#1 BuckeyeBruce

BuckeyeBruce

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationDublin, OH

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:36 AM

There may not be enough info here to speculate, but I'm curious to know what you might think. In central Ohio today (Highbanks Metropark) I think I saw 10-12 Northern Flickers. Unfortunately, the only view I had of them was from the rear as they were flying away. They were bigger than a robin, about the size of a crow. They were on the ground, among tall grass and when they flew away I saw they had tan wings, a white back, and red areas on their heads. They flew to an area of trees and perched like woodpeckers. The trees were so thick, with such a tangle of branches, that my camera couldn't focus. None of them stayed long enough to manually focus. I did get a poorly focused attempt. I've never seen a Northern Flicker - do they have white backs? Also, any alternative ideas on what they might be? I'll be back to that area, hoping to see them again.

I've seen better pictures of "Nessie", but here is what I have:

Posted Image

Thanks!

#2 jdeitsch

jdeitsch

Pro-life Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,818 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:36 AM

Yup, a Northern Flicker,

2014: 196

Gwinnett County: 143/182

Life List: 309: Sedge Wren

Flickr: http://www.flickr.co.../103058792@N02/

West Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....0669-west-trip/

Trip Report Mini: http://www.whatbird....eorgia-big-day/

#3 jhauser42

jhauser42

Big Year Data Recorder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:37 AM

Seconded

Life List (Started Aug 2012): 166

Latest: Purple Martin: 11 July 2014

#4 Phoenix Bird

Phoenix Bird

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationPort Ryerse, Ontario

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:49 AM

thirded

#5 Aveschapines

Aveschapines

Helen - la pajarera fantástica

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationQuetzaltenango, Guatemala

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:39 AM

Agreed; and I'd add that they do have white rumps (lower back, just above the tail between the wings) and that's a good field mark for a Flicker flying away from you. Also poking around on the ground (probably hunting for ants) and perching on the side of a tree trunk or large branch is very typical Flicker behavior.

Latest lifer: Ruddy-Capped Nightingale-Thrush

#6 Pat B.

Pat B.

Young at heart birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:29 AM

The red mark, which is V-shaped, on the nape is a sign that it is one of the Yellow-shafted variety (not present on Red-shafted), which is right for your location. You should be able to see the quite bright yellow under the wings and tail, and the white rump, which is very prominent. A Yellow-shafted male will have a black "moustache" (red in Red-shafted); the female has none. Helen is right about the behavior.

~ Pat ~ I eBird. Do you?

Life list 280. Latest: Bobolink, Brown Creeper, Mute Swan, Surf Scoter, Sabine's Gull, Solitary Sandpiper, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Black Tern, Ruddy Turnstone, Snowy Plover

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users