Texachusetts

Tropical vs Couch's Kingbird...can it get an ID just from my picture?

6 posts in this topic

Edinburg Texas, Rio Grande Valley. Is there a way to ID which Kingbird without hearing it? In range for both Couch and tropical...bird was alone IEo6rlW.jpg and 3YTlJiX.jpg and just to share my favorite lifer so far...a Common Pauraque. What an awesome creature! 3eTqm54.jpg. Thanks for any help.

2 people like this

I suspected that was true Billy, and it was a very quiet bird. You aren't allowed to play recordings in the park and we were there another hour so by the time I listened, I wasn't sure. I had a pair of Couch's from further north, but here there are pretty equal numbers of both. Hopefully I'll see/hear a Tropical when someone is around who knows.

Awesome Shots!!! I had to look up your common Pauraque. I knew he was a form of Night Hawk or Poorwill. But absolutly Beautiful. You have every right to show it off. Thank you for showing me this Awesome Bird. :o My jaw fell right open.

I was able to get a pair of Tropical Kingbirds at Quinta Mazatlan in McAllen today. They were also totally non-chatty, but several people said the pair have been there all week and numerous people heard them and confirmed them as Tropical! Yay!

1 person likes this