4 replies to this topic

#1 n2jesus

n2jesus

n2jesus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 06:39 PM

In the middle of South Carolina, bird found on ground with sibling covered in ants. Initially bird would not eat, move or poop... now (few hours later after feedings) it does all. Could fit inside chicken egg right now. Neck is almost crane-like, black thin bill still has (/forums/emoticons/emotion-18.gifam I saying this right?) it's egg tooth on the end. Down is beige with black roots and black skin. Sides of skull have no down whatsoever. Eyelids close from bottom to top (opposite humans). Has oversized feet for bird this size. No, I know nothing about birds. Someone please identify for me./forums/emoticons/emotion-9.gif

#2 goofy166

goofy166

goofy166

• Administrators
  • 1960 posts
  • LocationSausalito, CA

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:11 PM

I'm going to let David, our resident saviour, help you with this but I know some things he will want to know.

Did you notice a nest near by?

Where you on a beach?

Where the parents around?

What are you feeding it?

I'm not sure I would have been able to leave it alone either, but I also know that if it imprints with you, you have a life long friend, because it won't learn how to fend on its own, or how to find food, or avoid predators, yada yada. /forums/emoticons/emotion-7.gif Too late for that now. I bet there are places you can take yuor baby, like a nature center, and they will nurse it back to health, I just don't know where they would be in SC /forums/emoticons/emotion-60.gif . Anyway I notified David to read this and see if he can help.

#3 n2jesus

n2jesus

n2jesus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 03:02 AM

Well, it was under 'trees' so, I'll have my daughter go out and check when it gets light out.

No beach nearby - 15 miles from nearest lake shore.

No bird nearby that she saw/heard.

We're feeding it a mixture that resembles paste (dry dog food soaked in water) as recommended by an animal clinic two counties away which specializes in bird rescue (we'll be taking it there in about 12 hours).

My daughter is the one who found it and the sole care-giver at this point - this way, I have no attachment, can supervise, and have no qualms about doing what's best for the bird - despite my own offsprings feelings later.

Gotta go to work, thanks for the assist,

Ralph

#4 David Lukas

David Lukas

David Lukas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:32 AM

Ralph,

I am not sure what the identity of this bird might be. Even with a fascinating new book called "Nests, Eggs, and Nestlings of North American Birds" in hand I'm not able to give you much more information. The problem is that baby birds are not well illustrated in any books (in fact babies are not well known for a good number of species). If I had to hazard a guess I might so it's a woodpecker, simply because it sounds like it's a fairly large bird (for a baby) and it has a longish bill.

However, at this point the identity of the bird is less important than keeping it alive. As always it is better to leave baby animals alone and let the parents tend to them. It is a tremendous amount of work to keep one alive and few humans are willing to keep up with the regular feedings that are absolutely essential. (In an experiment, researchers fed one baby robin 14 feet of earthworm in ONE feeding before it was satiated, then a half hour later it would be hungry again) At this point, your best hope is to get it to a wild animal center that specializes in the care of baby animals -- otherwise you have to commit to the care of this creature yourself.

If it survives you may have your question as to its identity answered -- if so, please let us know!

Best of luck with this,

David Lukas and Simone Whitecloud

#5 goofy166

goofy166

goofy166

• Administrators
  • 1960 posts
  • LocationSausalito, CA

Posted 15 July 2005 - 05:28 PM

Ralph: Im glad to hear your are taking it to the bird rescue, man that is some lucky bird--one moment being eaten alive by ants, the next being cleaned and hand fed by your daughter. I admire her. She should feel proud about what she has done.

And what a wonderful lesson you are teaching her, I bet she will always remember the baby bird she saved from those bad ants.

Maybe she can visit the baby at the rescue center and see what it grows into, wouldn't that be great?

Anyway I wish you the best and if I am ever reincarnated into a bird and fall out of the nest I hope its near you. /forums/emoticons/emotion-2.gif

Mitch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users