Willsmom0808

Yellow-breasted Chat?

5 posts in this topic

This bird has been visiting my feeder for the past week or so. I live in Winston Salem, NC. I'll attach some pictures although they are not great.

The bird has a bright yellow breast/throat. The yellow does not extend to the upper head; noticeable white spectacles, dark beak, gray head and body. The back is almost gray/olive. Belly and rump are white.

An expert here thought it was probably a Pine Warbler but he not see my pictures. I question that since there are no white wing bars and the white at the eyes is pronounced. However. A Chat siting would be rare here in the winter months.

I'm new to this and would love to hear from more experienced birders.

post-36991-0-91959300-1359759902_thumb.jpg

post-36991-0-07014000-1359759957_thumb.jpg

post-36991-0-63814000-1359759969_thumb.jpg

post-36991-0-53300700-1359759986_thumb.jpg

Did you shrink the photo to make it fit? If so, try cropping the bird first and then posting it full size. I'm just not getting enough detail to say what you have. Also, if you could post it right side up it would probably make it easier:)

Your description sounds good, but I'll second Cavan Wood's request for a cropped shot.

I agree, your description and what I can see of the image sounds pretty good for Yellow-breasted Chat, especially the plain olive looking back and what you describe of the face pattern, but it'd be nice to get a closer look. Can you make out a black line through the eye? That's another feature that chat would show but Pine Warbler would not.