Cobal

Duck ID Please

13 posts in this topic

1. Looks like a Ring-necked Duck

2. Redheads

3. American Black Duck

4. American Wigeon, Mallard, American Black Duck

Edit: There's a Redhead in #4 as well, rear left.

1. Looks like a Ring-necked Duck

2. Redheads

3. American Black Duck

4. American Wigeon, Mallard, American Black Duck

Edit: There's a Redhead in #4 as well, rear left.

Agree, but you forgot the geese in #4! ;)

#1 is a pretty odd-looking RNDU, isn't it?

Central Ohio in the winter time. You gotta love it. Not!!!!! This coming from a ex-central Ohio Buckeye now enjoying 60 to 80 degree winter times, (as well as that strange object in the sky called the sun) in the southern California Desert. The groundhog would roast his little rodent butt off tomorrow here as we are going to be at about 77 degrees. But still as always and forever, Go Bucks.

It was 14 degrees at the park today. Difficult to take pictures while wearing mittens.

I didn't forget the geese -- the title of the post was duck ID's, and I figured he already knew what a goose looked like. (I suppose I could be mistaken about that....)

I didn't forget the geese -- the title of the post was duck ID's, and I figured he already knew what a goose looked like. (I suppose I could be mistaken about that....)

Ah, but ducks and geese are in the same family. How could you forget such a crucial bird?!?

2 people like this

I hate to throw out the hybrid card, but that Ring-necked Duck looks very much like it could be a hybrid with a Lesser Scaup. The back looks paler than the rest of the dark body, the white spur on the chest is missing, and the bill is intermediate between the two. The head shape is intermediate between the two as well.

Compare it to this bird:

http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/jmorlan/Ring-neckedDuckXLesserScaupP1130861.htm

1 person likes this

I hate to throw out the hybrid card, but that Ring-necked Duck looks very much like it could be a hybrid with a Lesser Scaup. The back looks paler than the rest of the dark body, the white spur on the chest is missing, and the bill is intermediate between the two. The head shape is intermediate between the two as well.

Compare it to this bird:

http://fog.ccsf.cc.c...aupP1130861.htm

my first thought was scaupy lookin' too

Don't see a spur on the ring-neck, so even though I know better than to disagree with psweet I vote lesser scaup.

I'm confident (as confident it's possible to be about a hybrid) that the first bird is a Ring-necked Duck x some other Aythya hybrid, likely a Scaup sp.