• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Willsmom0808

Willsmom0808

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

This bird has been visiting my feeder for the past week or so. I live in Winston Salem, NC. I'll attach some pictures although they are not great.
The bird has a bright yellow breast/throat. The yellow does not extend to the upper head; noticeable white spectacles, dark beak, gray head and body. The back is almost gray/olive. Belly and rump are white.
An expert here thought it was probably a Pine Warbler but he not see my pictures. I question that since there are no white wing bars and the white at the eyes is pronounced. However. A Chat siting would be rare here in the winter months.
I'm new to this and would love to hear from more experienced birders.

Attached Files

#2 Cavan Wood

Cavan Wood

Cavan Wood

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,276 posts
  • LocationCavan, Ontario (near Peterborough)

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

Did you shrink the photo to make it fit? If so, try cropping the bird first and then posting it full size. I'm just not getting enough detail to say what you have. Also, if you could post it right side up it would probably make it easier:)
Scott

#3 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,293 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:52 AM

Your description sounds good, but I'll second Cavan Wood's request for a cropped shot.

#4 jdeitsch

jdeitsch

rock.gif

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,663 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:52 AM

Welcome to Whatbird!!!!!!

Flickr: http://www.flickr.co.../103058792@N02/
West Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....0669-west-trip/
Trip Report Mini: http://www.whatbird....eorgia-big-day/

Lifelist: 311
Odes: 50

rock.gif                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      rock.gif

#5 darknight

darknight

Wandering Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,367 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:13 AM

I agree, your description and what I can see of the image sounds pretty good for Yellow-breasted Chat, especially the plain olive looking back and what you describe of the face pattern, but it'd be nice to get a closer look. Can you make out a black line through the eye? That's another feature that chat would show but Pine Warbler would not.

There are 976 species on the ABA list. Looks like I've got a lot of birding to do....

Life List (World): 1094 species
ABA area: 634
Latest ABA lifers: Least Storm-Petrel, Ashy Storm-Petrel, Black Storm-Petrel, Craveri's Murrelet, White-eared Hummingbird, Ruff, Black-vented Shearwater, Rosy-faced Lovebird, Sinaloa Wren, Rufous-capped Warbler, Greater Sage-Grouse, Harris Sparrow, Tufted Duck, Red-throated Pipit, 
California: 348
Riverside County, CA: 256
2014 ABA: 409

2014 World: 669

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users