Photo
- - - - -

Small Eurasian Collared Dove.....Or Ringed Turtle Dove??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bird Brain

Bird Brain

Bird Brain

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,069 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

Spotted this one hiding in our flower bed yesterday when I went out to put bird seed on the feeder. I walked up to within 8-10 ft. of it and it showed no fear of me. I tossed some seed out to it and it began to eat immediately as if used to being fed. All the while it kept looking up skyward as if it was afraid of an aerial assult by a hawk or something else. It ate for a few minutes then hopped up on a decorative concrete border.
Size of a Mourning Dove, definitely smaller than a Eurasian Collared Dove. (I have EC Doves daily at the feeder). Looking in my Sibley's, this Dove looks like a Ringed Turtle Dove. Though out of range for here, I'm thinking it could be an escapee, especially since it was so tame. Notice its white head contrasting with body color, and pale primaries, as opposed to dark primaries on a EC Dove.
Thoughts, anyone?

Posted Image
1-Peyen Road 3-5-13..Collared Dove..Cooper's 3-7-13 018 by littlebear_elder, on Flickr

Posted Image
1-Peyen Road 3-5-13..Collared Dove..Cooper's 3-7-13 028 by littlebear_elder, on Flickr

Posted Image
1-Peyen Road 3-5-13..Collared Dove..Cooper's 3-7-13 019 by littlebear_elder, on Flickr

Posted Image
Peyen Road 3-5-13..Collared Dove..Cooper's 3-7-13 025 by littlebear_elder, on Flickr

We did not inherit Mother Earth from our Ancestors.....

We have borrowed Her from our Descendants.

Chief Seattle of the Suquamish Tribe (paraphrased)

Man belongs to the Earth...Earth does not belong to Man.

Black Elk of the Lakota Tribe

#2 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,900 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:43 PM

Looks like a Ringed Turtle Dove. They're pretty much escapees everywhere -- there was a small population in Joliet, IL for awhile, and Sibley's shows a small population in Los Angeles, but I would imagine that any persistent population is being supplemented with escapes.

#3 IvoryBillHope

IvoryBillHope

North Carolina Teen Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,196 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

Seconded.

Life List- 219
2014- 137

Recent lifers- Sandwich Tern, Black Skimmer, Whimbrel, Wilson's Plover!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yard List- 73

#4 Bird Brain

Bird Brain

Bird Brain

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,069 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

Thanks, y'all. That's how I had it pegged.

#5 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,395 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal. Foothills, Cleveland Ntl. Forest

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:04 PM

Spotted this one hiding in our flower bed yesterday when I went out to put bird seed on the feeder. I walked up to within 8-10 ft. of it and it showed no fear of me. I tossed some seed out to it and it began to eat immediately as if used to being fed. All the while it kept looking up skyward as if it was afraid of an aerial assult by a hawk or something else. It ate for a few minutes then hopped up on a decorative concrete border.
Size of a Mourning Dove, definitely smaller than a Eurasian Collared Dove. (I have EC Doves daily at the feeder). Looking in my Sibley's, this Dove looks like a Ringed Turtle Dove. Though out of range for here, I'm thinking it could be an escapee, especially since it was so tame. Notice its white head contrasting with body color, and pale primaries, as opposed to dark primaries on a EC Dove.
Thoughts, anyone?

Posted Image
1-Peyen Road 3-5-13..Collared Dove..Cooper's 3-7-13 018 by littlebear_elder, on Flickr

Posted Image
1-Peyen Road 3-5-13..Collared Dove..Cooper's 3-7-13 028 by littlebear_elder, on Flickr

Posted Image
1-Peyen Road 3-5-13..Collared Dove..Cooper's 3-7-13 019 by littlebear_elder, on Flickr

Posted Image
Peyen Road 3-5-13..Collared Dove..Cooper's 3-7-13 025 by littlebear_elder, on Flickr

Funny story about this bird and it's being so tame.

About 1997, I headed a community project to remove (what turned out to be about 50+ tons or so) of arrundo donax (that nasty invasive, water sucking, horrible, awful creek species that clogs the creeks and drives the native willow etc. out) out of our creeks. I worked for almost nine weeks straight organizing crews of people up to 70 at a time, directing traffic, arm waving (!) and feeding everyone lunch. My leg was in a brace from surgery, so I did the running and organizing for it and helped at the roadside.

Among those who helped was the county's minimum security fire crew for about a week (anything to get outside, I guess). This was excruciating work (especially in the heat) where everything was cut with chainsaw, then HAND delivered up extremely steep slopes via human chain, then put into a county shredder.

Once, the jail crew was near my own home and the ringed turtle doves (we have a population here and have for a couple decades) came down and so close they could almost be touched. The inmates were just wild about these birds and asked why they were so friendly (not knowing they weren't endemic birds.

I just told them this was a pretty magical place (which it is, actually) and that we all just get along. It was nice to see these guys enjoy the wild even if what they were seeing wasn't really "wild".

