#1 beachgal17214

beachgal17214

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationChincoteague Island, Virginia

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

New to this forum, and really gaining a lot of info from reading .. thanks everyone. I would like some ideas on how to put out grape jelly to attract different types of birds. Is there a device that the jelly goes into? Is there a way to use jelly in a suet cage?

#2 7birdmadgirl7

7birdmadgirl7

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

They have bird feeders that have little cups for putting jelly into. I didn't want to spend the extra money though & since we have an orange tree in our yard, I just cut an orange in half, hollow out a bit & put the jelly in there then place it on our tray feeder. The warblers and mockingbirds seem to like it. Also, I like to feed my birds organic & have been unable to find an organic grape jelly. So I use mixed berry & it works just fine. This is the sort of feeder they sell for jelly. I would imagine you could use any condiment sized-bowl though. http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0033D6D84

#3 sandylee

sandylee

sandylee

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:24 PM

Hi! Welcome! Since grape jelly would freeze solid up here in MI in the winter, I can only put it out in warmer weather... but it's really easy. Just a couple of spoonfuls in something like a custard dish...if you have ants in your yard...they will find it, so set the dish in a "moat".... a small planter-saucer with water in it works well. Orioles are my "most often" visitors, but Robins and Woodpeckers like it too. I change the jelly daily (well, most of the time I just wash a refill the dish daily.... since the birds eat it all!)... that way the jelly doesn't get gooey. Where are you located?

#4 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts
  • Locationdurango colorado

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

I have had the best luck with a homemade platform with several bowls on it and feed mostly strawberry jelly or jam, but also if I have diced fruit or mealworms even orange juice there are some birds that like the variety of choices. the tanagers especially love fruit cocktail and the orioles really sip the orange juice and more birds have learned to eat watermelon and I dice up pieces or even leave some extra on the rind and set the rind out. we do have long rough winters here and most of the summer birds don't arrive till late april or even may. and we get freezing temps up into spring so I don't use the jelly and fruit feeders till it warms up.

#5 spyonabird

spyonabird

spyonabird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

just a precaution when you are using human food for birds. Do not used "sugar free" They usually have artificial sweteners which might be toxic to birds - and humans but that is for a different forum.
Denise

"There is an eagle in me that wants to soar, and there is a hippopotamus in me that wants to wallow in the mud."
Carl Sandburg

#6 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

Posted Image I deli plastic box hung by nylon strings with a can of fruit cocktail from summertime

#7 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

Posted Image

#8 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

Posted Image

#9 7birdmadgirl7

7birdmadgirl7

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:19 PM

Awe. I want some cool looking birds like those! ^^^^^ Maybe in the spring.

#10 meghann

meghann

suprm2001

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,189 posts
  • LocationCSRA, Georgia

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

You definitely have a chance at getting tanagers and orioles in the summer. :)

-Army wife, homeschooling mom to 4, photographer, insomniac ninja

Life list: 179

Yard list (old house): 73
Yard list (new house): 71
2014 so far: 144

#11 beachgal17214

beachgal17214

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationChincoteague Island, Virginia

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

Great info everyone... someone asked.. I live on Chincoteague Island, Virginia. The birds here are going to be introduced to fruit and jelly!!

#12 threeofhardts

threeofhardts

threeofhardts

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts
  • LocationWest Michigan

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

I bought a couple Birdola Stacker Hangers for my grape jelly and orange halves. I think they were about $3.00 each. For the jelly I drilled a hole in a small candy dish then slide it down the hanger to rest on the base. It works really well.

Posted Image

I'd rather be birding.

#13 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,576 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:58 AM

I see orioles almost anywhere I go in summer here in CA. I'd say you have a good chance of getting them in your yard this summer! Western Tanagers though aren't as common. . .

ABA list: 425 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow, Mountain Quail
Yearlist: 326 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow
Yard List- 100!! latest: Olive-sided Flycatcher
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#14 7birdmadgirl7

7birdmadgirl7

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

Maybe I just never noticed them before. Hard to miss and/or forget a bright orange/yellow bird, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users