bird I saw (I actually took my Sibley's with me today in the field... what a dweeb:). I kept going back to this duck, but the coloration was so different than that in the book or any I found on line I just wasn't certain.

I sure appreciate it!

Most recent lifersCraveri's MurreletAshy Storm-Petral, Grasshopper Sparrow, Willow Flycatcher, Barn Owl, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Sabine's Gull, Scripp's Murrelet, Rhinoceros Auklet, Black Storm-Petral, MacGillivray's Warbler, Black-chinned Sparrow, Gull-billed Tern, Calliope Hummingbird,  Red Knot, Violet-green Swallow, Short-billed Dowitcher, Mountain Quail, Summer Tanager, Dusky Flycatcher, Baltimore Oriole, Sage Thrasher, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Western Screech Owl, Cassin's Vireo, Northern Waterthrush, Rusty Blackbird, Tricolored Blackbird, Burrowing Owl, Prairie Falcon, White-winged Scoter, Herring Gull, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Hermit Warbler, Lewis's Woodpecker, Plumbeous Vireo

-- DONE! My first goal is met: get 100 birds in the first week of January (and I'm over count and still have two days to go). My approach was not to go after the easy birds, but the harder ones and pick up the easier ones along the way. So meeting this goal without really birding the easy spots is encouraging. I might feel different in August.
--  DONE! My goal for the next week (through the 15th) is to get my count up somewhere around 160. That shouldn't be too hard I don't think as I am missing a number of pretty easy species because I've been concentrating on local rarities. I am, however, taking a trip to the grasslands on Sunday hoping to get a new raptor or two and Mountain Bluebird.
--  DONE! With (yeah!) days to go! My goal for this week (through the 22nd of Jan) is to get my numbers up to around 170. I'd like to hit 175. We'll see. (I was 9 birds over... horray!)
--  1/2 DONE This week's goal will be to get my life list to 300 and my seen list up to 195. Did not get my life list to 300. Didn't leave the county this week.
--  DONE! This weeks goal (to Feb 14) is to get to 206 seen birds, including at least one owl (heard or seen for owl), and add at least one life bird.

This year's goal: Get life list to 400, see 365 different birds this year, and travel to at least three other states. The last part is the hardest for me.

#4 TheBillyPilgrim

TheBillyPilgrim

Frank

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,382 posts
  • LocationSmithfield, VA (again)

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

It's looks to be a male in non-breeding plumage, if that helps you compare it!

Life List: 687

Latest birds:  Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Piping Plover, Sooty Grouse

ABA 2014: 315 species
Virginia 2014: 236
Isle of Wight County 2014: 182 species

My Flickr
eBird

Nevada Field Season Report: http://www.whatbird....-season-report/

Costa Rica Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....rt/#entry396425

#5 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

It's looks to be a male in non-breeding plumage, if that helps you compare it!

It does help, and I considered that. What throws me is in the real world, this duck has a very chestnutty colored breast and chocolate brown back. At least that's what it looked like. Of course I looked at this duck so long through the binocs because he wouldn't get close (I let the current bring him to me... and stayed still) my eyes were rolling in my noggin. Thanks!

I was actually proud of myself... added another bunch of water birds to my list today (I'm just learning water birds). I'm skipping gulls for now. I have enough of a headache:)

#6 Bird Brain

Bird Brain

Bird Brain

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,062 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

Many (and I stress many!!!) times birds of all species just don't go by the book!! There are individual variations among all species, some more than others. Another big factor is the lighting when the photo was taken.
Very bright light can wash out colors, and afternoon light can enhance some colors such as yellow, tan, red, etc.
Another very important factor is the perception of the observer! Some people can look at a bird, or a photo of one, and see a reddish tint,whereas another observer standing right beside them may interpret it as tannish or orange tint.
I used to get very frustated when I first started trying to ID birds because, as in your case, some just didn't match anything in the darn book!! That's why it's important to look for other field marks, such as wing-bars, eye-lines, etc., when IDing a bird.
It gets easier with practice, believe me! There will always be some that don't fall neatly into any category, but with practice you'll be able to work most of them out yourself. As for the others..??.. do like I do often and rely on the experts here
on WhatBird to help with those! :)

We did not inherit Mother Earth from our Ancestors.....

We have borrowed Her from our Descendants.

Chief Seattle of the Suquamish Tribe (paraphrased)

Man belongs to the Earth...Earth does not belong to Man.

