beachgal17214

grape jelly

14 posts in this topic

New to this forum, and really gaining a lot of info from reading .. thanks everyone. I would like some ideas on how to put out grape jelly to attract different types of birds. Is there a device that the jelly goes into? Is there a way to use jelly in a suet cage?

They have bird feeders that have little cups for putting jelly into. I didn't want to spend the extra money though & since we have an orange tree in our yard, I just cut an orange in half, hollow out a bit & put the jelly in there then place it on our tray feeder. The warblers and mockingbirds seem to like it. Also, I like to feed my birds organic & have been unable to find an organic grape jelly. So I use mixed berry & it works just fine. This is the sort of feeder they sell for jelly. I would imagine you could use any condiment sized-bowl though. http://www.amazon.com/Birds-Choice-Oriole-Jelly-Feeder/dp/B0033D6D84

Hi! Welcome! Since grape jelly would freeze solid up here in MI in the winter, I can only put it out in warmer weather... but it's really easy. Just a couple of spoonfuls in something like a custard dish...if you have ants in your yard...they will find it, so set the dish in a "moat".... a small planter-saucer with water in it works well. Orioles are my "most often" visitors, but Robins and Woodpeckers like it too. I change the jelly daily (well, most of the time I just wash a refill the dish daily.... since the birds eat it all!)... that way the jelly doesn't get gooey. Where are you located?

I have had the best luck with a homemade platform with several bowls on it and feed mostly strawberry jelly or jam, but also if I have diced fruit or mealworms even orange juice there are some birds that like the variety of choices. the tanagers especially love fruit cocktail and the orioles really sip the orange juice and more birds have learned to eat watermelon and I dice up pieces or even leave some extra on the rind and set the rind out. we do have long rough winters here and most of the summer birds don't arrive till late april or even may. and we get freezing temps up into spring so I don't use the jelly and fruit feeders till it warms up.

just a precaution when you are using human food for birds. Do not used "sugar free" They usually have artificial sweteners which might be toxic to birds - and humans but that is for a different forum.

3 people like this

HPIM0029144x144-1.jpg I deli plastic box hung by nylon strings with a can of fruit cocktail from summertime

Awe. I want some cool looking birds like those! ^^^^^ Maybe in the spring.

You definitely have a chance at getting tanagers and orioles in the summer. :)

Great info everyone... someone asked.. I live on Chincoteague Island, Virginia. The birds here are going to be introduced to fruit and jelly!!

I bought a couple Birdola Stacker Hangers for my grape jelly and orange halves. I think they were about $3.00 each. For the jelly I drilled a hole in a small candy dish then slide it down the hanger to rest on the base. It works really well.

baby_orioles.jpg

1 person likes this

Awe. I want some cool looking birds like those! ^^^^^ Maybe in the spring.

I see orioles almost anywhere I go in summer here in CA. I'd say you have a good chance of getting them in your yard this summer! Western Tanagers though aren't as common. . .

Maybe I just never noticed them before. Hard to miss and/or forget a bright orange/yellow bird, though.