8 replies to this topic

#1 ecvogel

ecvogel

ecvogel

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:43 AM

update for ibird pro could not be downloaded due to an error. (498).

Android 2.3.7 LG Optimus Elite

#2 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Bigfoot-Big Hammer Spammer Slammer and Benevolent Dictator

• Administrators
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:06 AM

We are aware of the problems some of our users are having with the new iBird PRO 2.2.1 installer. We are listening to the suggestions and complaints and working on improving how iBird is installed.

iBird almost always installs well over a fast WiFi connection. We have found that 98% of the install issues are due to WiFi with not enough bandwidth. If you do not have a fast WiFi at your house or place of employment most public libraries offer free WiFi. You can also get free WiFI at Starbucks, Barnes and Noble and McDonalds.

To learn more about what qualifies as a fast internet connection and to learn how to test yours please click on the link below and scroll down to the
Know Your WiFi Bandwidth section​:

http://ibird.com/blo...roubleshooting/

If your installation does stall please uninstall iBird then use a free file explore app like Astro to remove the iBird_PRO and its contents. Then reinstall. Some users have found iBird will install if they keep their device active; ie: don't let the screen dim or sleep.

Bigfoot
Commander of the Spammer Slammer Hammer

#3 ecvogel

ecvogel

ecvogel

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:22 AM

We are aware of the problems some of our users are having with the new iBird PRO 2.2.1 installer. We are listening to the suggestions and complaints and working on improving how iBird is installed.

iBird almost always installs well over a fast WiFi connection. We have found that 98% of the install issues are due to WiFi with not enough bandwidth. If you do not have a fast WiFi at your house or place of employment most public libraries offer free WiFi. You can also get free WiFI at Starbucks, Barnes and Noble and McDonalds.

To learn more about what qualifies as a fast internet connection and to learn how to test yours please click on the link below and scroll down to the
Know Your WiFi Bandwidth section​:

http://ibird.com/blo...roubleshooting/

If your installation does stall please uninstall iBird then use a free file explore app like Astro to remove the iBird_PRO and its contents. Then reinstall. Some users have found iBird will install if they keep their device active; ie: don't let the screen dim or sleep.

Bigfoot

I just fixed a sync issue by re-installing it. And it didnt complain with a fresh install with my fast wifi connection. Nor did it complain about downloading the db. The error seems to be coming from Google Play. I can install other apps, but this error must have something to do with how play handles this app. I cleaned out all the caches and reset play (reset data) still same error.

#4 goofy166

goofy166

goofy166

• Administrators
  • 1,992 posts
  • LocationSausalito, CA

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:45 AM

If you search Google for "google play error 498" you will get back over 2 million links. This one sums it up: Error 498 means your device has not enough cache memory for install new large app. You can fix it by clean cache memory before install new app."

So what this means is if the app size is great than your cache size you may get this error. Give you are running a fairly old Android OS (<4) my guess is that is the issue.

We just submitted a new version of iBird Pro, version 3.0.6. I could not tell if that was the version you are installing, so please let us know that first. You can tell its the new version on the product page here: iBird Pro Version 3.

Mitch
Mitchell Waite
3001 Bridgeway, Suite K-321
Sausalito CA 94941

#5 ecvogel

ecvogel

ecvogel

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:37 AM

If you search Google for "google play error 498" you will get back over 2 million links. This one sums it up: Error 498 means your device has not enough cache memory for install new large app. You can fix it by clean cache memory before install new app."

So what this means is if the app size is great than your cache size you may get this error. Give you are running a fairly old Android OS (<4) my guess is that is the issue.

We just submitted a new version of iBird Pro, version 3.0.6. I could not tell if that was the version you are installing, so please let us know that first. You can tell its the new version on the product page here: iBird Pro Version 3.

Mitch

Yes 3.0.6. Does this mean the internal Memory I have to have a gig free? or is this cache something else?
I am trying to find a file explorer that will move the db to the ext sd card, I guess I will have to use the pc as the 2 apps I tried are haing a hard time. I do not know if this is feasable but worth a try.

#6 ecvogel

ecvogel

ecvogel

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:39 AM

Yes 3.0.6. Does this mean the internal Memory I have to have a gig free? or is this cache something else?
I am trying to find a file explorer that will move the db to the ext sd card, I guess I will have to use the pc as the 2 apps I tried are haing a hard time. I do not know if this is feasable but worth a try.
Right now I am just trying to copy to make sure it can be done.

#7 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Bigfoot-Big Hammer Spammer Slammer and Benevolent Dictator

• Administrators
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:50 AM

External SD cards can have issues too but some can be resolved.

It would be better if you open a topic in Support@ibird.com

It is easier to service your problems in Support.

Thanks

Bigfoot
Commander of the Spammer Slammer Hammer

#8 ecvogel

ecvogel

ecvogel

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:49 AM

Ok, I got some help on another forum. But it needs a programming change on the app side. Apps can be moved to the Ext storage, even if there is internal storage. It can be done via App2SD, but the programmer has to allow it. Could you please do this? I have 31.1 gigs free space on the Ext. Storage awaiting your program. Internal is only 2 gig.

#9 goofy166

goofy166

goofy166

• Administrators
  • 1,992 posts
  • LocationSausalito, CA

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

Ok, I got some help on another forum. But it needs a programming change on the app side. Apps can be moved to the Ext storage, even if there is internal storage. It can be done via App2SD, but the programmer has to allow it. Could you please do this? I have 31.1 gigs free space on the Ext. Storage awaiting your program. Internal is only 2 gig.

Developers CAN NOT control where their app is installed. They CAN request the OS to install the database on the available SD Card but then the OS decides where to put the app. Thus the final location of the database will depend on the device, the OS version and the way the manufacturer implemented the OS. The newest versions of Android 4 have the ability to let you move an app from internal memory to SD Memory and you don't need a 3rd party app like App2SD but if the button for moving the app is disabled that means it won't be allowed. It has nothing to do with the developer setting it up that way.
Mitchell Waite
3001 Bridgeway, Suite K-321
Sausalito CA 94941

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users