#1 tim.birdboy

tim.birdboy

tim.birdboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:19 AM

Hello everyone!

I not only enjoy observing, and to some extent, photographing birds, but drawing them as well.  I thought that by creating a thread, perhaps it would encourage others on the forum to show off some of their bird-related art.  And for those of you who don't draw, paint, etc., maybe you'll be inspired to try your hand at it.  Please don't be shy about posting your work, I'd love to see it!  It can be anything, a sketch, a half-way done painting, anything, just reply and attach your scan or picture. 

And, of course, do not critique others work unless they request! Smile

Have fun!

#2 tim.birdboy

tim.birdboy

tim.birdboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:28 AM

I'll start off by posting a colored pencil I completed a few days ago.  It's (supposed to be) an adult breeding Clark's Grebe.  I used Prismacolor pencils on...cardstock. Embarrassed

Critique if you'd like! 

Attached Files

• Attached File  clgr.jpg   464.57KB   26 downloads

#3 Possumbird55

Possumbird55

Possumbird55

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:38 AM

Wow!  What talent you have.  Thanks for sharing.

#4 spottedowl

spottedowl

spottedowl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:52 AM

Great Grebe! Keep up the good work! I would love to show some of my bird artwork as well. Actually, my avatar ( though difficult to see) is a Black Crowned Night Heron that I drew.

#5 featherbrain

featherbrain

featherbrain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:07 PM

Nice Clark's Grebe (though I had already seen it Stick out tongue)!

Here's a Mourning Warbler that I drew a while back, Prismacolor Pencils on some type of artists paper Stick out tongue. Oh and it's a scan so it comes through more splotchy then it actually is in real life...

Don't mind criticism, give it to me all you want, afterall what is there to learn when nobody tells me what's wrong? Big Smile

Attached Files

#6 tim.birdboy

tim.birdboy

tim.birdboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:35 PM

Here is a Black-throated Sparrow I completed this afternoon. I was rather frustrated with the eye, and that little nick on the tip of the bill came out of no where, I'll have to touch that up. Anyways, tell me what you think, I'm open to any criticism!

Attached Files

#7 tim.birdboy

tim.birdboy

tim.birdboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:37 PM

spottedowl:
Great Grebe! Keep up the good work! I would love to show some of my bird artwork as well. Actually, my avatar ( though difficult to see) is a Black Crowned Night Heron that I drew.

Thanks spottedowl!  Feel free to post any, or all, of your work!

#8 joshc

joshc

joshc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:54 PM

Excellent drawings you guys!  Seriously, you guys are good.

Here are a few drawings I did.  One is a Greater Shearwater in pen, and the other is a Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch in colored pencil.  You guess which is which (it is not that hard though)

Good Luck Birding                                                                                                       Josh

Attached Files

#9 joshc

joshc

joshc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:56 PM

This is the other.

Attached Files

#10 featherbrain

featherbrain

featherbrain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 06:14 AM

Wow, great job! I especially like your Greater Shearwater, I haven't ventured much out of pencil drawings, maybe I should take a try at ink...

#11 tim.birdboy

tim.birdboy

tim.birdboy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 07:06 AM

Superb work, Josh!  You have acheived what I find most important in bird art, accurate body shape and proportions.  Unfortunately, I not often can get it "just right."  

I love pen-and-ink, your shearwater is excellent, what pen did/do you use?

#12 spottedowl

spottedowl

spottedowl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:58 AM

Dickcissel

#13 spottedowl

spottedowl

spottedowl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:55 PM

I am having trouble getting the painting in the post.

#14 joshc

joshc

joshc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:28 PM

tim.birdboy:

I love pen-and-ink, your shearwater is excellent, what pen did/do you use?

What do you mean what pen did I use?  I just picked up a random black pen and started working.

Thank you for the nice comments.

Good Luck Birding                                                                                                      Josh

#15 spottedowl

spottedowl

spottedowl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:14 PM

Ok. I still haven't quite been able to get my painting in.  I put it as my avatar so everyone could sort of see it. It is a Dickcissel and is done in watercolor.

#16 birdseye

birdseye

birdseye

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 02:41 PM

here is hint on recording your drawings... if your scanner only does 1200x1200 or less, you would be better off shooting a picture with your camera....use the super macro, (or macro)...get close enuf to fill the frame about 75%( to avoid distortion of the lens on the outside corners).. shoot at the highest resoulution your camera gives you...i shoot mine on the "p" settings, with the light option set to the kind of bulbs providing the light...incandesent, floresent, sunlight,etc..everything else auto... i try to get enuf lightin so i dont have to worry about flash burnout... and shoot away... you can then crop it if you need to... try it.. you'll like it...by the way, nice drawings!

#17 birdseye

birdseye

birdseye

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:19 AM

what happened? this is a great thread, anyone else got any more pictures? they were great! lets not let the thread die

#18 Andy Lee

Andy Lee

Andy Lee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:15 PM

All right, guys Here is my drawing of a great black-backed gull based on one of Chris Bourg's fantabulous photos.

Attached Files

• Attached File  ???.jpg   570.85KB   9 downloads

#19 Andy Lee

Andy Lee

Andy Lee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:09 PM

And this is a carving made out of wood and painted with watercolor. It isn't of a particular species.

And like birdseye said, this thread musn't die! It's a good one! Come on! Move it! Share your work!

Attached Files

#20 Andy Lee

Andy Lee

Andy Lee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:31 PM

And a bald eagle.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users