• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 newbirder jeff

newbirder jeff

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:26 AM

ok there was a bird report out here about a zone-tailed hawk roosting with a bunch turkey vulters and i was wondering if this bird looks like a zoned-tailed hawk becuase 1 the eyes look like a hawk also to look for the head and eye look to the top middle of the feathers on belly it will be right there

Attached Files

• Attached File  10.jpg   104.14KB   153 downloads

life list 124 went to go find phainopepla,blue-headed vireo self-found bird ladder-back woodpecker uncommon in area self-found first scissor tailed flycatcher

#2 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,864 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Seems like I'm looking at the back of the bird. I don't see a head or eye.
Creationist Birder

#3 TheBillyPilgrim

TheBillyPilgrim

Frank

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,844 posts
  • LocationSmithfield, VA (again)

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

Welcome to Whatbird, Jeff! I agree, you may have attached the wrong photo. FWIW, looks like a Turkey Vulture but a better shot would be useful to confirm it. Also, including location will always help for IDs.

Life List: 700

Latest birds:  Rock Ptarmigan, Northern Hawk Owl, Vaux's Swift

ABA 2014: 339 species
Virginia 2014: 237
Isle of Wight County 2014: 182 species

My Flickr
eBird

Nevada Field Season Report: http://www.whatbird....-season-report/

Costa Rica Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....rt/#entry396425

#4 Guest_Birdluvr_*

Guest_Birdluvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

hi jeffrey, glad you made it in here :) jeffrey is a freind of mine on facebook everyone and i told him about this website . welcome jeffrey :)

#5 Peeplvr

Peeplvr

Derek Elsinger

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

can't make out much but does look like a TV

#6 Guest_Birdluvr_*

Guest_Birdluvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

when posting your pictures jeffrey, dont forget to tell location, etc in southern california ;)

#7 Guest_Birdluvr_*

Guest_Birdluvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

Welcome to Whatbird, Jeff! I agree, you may have attached the wrong photo. FWIW, looks like a Turkey Vulture but a better shot would be useful to confirm it. Also, including location will always help for IDs.

naww, he attached the right photo as he showed me the same photo on facebook wanting an id so i referred him here, i thought it looked like a turkey vulture as well but wasnt wure

#8 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,110 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:26 AM

This line has people confused - "look for the head and eye look to the top middle of the feathers on belly it will be right there." There are no belly feathers in the pic - just tail, wings and back, as far as I can tell.

#9 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,859 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:54 AM

Hey I know Jeffrey too - promised to take him birding in Georgia sometime. :P

Looks like a Turkey Vulture to me as well - too bronzy-brown and wide-feathered for ZTHA.

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

#10 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Bigfoot-Big Hammer Spammer Slammer and Benevolent Dictator

• Administrators
  • 6,314 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:03 AM

Hey I know Jeffrey too - promised to take him birding in Georgia sometime. :P

Looks like a Turkey Vulture to me as well - too bronzy-brown and wide-feathered for ZTHA.

Liam... as I see this photo, I cannot see anything like you are commenting about. Are you processing this photo and making comments from your edited photos???

Bigfoot
Commander of the Spammer Slammer Hammer

#11 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,431 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal. Foothills, Cleveland Ntl. Forest

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:07 AM

This line has people confused - "look for the head and eye look to the top middle of the feathers on belly it will be right there." There are no belly feathers in the pic - just tail, wings and back, as far as I can tell.

Yep that threw me. I'm aware of the siting and it was on ebird rarities as well a while back (early Jan I think). Wish I could have seen it.

New Birder January 1, 2013
Life list: 329
Most recent lifers: Northern Parula, Tennessee Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, Vesper Sparrow, Craveri's MurreletAshy Storm-Petral, Grasshopper Sparrow, Willow Flycatcher, Barn Owl, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Sabine's Gull, Scripp's Murrelet, Rhinoceros Auklet, Black Storm-Petral, MacGillivray's Warbler, Black-chinned Sparrow, Gull-billed Tern, Calliope Hummingbird,  Red Knot, Violet-green Swallow, Short-billed Dowitcher, Mountain Quail, Summer Tanager, Dusky Flycatcher, Baltimore Oriole, Sage Thrasher, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Western Screech Owl, Cassin's Vireo, Northern Waterthrush, Rusty Blackbird, Tricolored Blackbird, Burrowing Owl, Prairie Falcon, White-winged Scoter, Herring Gull, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Hermit Warbler, Lewis's Woodpecker, Plumbeous Vireo