I heard from the county leader of the group that these guys came both for the food and the birds. How cool is that? :)

New Birder January 1, 2013
Life list: 326
Most recent lifersCraveri's MurreletAshy Storm-Petral, Grasshopper Sparrow, Willow Flycatcher, Barn Owl, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Sabine's Gull, Scripp's Murrelet, Rhinoceros Auklet, Black Storm-Petral, MacGillivray's Warbler, Black-chinned Sparrow, Gull-billed Tern, Calliope Hummingbird,  Red Knot, Violet-green Swallow, Short-billed Dowitcher, Mountain Quail, Summer Tanager, Dusky Flycatcher, Baltimore Oriole, Sage Thrasher, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Western Screech Owl, Cassin's Vireo, Northern Waterthrush, Rusty Blackbird, Tricolored Blackbird, Burrowing Owl, Prairie Falcon, White-winged Scoter, Herring Gull, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Hermit Warbler, Lewis's Woodpecker, Plumbeous Vireo

-- DONE! My first goal is met: get 100 birds in the first week of January (and I'm over count and still have two days to go). My approach was not to go after the easy birds, but the harder ones and pick up the easier ones along the way. So meeting this goal without really birding the easy spots is encouraging. I might feel different in August.
--  DONE! My goal for the next week (through the 15th) is to get my count up somewhere around 160. That shouldn't be too hard I don't think as I am missing a number of pretty easy species because I've been concentrating on local rarities. I am, however, taking a trip to the grasslands on Sunday hoping to get a new raptor or two and Mountain Bluebird.
--  DONE! With (yeah!) days to go! My goal for this week (through the 22nd of Jan) is to get my numbers up to around 170. I'd like to hit 175. We'll see. (I was 9 birds over... horray!)
--  1/2 DONE This week's goal will be to get my life list to 300 and my seen list up to 195. Did not get my life list to 300. Didn't leave the county this week.
--  Finally completed last week's goal.
--  DONE! This weeks goal (to Feb 14) is to get to 206 seen birds, including at least one owl (heard or seen for owl), and add at least one life bird.

This year's goal: Get life list to 400, see 365 different birds this year, and travel to at least three other states. The last part is the hardest for me.

Seen/heard: 293 (one is under discussion)
To go: 72

My new Blog: http://thisskysings.wordpress.com/

#6 Bird Brain

Bird Brain

Bird Brain

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,069 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:54 PM

Great story, cany! Nice to hear that they enjoyed the birds and looked forward to seeing them. I'm sure they didn't have much, if anything, else to look forward to on a day-to-day basis.

#7 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,395 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal. Foothills, Cleveland Ntl. Forest

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:09 AM

Great story, cany! Nice to hear that they enjoyed the birds and looked forward to seeing them. I'm sure they didn't have much, if anything, else to look forward to on a day-to-day basis.

No kidding. Most of them were probably "in" for drug infractions. We weren't really supposed to talk to them (I didn't know that at first).

New Birder January 1, 2013
Life list: 326
Most recent lifersCraveri's MurreletAshy Storm-Petral, Grasshopper Sparrow, Willow Flycatcher, Barn Owl, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Sabine's Gull, Scripp's Murrelet, Rhinoceros Auklet, Black Storm-Petral, MacGillivray's Warbler, Black-chinned Sparrow, Gull-billed Tern, Calliope Hummingbird,  Red Knot, Violet-green Swallow, Short-billed Dowitcher, Mountain Quail, Summer Tanager, Dusky Flycatcher, Baltimore Oriole, Sage Thrasher, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Western Screech Owl, Cassin's Vireo, Northern Waterthrush, Rusty Blackbird, Tricolored Blackbird, Burrowing Owl, Prairie Falcon, White-winged Scoter, Herring Gull, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Hermit Warbler, Lewis's Woodpecker, Plumbeous Vireo

-- DONE! My first goal is met: get 100 birds in the first week of January (and I'm over count and still have two days to go). My approach was not to go after the easy birds, but the harder ones and pick up the easier ones along the way. So meeting this goal without really birding the easy spots is encouraging. I might feel different in August.
--  DONE! My goal for the next week (through the 15th) is to get my count up somewhere around 160. That shouldn't be too hard I don't think as I am missing a number of pretty easy species because I've been concentrating on local rarities. I am, however, taking a trip to the grasslands on Sunday hoping to get a new raptor or two and Mountain Bluebird.
--  DONE! With (yeah!) days to go! My goal for this week (through the 22nd of Jan) is to get my numbers up to around 170. I'd like to hit 175. We'll see. (I was 9 birds over... horray!)
--  1/2 DONE This week's goal will be to get my life list to 300 and my seen list up to 195. Did not get my life list to 300. Didn't leave the county this week.
--  Finally completed last week's goal.
--  DONE! This weeks goal (to Feb 14) is to get to 206 seen birds, including at least one owl (heard or seen for owl), and add at least one life bird.

This year's goal: Get life list to 400, see 365 different birds this year, and travel to at least three other states. The last part is the hardest for me.

Seen/heard: 293 (one is under discussion)
To go: 72

My new Blog: http://thisskysings.wordpress.com/

#8 Pat B.

Pat B.

Young at heart birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:54 AM

I've had one of these, or at least a hybridxEUCD the last couple of years. My photos never seem to capture the contrast between its nearly-white color and that of the EUCDs it hangs out with, though. From the breeding season "activity" I've observed, it's definitely a female, and so will be producing some other hybrids. From what I've read, the Ringed Turtle Doves are generally wedding escapees.

~ Pat ~ I eBird. Do you?

Life list 281. Latest: Little Blue Heron, Bobolink, Brown Creeper, Mute Swan, Surf Scoter, Sabine's Gull, Solitary Sandpiper, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Black Tern, Ruddy Turnstone

#9 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,818 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

Before the Eurasian Collared Dove explosion here, I used to see (and even caught two) of these Ringed Turtle Doves. They are (or were) commonly kept in aviaries here. All the ones I've seen have been quite tame.
Creationist Birder

#10 Guest_Birdluvr_*

Guest_Birdluvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

my brother in law used to have one as a pet. they called it "bird". it used to walk around the floor, come up to people and start cooing that their feet.lol he was a great bird.lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users