Grandpa577

Please help with id

27 posts in this topic

The bill's too fine for a Cowbird. It almost looks like a Yellow-rumped with some pretty bad lighting.

I think it's too big to be a yellow-rumped, but I'm not sure I have any better ideas. It does seem to have a warbler jizz. Eastern phoebe would have a lighter belly.

How about a European Starling for the bird on the left? If that is the bird in question!

The OP was asking about the small bird -- I took that to mean the upper right.

The OP was asking about the small bird -- I took that to mean the upper right.

Oh, I see. I should have read the post a little better, I thought the bird on left was in question. To my untrained eye, the one on the left looks like a Starling. I did see the OP post a great picture of thousands or Grackles in a separate post so this is probably one too.

i know an eastern phoebe has a lighter belly but the picture is all shadowy so its hard to make out plumage. also, the bill looks to thin and petite for brown headed cowbird

At first I was thinking the bill was hidden some how, but now I'm not sure. It does appear to have a tiny bill, but it looks too big, compared to the other birds to be a Yellow-rump, and the shape looks a bit plump for a Phoebe, or a yellow-rump.

It almost looks bluebird shaped, but that doesn't seem to fit the color pattern either. I'm stumped.

Yeah, yellow-rumped was my first thought, then eastern bluebird, but neither is quite right.

Bluebird was my first impression, but I can't get the colors to work out, so I don't know.

I think female eastern bluebird is exactly right. I wish I'd thought of it myself. As soon as I read it, I thought, "That's it!" The shadows and exposure make the colors hard to define, and the angle of the head may make the throat appear a bit lighter than it actually is (because it's getting more light on it), but if you just do a Google image search of eastern bluebirds, you'll find some with paler throats.

i think the forehead is too slanted (not enough curve for a EBB) more on a swallowish profile but I don't have a guess

After looking through the photos, I feel confident that the bird is a Brown-headed Cowbird. I know the bill appears to be all wrong, but I suspect that what makes it seem so thin is a small branch on the tree. Based on the presence of Cowbirds in the flock and the overall coloring and shape (excepting bill) it fits for a female Brown-headed Cowbird. (The following photo is not the same bird.)

8451415675_faa4029af3_z.jpg

Brown-headed_Cowbird_9668p by Grandpa577, on Flickr

I suspected eastern bluebird before, I'm confident of it now.

Edit: Wow, looking at this again today, I don't know what I was looking at last night. The bill is huge and conical. How did I not see that? Lesson: don't post things late at night after hours of computer work. Just a little embarrassing.

I'm not seeing this as an Eastern Bluebird, particularly after the second shot. I believe angles and shadows, plus poor exposure and branches are playing tricks and making the bill look slim. The second shot is the real clincher, though, as the conical bill is fairly clear and the head is not at all bluebird-like (too square; not round and circle-like, as I'd expect on EABL). The wings are also too short for Bluebird.

I'm not seeing this as an Eastern Bluebird, particularly after the second shot. I believe angles and shadows, plus poor exposure and branches are playing tricks and making the bill look slim. The second shot is the real clincher, though, as the conical bill is fairly clear and the head is not at all bluebird-like (too square; not round and circle-like, as I'd expect on EABL). The wings are also too short for Bluebird.

Just to reemphasize the two shots are not of the same bird. They are two birds in the same tree.

I am not certain why an Eastern Bluebird is a possibility (as much as I'd rather have a Bluebird than a Cowbird). There is no blue on the cheeks, the belly is not white and on most bluebirds I've seen there is a white eye ring. Even with a dull colored female, the belly and feathering on the legs is white, isn't it? And the eye ring should be evident. The cheeks and top of head shouldn't match the breast color, should they?

Just to reemphasize the two shots are not of the same bird. They are two birds in the same tree.

I am not certain why an Eastern Bluebird is a possibility (as much as I'd rather have a Bluebird than a Cowbird). There is no blue on the cheeks, the belly is not white and on most bluebirds I've seen there is a white eye ring. Even with a dull colored female, the belly and feathering on the legs is white, isn't it? And the eye ring should be evident. The cheeks and top of head shouldn't match the breast color, should they?

Okay - don't know how I missed that.

But I agree - it's too monocolored and dark (particularly on the belly) for EABL.

i still think its an eastern phoebe.. the bill fits, i know it looks small here but i think the angle of the photo is throwing off the bill size. i know someone said earlier an eastern phoebe would have a lighter belly which i know, but all that shadowing of the trees looks like its hiding the true color of the bird, also someone said it seems to plump for a phoebe.. the bird is turned at an angle which throws off its true shape.. the shape looks fine to me..