#1 Outsider

Outsider

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

I would like to know the the proper name of duck. I am just getting into bird and duck identification, I have photos and verifying correct names. Thanks,[attachment=103119:DSC_0942 (640x426).jpg] This was in a pond this winter NE Pa,

#2 IvoryBillHope

IvoryBillHope

North Carolina Teen Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,196 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

Female Mallard.

Life List- 219
2014- 137

Recent lifers- Sandwich Tern, Black Skimmer, Whimbrel, Wilson's Plover!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yard List- 73

#3 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,108 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

This is a female Mallard. The white borders on the blue speculum (that's the brightly colored part of a duck's wing, on the secondary feathers) and the orange bill with a dark saddle are good things to look for.

#4 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal. Foothills, Cleveland Ntl. Forest

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

And the dark patch on the bill says female, also.

Oops... see PSweet covered that:) And with better language, no less:)

New Birder January 1, 2013
Life list: 326
Most recent lifersCraveri's MurreletAshy Storm-Petral, Grasshopper Sparrow, Willow Flycatcher, Barn Owl, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Sabine's Gull, Scripp's Murrelet, Rhinoceros Auklet, Black Storm-Petral, MacGillivray's Warbler, Black-chinned Sparrow, Gull-billed Tern, Calliope Hummingbird,  Red Knot, Violet-green Swallow, Short-billed Dowitcher, Mountain Quail, Summer Tanager, Dusky Flycatcher, Baltimore Oriole, Sage Thrasher, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Western Screech Owl, Cassin's Vireo, Northern Waterthrush, Rusty Blackbird, Tricolored Blackbird, Burrowing Owl, Prairie Falcon, White-winged Scoter, Herring Gull, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Hermit Warbler, Lewis's Woodpecker, Plumbeous Vireo

-- DONE! My first goal is met: get 100 birds in the first week of January (and I'm over count and still have two days to go). My approach was not to go after the easy birds, but the harder ones and pick up the easier ones along the way. So meeting this goal without really birding the easy spots is encouraging. I might feel different in August.
--  DONE! My goal for the next week (through the 15th) is to get my count up somewhere around 160. That shouldn't be too hard I don't think as I am missing a number of pretty easy species because I've been concentrating on local rarities. I am, however, taking a trip to the grasslands on Sunday hoping to get a new raptor or two and Mountain Bluebird.
--  DONE! With (yeah!) days to go! My goal for this week (through the 22nd of Jan) is to get my numbers up to around 170. I'd like to hit 175. We'll see. (I was 9 birds over... horray!)
--  1/2 DONE This week's goal will be to get my life list to 300 and my seen list up to 195. Did not get my life list to 300. Didn't leave the county this week.
--  Finally completed last week's goal.
--  DONE! This weeks goal (to Feb 14) is to get to 206 seen birds, including at least one owl (heard or seen for owl), and add at least one life bird.

This year's goal: Get life list to 400, see 365 different birds this year, and travel to at least three other states. The last part is the hardest for me.

Seen/heard: 283 (one is under discussion)
To go: 82

My new Blog: http://thisskysings.wordpress.com/

#5 Outsider

Outsider

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

Female Mallard.

I thought brown duck that is how good my book helps me Thanks

#6 Outsider

Outsider

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:20 PM

And the dark patch on the bill says female, also.

Oops... see PSweet covered that:) And with better language, no less:)

Thanks I thought brown duck by my guide

#7 Outsider

Outsider

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

This is a female Mallard. The white borders on the blue speculum (that's the brightly colored part of a duck's wing, on the secondary feathers) and the orange bill with a dark saddle are good things to look for.

I appreciate that should have been simple but I thought brown by guide

#8 Cavan Wood

Cavan Wood

Cavan Wood

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,276 posts
  • LocationCavan, Ontario (near Peterborough)

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

Thanks I thought brown duck by my guide

What guide are you using? May I suggest an early birthday/anniversary/easter/weekend present in the form of a new guide.
Scott

#9 darknight

darknight

Wandering Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

I'd recommend the Sibley's Guide to Birds, it's a bit large, but has excellent drawings and clear labels.

There are 976 species on the ABA list. Looks like I've got a lot of birding to do....

Life List (World): 928 species
ABA area: 621
Latest birds: Rosy-faced Lovebird, Sinaloa Wren, Rufous-capped Warbler, Greater Sage-Grouse, Harris Sparrow, Tufted Duck, Red-throated Pipit, Blue-footed Booby, Black Swift, Scripp's Murrulet, Cassin's Auklet, Pink-footed Shearwater, Island Scrub-Jay, Leach's Storm Petrel, South Polar Skua, Arctic Loon, Saltmarsh Sparrow
California: 323
Riverside County, CA: 246
2014: 364

#10 I-Bird...U-Bird?

I-Bird...U-Bird?

M Denise O

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:46 AM

And...I can carry Sibley's around on my smartphone! :lol:
OK - I've gotten sorta serious about this, now...I have probably seen many of these birds at one point in my lifetime before this, but I have definitely never taken the time to record them...so...here goes!

2014 Lifers:
114-117 01-11 Ring-billed Gull, Savannah Sparrow, Pileated Woodpecker, Great Crested Flycatcher
118-120 01-12 Greater Scaup, Northern Harrier, Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher
121-127 01-26 Red-breasted Merganser, Piping Plover, Willet, Ruddy Turnstone, Sanderling, Forster's Tern, Black Skimmer
128 01-29 Black-and-white Warbler
129 02-01 Lesser Yellowlegs
130-131 02-04 Horned Grebe, Bonaparte's Gull
132 02-08 Great Black-backed Gull

Flickr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users