Justin

Help identify this water bird please!

26 posts in this topic

My wife saw this at a garage sale. I was wondering what it is. She was told European water bird. Sorry that it is dead. I agree that it would be more beautiful if alive.

1 person likes this

Hmmm... a Ghost Bird? :)

I see no photo. I know some people use Flckr, I use imgur. I'm sure there are other sites and/or methods which allow for easy posting of pics. There is a thread on Whatbird somewhere that gives all the details but I'm not sure where it is exactly any more. (My memory is about as blank as the spot your photo should have been.) Maybe someone else can help you out... :mellow:

Welcome to Whatbird, by the way. :D

Haha! That was my thought! How big is it? Definitely an alcid of some sort. I wonder how many mounted great auks there are?

Razorbill was a thought, too. I don't know what alcids there are in places other than North America.

Nothing in the North Atlantic -- there's a couple of Japanese species that don't make it to N. Am, and one (Long-billed Murrelet) that's a vagrant. All of the others occur normally in N.Am.

Ok. I'm pretty sure this is not legal to have in possession. Just an FYI. ;)

egads this route was taken before with disastrous results :o

What do you think about the bird species?

egads this route was taken before with disastrous results :o

What do you think about the bird species?

Like I said. Just an FYI, OP might not want to continue posting on other sites. Not judging. I'm sure OP did not know about the law. As for the exact ID, don't know......

Like I said. Just an FYI, OP might not want to continue posting on other sites. Not judging. I'm sure OP did not know about the law. As for the exact ID, don't know......

But OP didn't say they bought it. Just saw at a garage sail. It could be that his wife just photographed it there.

But OP didn't say they bought it. Just saw at a garage sail. It could be that his wife just photographed it there.

Oh, ok, let's go with that. Doesn't that seem to be such a random thing to find at a garage sale? I mean, a stuffed pheasant or duck I could see, but a razorbill? I wonder what the story is behind that? Just curious. :huh:

I have no taxidermy just want to know what it is.

It was very old. I'd say its definitely more than 50 years old maybe older. Hmm. So great auk or this 1st winter thing? I thought it was a penguin of some kind.

I have no other taxidermy and honestly had and still have no idea what this is. It is very old. I'd say its definitely more than 50 years old maybe older. I could measure it.

Remember, you don't own this one either, you photographed it at a garage sale. ;)

The laws that govern possession of dead birds had grandfather clauses, I believe, so if it's old enough it would be perfectly legal. And from what I've been able to find, it isn't a Great Auk -- they should have a white patch in front of the eye. (They'd also be big, nearly 3 feet long.) A Razorbill would be the closest living relative.

A Penguin would have no visible bend in the wing, just the joint at the shoulder.

The laws that govern possession of dead birds had grandfather clauses, I believe, so if it's old enough it would be perfectly legal. And from what I've been able to find, it isn't a Great Auk -- they should have a white patch in front of the eye. (They'd also be big, nearly 3 feet long.) A Razorbill would be the closest living relative.

A Penguin would have no visible bend in the wing, just the joint at the shoulder.

I thought the act was started in 1918? Bird looks less than 90 years + old to me. :)

It was, but there's no reason that a preserved specimen couldn't last that long -- after all, Museums still have preserved Great Auks and Passenger Pigeons!

1 person likes this

Well, glad she did not buy it. It sounds like that would be a terrible idea. I will tell her to stick to milk glass.

Well, glad she did not buy it. It sounds like that would be a terrible idea. I will tell her to stick to milk glass.

LOL! But it made for such a cool thread! Too bad we could not come up with an exact ID.

I researched the Razorbill and found a picture that matches exactly. It was DEFINITELY a juvenile British razorbill. The adults get a white line on the bill but juvenile doesn't. So, mystery solved.

Sticking to live birds. Except chicken.

1 person likes this

I have no taxidermy just want to know what it is.

It was very old. I'd say its definitely more than 50 years old maybe older. Hmm. So great auk or this 1st winter thing? I thought it was a penguin of some kind.

I think you have to forget about the Great Auk,,, the stuffed bird is way too small based on the size comparison to the background phone.

No one has trumped 1st winter Razorbill, and the size would be right (17 ") so until someone does I'd stick with that.