#1 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,257 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:01 AM

Someone submitted this to the eBird Rarity group on flickr, calling it a Glaucous Gull. The beak seems awfully thin for a Glaucous. Looks more like an Iceland to me. Thoughts?

Link: http://www.flickr.co...ool-437129@N20/

ABA list: 425 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow, Mountain Quail
Yearlist: 326 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow
Yard List- 100!! latest: Olive-sided Flycatcher
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#2 Joejr14

Joejr14

Joejr14

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts
  • LocationVernon, CT

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:02 AM

You could just ask Justin....he posts on here ya know. :)

#3 GreatHorn

GreatHorn

Owl Enthusiast

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,153 posts
  • LocationHolland, Michigan

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:09 AM

*Would bumpylemon please report to the identify forum... bumpylemon to the identify forum*

I'm trying to make use of Whatbird's PA system.

Chace
Michigan List: 297

#4 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,257 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:29 AM

You could just ask Justin....he posts on here ya know. :)

I thought the named looked familiar! :rolleyes: I'd still like to see what psweet says.

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#5 darknight

darknight

Wandering Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:43 AM

Looks good to me for Glaucous. I think it's the angle that's making the bill look smaller. The pale eyes mean it's a 2nd winter bird, and I'd expect Iceland to show some darker markings in the primaries (at least kumlien's would)

There are 976 species on the ABA list. Looks like I've got a lot of birding to do....

Life List (World): 928 species
ABA area: 621
Latest birds: Rosy-faced Lovebird, Sinaloa Wren, Rufous-capped Warbler, Greater Sage-Grouse, Harris Sparrow, Tufted Duck, Red-throated Pipit, Blue-footed Booby, Black Swift, Scripp's Murrulet, Cassin's Auklet, Pink-footed Shearwater, Island Scrub-Jay, Leach's Storm Petrel, South Polar Skua, Arctic Loon, Saltmarsh Sparrow
California: 323
Riverside County, CA: 246
2014: 364

#6 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,160 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

I'm actually thinking Iceland, for two very subtle reasons -- first, if you check the tips of the outer three primaries, it looks like there's some contrast there, it almost looks like three mirrors. You can also see on both outer primaries that the outer web's a bit darker than the inner web. Second, the bill. On Glaucous, the black mark should be cut straight across. On this guy, you can see that there's considerably more black on the lower mandible. On Glaucous, a second year bird should have a distinct, narrow pale tip to the bill, and the last bit of black will be near the base of the original black tip.

Having said all that, this is a tough bird, and I wouldn't be surprised to see another photo proving that I'm wrong.

#7 IvoryBillHope

IvoryBillHope

North Carolina Teen Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,196 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:27 PM

Iceland was my first thought as well, but I'm no expert.

Life List- 219
2014- 137

Recent lifers- Sandwich Tern, Black Skimmer, Whimbrel, Wilson's Plover!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yard List- 73

#8 darknight

darknight

Wandering Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

Aren't the appearance of contrast at the end of the flight feathers just caused by the overlap of the two feathers?

There are 976 species on the ABA list. Looks like I've got a lot of birding to do....

Latest birds: Rosy-faced Lovebird, Sinaloa Wren, Rufous-capped Warbler, Greater Sage-Grouse, Harris Sparrow, Tufted Duck, Red-throated Pipit, Blue-footed Booby, Black Swift, Scripp's Murrulet, Cassin's Auklet, Pink-footed Shearwater, Island Scrub-Jay, Leach's Storm Petrel, South Polar Skua, Arctic Loon, Saltmarsh Sparrow

#9 darknight

darknight

Wandering Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

I see that the picture is now labeled an Iceland Gull... Taking a closer look at the bill, I think it may indeed be better for Glaucous.

#10 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,160 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

Overlapping feathers shouldn't be a problem looking at the outermost one on each wing. Looking closer at the bill I'm less certain, but the eye still seems big and the bill short.

#11 darknight

darknight

Wandering Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

I meant that the faint mirrors looked like they were just a product of the overlapping feathers.

#12 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,257 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

It's probably labeled Iceland because he was contacted by eBird or something. (or saw this thread ;))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users