#1 jimswinder

jimswinder

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

Just thought I would share this video of one of the two Pileated Woodpeckers that visit my Bird Feeding Station every now and then...

This one came by this morning and was enjoying the suet I have out...

My Backyard Bird Pictures:
http://www.facebook....96523306&type=3

#2 folkeye

folkeye

Quit being a butter-butt!

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

They really are stunning birds. Thanks for sharing!

Starting a NEW gallery of my better bird shots. Not happy with Flickrs over-busy re-design.

http://www.ipernity....e/293739?rev=31

Recent Lifers: Arctic Tern, Tufted Puffin, Merlin, Northern Hawk Owl, Northwestern Crow, Pacific Wren, Pine Grosbeak, American Dipper, White-winged Scoter

Blue-footed Booby, Lincoln's Sparrow, Nelson's Sparrow, Pacific Golden Plover, Marsh Wren, Dunlin, Sora, Snow Goose, Herring Gull, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, American Redstart, California Thrasher, Cactus Wren, Black-vented Shearwater (Big 260), Sandhill Crane, Greater White-fronted Goose

#3 Amber H

Amber H

One Bad Herper Chick

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,458 posts
  • LocationMorgan County, Alabama

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

I am jealous!

Life list: 374

Year list: 354

Alabama: 277

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."- Robin Williams

#4 RocknRobin

RocknRobin

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationCentral, Wisconsin

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

They are awesome! It's great when you get a chance to watch one for awhile!

#5 Kerryks

Kerryks

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • LocationHamburg NY

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

I hear them in the woods behind me and have seen them. Not have visited my feeders. At least not when I'm watching.
Great video :)

#6 HoosierFan90

HoosierFan90

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • LocationCentral Indiana

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:29 PM

Nice video! How long have the Pileateds been around the feeding station?

Lifelist: 222

Latest Lifers: Sora, Long-billed Dowitcher, Prothonotary Warbler, Northern Waterthrush, Lincoln's Sparrow, Least Sandpiper, Semipalmated Plover, Red-eyed Vireo, Black-billed Cuckoo, Mourning Warbler, Savannah Sparrow, Black-bellied Whistling-Duck, Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Black-capped Chickadee, Bank Swallow, White-eyed Vireo, Acadian Flycatcher, Prairie Warbler, Henslow's Sparrow, Wood Thrush, Northern Bobwhite, Upland Sandpiper, Northern Parula, Willow Flycatcher, Mississippi Kite

Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...os/91794422@N06

Blog: http://conservationpiece.blogspot.com/

"The ultimate value in these marshes is wildness, and the crane is wildness incarnate. But conservation of wildness is self-defeating, for to cherish we must see and fondle, and when enough have seen and fondled, there is no wilderness left to cherish." - Aldo Leopold

#7 jimswinder

jimswinder

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:23 AM

Nice video! How long have the Pileateds been around the feeding station?

Actually they were around before I put up my feeders...which I put up before December I think...

We used to have a dead tree right behind where the feeders are, but I took it down last year...

#8 Kaysei

Kaysei

Kaysei

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationsouth GA yall

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:30 AM

I'm jealous too! The ones I've seen never let me get close enough to get really good pics.

#9 jimswinder

jimswinder

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

I'm jealous too! The ones I've seen never let me get close enough to get really good pics.

I'm about 50' away from my feeder..looking out thru a second story window and using the zoom on the Camcorder...

#10 threeofhardts

threeofhardts

threeofhardts

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • LocationWest Michigan

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:52 AM

Great video. I'd give my pinky finger on my right hand to see one of these beauties. Hey, since you have two, you wouldn't mind sending one my way, would ya?

(Edited to add: I love your avatar jimswinder.)

I'd rather be birding.

#11 jimswinder

jimswinder

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

Great video. I'd give my pinky finger on my right hand to see one of these beauties. Hey, since you have two, you wouldn't mind sending one my way, would ya?

What's your address...I'll give it to one of them and send them on their way... :unsure:

#12 RocknRobin

RocknRobin

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationCentral, Wisconsin

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:18 AM

The one in my avatar flew in and started eating the fruits on a flowering crab tree while I was taking pics of chickadees. (Talk about being in the right place at the right time AND having your camera) Up until then, I didn't know they ate berries or fruits.

I have never seen one on our suet, which doesn't mean they haven't been there. We have lots of old, dead trees on the property, so they are pretty content with those I think.

#13 Boilerjoanne

Boilerjoanne

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationWhite Rock, BC

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

We have pileated woodpeckers in the woods behind our house...the neighbor said one year it was great fun watching the young babies try to fly and control their big heads and long necks!

One came to our feeder ONCE, but I see them in the woods once a week. Love these birds :)

#14 JennieAmber

JennieAmber

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

Awesome video. I would love to catch a woodpecker at my feeder.

#15 sandylee

sandylee

sandylee

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Great video! You have the IDEAL set-up to attract Pileateds to your suet! Nice and solid.

Years ago, when I had my suet basket hung from the chain that usually come with it, a Pileated got her foot STUCK in the chain! I about had an "attack"! Fortunately, she got free with no damange done. I immediately removed the chain and anchored the basket to the side of the wooden feeder. Mine show up at my suet basket several times a day now.... and usually let me know when they are on their way! Great birds!

#16 threeofhardts

threeofhardts

threeofhardts

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • LocationWest Michigan

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

sandylee ~ I made a big suet feeder just for Pileateds with a large backboard for them to grasp/rest their tails, but they still haven't made an appearance. Everyone else seems to like it, though. Guess I have to put up a sign, "Pileateds Welcome...all others use the smaller suet feeders."

Think it'll work? :D

I know they're around. They're regularly spotted at the Wastewater Treatment facility in Muskegon and a co-worker has one that visits her yard regularly just 4 miles from my home. I'm not giving up!

I'd rather be birding.

#17 sandylee

sandylee

sandylee

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

Could work TOH! :P Seriously, don't give up! They are pretty territorial... so as there are more "babies" out there, could likely expand their range to your yard. Just a couple of my other observations.... if I happen to switch from home-made to "store-bought" suet, the Pileateds don't show up much. (maybe they don't like the seeds/other stuff in the store-bought cakes?) I haven't used just plain hunks of beef suet... but I have seen Pileateds eating that on other folks feeders... especially if it's just hung on a tree trunk (up pretty high)... but then the squirrels usually ruin it. I'm also not "sold" on the tail-rest idea... they seem to like to counter-balance themselves with their tail kind of "hooked under" the basket... a tail-rest may actually put them in a more awkward (for them!) position, although the woodpecker in the video doesn't seem to be having a problem!
Good luck!

#18 Kerryks

Kerryks

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • LocationHamburg NY

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

I got this suet feeder this past fall, hoping it would attract them.
http://shop.wbu.com/...rop-suet-feeder

#19 BirdieBetsy

BirdieBetsy

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • LocationNewnan, Georgia

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

Wow! We have many dead trees around and I have seen them high in the trees...but never close like this! I think your suet the way your suet is posted helps attract them too. Thanks for posting...a treat for me to see!

#20 jimswinder

jimswinder

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

I think your suet the way your suet is posted helps attract them too. Thanks for posting...a treat for me to see!

Actually had it just hanging when they first started visiting and when I saw them having a "swinging" good time, decided to make it easier on them and moved it to the top.

PS Sorry for the horrible picture...cheap camera...but it's the Pilated and a Stellar Jay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users