Black Elk of the Lakota Tribe

#7 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:04 AM

Many (and I stress many!!!) times birds of all species just don't go by the book!! There are individual variations among all species, some more than others. Another big factor is the lighting when the photo was taken.
Very bright light can wash out colors, and afternoon light can enhance some colors such as yellow, tan, red, etc.
Another very important factor is the perception of the observer! Some people can look at a bird, or a photo of one, and see a reddish tint,whereas another observer standing right beside them may interpret it as tannish or orange tint.
I used to get very frustated when I first started trying to ID birds because, as in your case, some just didn't match anything in the darn book!! That's why it's important to look for other field marks, such as wing-bars, eye-lines, etc., when IDing a bird.
It gets easier with practice, believe me! There will always be some that don't fall neatly into any category, but with practice you'll be able to work most of them out yourself. As for the others..??.. do like I do often and rely on the experts here
on WhatBird to help with those! :)

I'm learning this:) I apparently also have difficulty in seeing black from extremely dark blue. I actually had someone ask me years ago why i always wore a black skirt with a dark blue sweater. Imagine MY surprise:) I had NO idea I couldn't differentiate those two dark colors well. Now I ask the clerk what color I am buying so I don't make that mistake:)

One of the reasons I lug Sibley's everywhere (and I mean everywhere) I go is because I am new at this, and at least it helps me ID in the field often which is particularly necessary given I don't have a camera right now. There's NO way I can remember so much information, and even great notes and pictures I draw often don't help.

But I see progress! What I found hard three weeks ago is largely a piece of cake now. Before I go down to Bolsa Chica or San Joaquin WR, I am learning as much as I can so I won't feel so overwhelmed.

I still have trouble with swifts and swallows. They are going to take me more time.

Thanks for the encouragement! I am enjoying the heck out of this and it's also getting me out more, all of which is great!

#8 cestma

cestma

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,737 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

BTW, don't feel like a "dweeb" for taking a field guide with you. Frequently it is helpful, despite some conventional wisdom. And esp. when you don't have a camera, it's great to be able to compare your observations to the guide while they're as fresh as possible!
Trip report: Oregon Jaunt II http://www.whatbird....ii/#entry551308
Trip report: Oregon Jaunt http://www.whatbird....4-oregon-jaunt/
Trip report: Birding in Michigan's Upper Peninsula http://www.whatbird....pper-peninsula/

#9 Lenapelee

Lenapelee

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • LocationS.E. Pennsylvania

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:27 AM

It does help, and I considered that. What throws me is in the real world, this duck has a very chestnutty colored breast and chocolate brown back. At least that's what it looked like. Of course I looked at this duck so long through the binocs because he wouldn't get close (I let the current bring him to me... and stayed still) my eyes were rolling in my noggin. Thanks!

I was actually proud of myself... added another bunch of water birds to my list today (I'm just learning water birds). I'm skipping gulls for now. I have enough of a headache:)

I'm with you on the gulls. I'm just concentrating on ducks for now, and maybe a few sparrows that's a lot to learn for now

#10 Pat B.

Pat B.

Young at heart birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:40 AM

I'm not surprised you couldn't ID the Ruddy from this photo. 1st, it's in non-breeding/basic plumage, which doesn't look at all like its quite snazzy breeding plumage so often pictured. 2nd, he's got that huge fieldmark-of-a-bill tucked in where you can't see it. The best field mark in your photo is that jaunty tail: this is why these are called "stiff-tails."

And, I commend you for noting that color is difficult (and not just for you). That's why it's best to study the shapes of birds and not get too distracted by colors. If a swimming Ruddy Duck was dipped in red paint it would still be ID-able because there just isn't any other duck of its size and shape.

~ Pat ~ I eBird. Do you?

Life list 281. Latest: Little Blue Heron, Bobolink, Brown Creeper, Mute Swan, Surf Scoter, Sabine's Gull, Solitary Sandpiper, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Black Tern, Ruddy Turnstone

#11 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,395 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:59 AM

I'm not surprised you couldn't ID the Ruddy from this photo. 1st, it's in non-breeding/basic plumage, which doesn't look at all like it's quite snazzy breeding plumage so often pictured. 2nd, he's got that huge fieldmark-of-a-bill tucked in where you can't see it. The best field mark in your photo is that jaunty tail: this is why these are called "stiff-tails."

And, I commend you for noting that color is difficult (and not just for you). That's why it's best to study the shape and birds and not get too distracted by colors. If a swimming Ruddy Duck was dipped in red paint it would still be ID-able because there just isn't any other duck of it's size and shape.

Oh thank you for writing that! I kept going back to the ruddy because of the tail. But you know, when first learning, you can make a lot of silly mistakes:) There's an art (and experience) in knowing what to key on, and I am learning that slowly but surely! Color often doesn't sit right with me so best I learn that early on.

Those of you with a lot of experience are so wonderful to have for help especially for folks like me that bird alone. It forces me, though, to think differently. I pay a lot more attention to what I see and hear now than ever before. And yes, yes, yes on size and shape! That is helping me a lot to group things together or eliminate a possibility. It doesn't always work, but mostly it seems to.

I thank you all for your help. It is invaluable and very much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users