Bird Brain

Confirm Merlin, Taiga population

6 posts in this topic

According to my Sibley's, this should be a taiga variety of Merlin. I'm basing this on its white throat, wide tail-bands, and weak mustache. Comments...pros or cons??

8496884096_16a53b3a61.jpg

1-Thunder Valley Road...02-20-2013 005 by littlebear_elder, on Flickr

8495778249_c1f2d032d1.jpg

1-Thunder Valley Road...02-20-2013 012 by littlebear_elder, on Flickr

8496881450_e3ee5b96ed.jpg

1-1-Thunder Valley Road...02-20-2013 003 by littlebear_elder, on Flickr

I'm not convinced just by the color given the photos in Wheeler, but he does note that Prairie have a fainter mustache but are generally lighter than Taiga. This bird seems dark. Mustache seems fainter than I would expect. That said, this bird does look more heavily streaked than he shows Prairie.

My vote is on either Adult female or juvenille Taiga. But I'm no expert.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the lighting was bad when I took these photos, and I had to lighten them up quite a bit to bring out the details. It was really darker than the photo depicts.

I think cany has it pegged, actually...either juvie or adult female. Maybe you're more expert than you give yourself credit for, cany! :)

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the lighting was bad when I took these photos, and I had to lighten them up quite a bit to bring out the details. It was really darker than the photo depicts.

I think cany has it pegged, actually...either juvie or adult female. Maybe you're more expert than you give yourself credit for, cany! :)

Haha:) If I am correct, it is only thanks to Wheeler. I also looked on the Cornell Labs site and that site seems to indicate the same to me. Sadly, though, I am often wrong:)