Ceeege

Raven, Chihuahuan Raven or Both?!

5 posts in this topic

Two large corvids for you from Neal's Lodges, Concan, Texas. Both species are present at the site. From what I remember, calls seemed similar to our European Raven but we weren't aware that the ranges overlapped at the time and assumed Common Raven!

Any ideas? Photos were taken within a few minutes of each other but there were several individuals flying back and forward.

Thanks for looking :)

post-28129-0-51009600-1360535592_thumb.jpg

post-28129-0-36160900-1360535594_thumb.jpg

I tried playing around with photos for ravens when we had one show up here in Illinois -- basically, unless you're seeing ruffled feathers on the nape, photos are no good. If you didn't notice a difference in the calls, I'd call them Common and chalk it up to experience.

I agree with psweet, there's really no way to tell from these photos. Common Raven's are said to have more wedge shaped tails and longer bills, but I've never successfully used those marks in the field.

It seems that Common Raven would be more common where you were.

Thanks for the replies folks.

We have them over the house here in the UK (Commons) and I seem to remember thinking the call of these particular birds in Texas was very similar. We were fairly confident of Common Raven at the time comparing size to Turkey Vultures and also the Chihuahuan Ravens we saw near the coast.

Thanks again!