cany

Simple Confirmations, please

11 posts in this topic

I have had two hours today in horrible light to get used to my new SX50 (temp) camera, but these won't give you a headache. Promise. The pine siskins (just a very few of them) arrived two days ago and are eating up a storm.

These are being shot through a 60yo single-pained glass window... so not the best clarity even were I not brand new to this.

Confirmations for lifer list:

1a-1d: Pine siskin (top), Female lesser goldfinch (btm),:

8537799098_69a545a3a8.jpg

T: Pine siskin, B: Lesser goldfinch by canyon53ss, on Flickr

8537799168_e571d824b3.jpg

8537799192_a70dc2557f.jpg

8536695681_001dfaeefa.jpg

IMGT: Pine siskin, B: Lesser goldfinch_0236 by canyon53ss, on Flickr

2. Juvenile white-crowned sparrow

8537799068_61741c4970.jpg

IMG_02Juvenile white-crowned sparrow by canyon53ss, on Flickr

3. L-R: California towhee, M house finch

8536703419_f85f9cf694.jpg

L: California towhee, R: Male house finch by canyon53ss, on Flickr

Thanks so much! (have one more post to follow)

Agree on the Pine Siskin, California Towhee and House Finch. The goldfinch is worn, but I would still expect to see white at the base of the primaries and a dark gray bill. I think this is a female American.

I agree with Lesser Goldfinch on the female goldfinch. Normally, Americans have a yellow-ish head, and a gray-ish body with not too much green.

Ooops -- forgot the White-crowned Sparrow. Confirmed.

1 person likes this

Glad you're having fun with the camera, cany! Those are fine shots, considering. My biggest problem with shooting through the windows, which I frequently do, is never getting around to cleaning them... <_<

Glad you're having fun with the camera, cany! Those are fine shots, considering. My biggest problem with shooting through the windows, which I frequently do, is never getting around to cleaning them... <_<

Because I do dog/cat rescue, I have to constantly wash windows, these included. You cannot possibly imagine what nine dogs and a dozen to twnety cats can do to glass in just one day (not to mention walls). It's a labor of love:)

1 person likes this

You cannot possibly imagine what nine dogs and a dozen to twnety cats can do to glass in just one day (not to mention walls). It's a labor of love:)

I can imagine. I only have two, granted they drool a lot more than most, but I have to wipe my slider down daily!

1 person likes this

Because I do dog/cat rescue, I have to constantly wash windows, these included. You cannot possibly imagine what nine dogs and a dozen to twnety cats can do to glass in just one day (not to mention walls). It's a labor of love:)

Yikes! I actually do have a layer of doggy noseprints up to a certain height on the bay window and slider; normally I'm shooting above it, but it's a real PITA when I need to shoot lower. (Where's that maid when you need her?)

i originally thought these were lesser but i looked again, the undertail converts are white making it an american goldfinch.

i originally thought these were lesser but i looked again, the undertail converts are white making it an american goldfinch.

Sibley notes that they are "usually yellowish" which I took to mean... but they don't have to be and aren't always and yellowish is subjective.

I think if that bird were with the others, in the same light, one couldn't pick it out. I couldn't in 300+ pics.

But you win:) American it is.

I say its a Lesser based on this: I've had about 30 Lessers at my feeder all winter and had two that looked very similar to your photo. (when I've seen them it's...hey what is that) I just started seeing Americans that were not here so that's my basis.