-- DONE! My first goal is met: get 100 birds in the first week of January (and I'm over count and still have two days to go). My approach was not to go after the easy birds, but the harder ones and pick up the easier ones along the way. So meeting this goal without really birding the easy spots is encouraging. I might feel different in August.
--  DONE! My goal for the next week (through the 15th) is to get my count up somewhere around 160. That shouldn't be too hard I don't think as I am missing a number of pretty easy species because I've been concentrating on local rarities. I am, however, taking a trip to the grasslands on Sunday hoping to get a new raptor or two and Mountain Bluebird.
--  DONE! With (yeah!) days to go! My goal for this week (through the 22nd of Jan) is to get my numbers up to around 170. I'd like to hit 175. We'll see. (I was 9 birds over... horray!)
--  1/2 DONE This week's goal will be to get my life list to 300 and my seen list up to 195. Did not get my life list to 300. Didn't leave the county this week.
--  Finally completed last week's goal.
--  DONE! This weeks goal (to Feb 14) is to get to 206 seen birds, including at least one owl (heard or seen for owl), and add at least one life bird.

This year's goal: Get life list to 400, see 365 different birds this year, and travel to at least three other states. The last part is the hardest for me.

Seen/heard: 301 (one is under discussion)
To go: 64

My new Blog: http://thisskysings.wordpress.com/

#12 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,859 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:10 AM

Liam... as I see this photo, I cannot see anything like you are commenting about. Are you processing this photo and making comments from your edited photos???

Bigfoot

Rest assured, I'm not editing the photos and infringing Jeffrey's copyright! Maybe my screen is brighter (or perhaps my color deficiency plays a role here?), but the bronzy-brown color is fairly clear to me. At least, it's not the dull dark-brown/black I'm accustomed to seeing on (pics of) Zone-tailed Hawks.

Would you like me to do an edit?

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog

#13 Guest_Birdluvr_*

Guest_Birdluvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:12 AM

i just looked at this picture again, i can see a little bit of the beak and a reddish face in this picture. its a turkey vulture.

#14 lonestranger

lonestranger

lonestranger

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • LocationActon, Ontario

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

Okay, this picture has me confused. While I agree that it's a turkey vulture, I can't figure out the birds position or see features like the eyes, beak, or head that others see. Based on the direction of feather layering and assuming that the lead feathers overlap trailing feathers, I would say the bird is facing us but everyone else sees the bird's back. Perhaps someone could do an edit to bring out more detail and point out what I am missing.

Recently(July 5/14)added some new photos to my Picasa Web Album.

http://picasaweb.goo...Ai6G4wenXZD7ClQ

#15 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,275 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

What you see in the middle of the bird is the secondaries and coverts, with the primaries coming together in the lower left, so we are seeing the back of the bird. I don't see any barring on the primaries, and I do see pale shafts on all 4 primaries that are clearly visible. So I'll agree with Turkey Vulture.

#16 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,859 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

Jeffrey gave me permission to edit the photo. I brightened it a bit, so the bronzey-brown is more apparent.

I still can't find the head or beak.

(click for large size)
Posted Image

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog

#17 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,527 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

I see the bill and a tiny bit of the face now. Look at the uper surface of the forked branch where the fork meets the main branch, there is maybe half-an-inch of bill visible.

The sludge caught in the mind's filter, the stuff that refuses to go through, frequently becomes each person's private obsession. In civilized society we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions "hobbies". - Stephen King

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers. - Me

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Sooty Grouse, Great Gray Owl: Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County, CA, 8/18/14

Calliope Hummingbird, Evening Grosbeak: Niagara Creek Campgrounds, Tuolumne County, CA 8/4/14

Northern Goshawk: Eagle Meadow, Tuolumne County, CA, 8/4

Pine Grosbeak: Plasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Short-billed Dowitcher: Ceres Wastewater Treatment Facility, Cere, CA, 8/20/14

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker: Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County, CA, 8/18/14

Peregrine Falcon, Black Tern, Bank Swallow: Modesto Wastewater treatment Facility, Modesto, CA, 8/10/14

Mountain Quail: Hwy 108 at Cow Creek, Tulomne County, CA, 8/4/14

Prairie Falcon, Pileated Woodpecker (5), Pygmy Nuthatch: Plasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Western Screech-Owl: Enslen Park, Modesto, CA, 4/16/14, 7/2/14, 7/6/14

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users