JimBob

Gull ID (not my picture)

12 posts in this topic

Someone submitted this to the eBird Rarity group on flickr, calling it a Glaucous Gull. The beak seems awfully thin for a Glaucous. Looks more like an Iceland to me. Thoughts?

Link: Iceland Gull

*Would bumpylemon please report to the identify forum... bumpylemon to the identify forum*

I'm trying to make use of Whatbird's PA system.

You could just ask Justin....he posts on here ya know. :)

I thought the named looked familiar! :rolleyes: I'd still like to see what psweet says.

Looks good to me for Glaucous. I think it's the angle that's making the bill look smaller. The pale eyes mean it's a 2nd winter bird, and I'd expect Iceland to show some darker markings in the primaries (at least kumlien's would)

I'm actually thinking Iceland, for two very subtle reasons -- first, if you check the tips of the outer three primaries, it looks like there's some contrast there, it almost looks like three mirrors. You can also see on both outer primaries that the outer web's a bit darker than the inner web. Second, the bill. On Glaucous, the black mark should be cut straight across. On this guy, you can see that there's considerably more black on the lower mandible. On Glaucous, a second year bird should have a distinct, narrow pale tip to the bill, and the last bit of black will be near the base of the original black tip.

Having said all that, this is a tough bird, and I wouldn't be surprised to see another photo proving that I'm wrong.

1 person likes this

Aren't the appearance of contrast at the end of the flight feathers just caused by the overlap of the two feathers?

I see that the picture is now labeled an Iceland Gull... Taking a closer look at the bill, I think it may indeed be better for Glaucous.

Overlapping feathers shouldn't be a problem looking at the outermost one on each wing. Looking closer at the bill I'm less certain, but the eye still seems big and the bill short.

I meant that the faint mirrors looked like they were just a product of the overlapping feathers.

It's probably labeled Iceland because he was contacted by eBird or something. (or saw this thread ;))