#1 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,431 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal. Foothills, Cleveland Ntl. Forest

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:43 AM

Today when posting a pine siskin and F lesser goldfinch (here, first four pics: http://www.whatbird....se/#entry419076), there was a question about whether the lesser was really an American.

To try to straighten my own thoughts out, I took about 300 (yes, doh!) pics of what I believe are lesser at my feeder and compared them to Sibley, Stokes, National Geo, Peterson, Kaufman and a couple of local books. I must say, of all of these, Sibley was the most helpful in terms of coloration.

Sibley notes that there are two distinct color varients in males (Western/Texas) and pale/bright adult females. It would appear that all of the females I shot today would qualify as pale. The males (Western; black cap present but no black back) seem obvious.

We have Lawrence, American and Lesser goldfinch here (I have seen males and females Lawrence in another canyon area but never at the feeders, which doesn't mean they aren't here, it just means I have not seen them).

So, I'm going to take female Lawrence out of the mix because the bird in question really doesn't fit the description.

In defense of lesser versus American, Sibley notes males and females have a white mark at the base of the primaries. In the pale female, he artistically renders it much smaller than in the brighter female.

Sibly also notes a difference in pale/bright with olive/green on back, respectively.

Further, Sibley notes that pale/bright females have "usually yellowish" undertail coverts/yellow undertail coverts meaning, I take it, that the pale females do not necessarily have yellowish undertail coverts.

Knowing there are probably subtle individual differences, and that photographs can/do show things that sometimes really aren't there and often not what is there due to lighting/angle, I am hoping for some help by those of you interested.

The lighting today was varied but generally overcast (rained this afternoon) so there isn't a lot of certain kinds of sun reflection in these. I shot 8 photos in rapid sequence and picked the best of many sequences.

Here's the bird in question:

Posted Image
T: Pine siskin, B: Lesser goldfinch by canyon53ss, on Flickr

In defense of this bird being a lesser pale female:
--She does appear to have a weird tick of white below the primaries which is noticeable but not obvious. In American, the wing bars for both adult breeding and non-breeding females should be much more obvious.
--She appears olive, not green backed, to my eye but a caveat here; either I don't see color accurately or my monitor doesn't
which is a bit more obvious in this photo

Posted Image
--I believe I see a hint of yellow in the undertail coverts in this photo, but I could very well be wrong

Posted Image
--She does have a dark v. pinkish bill which eliminates adult female breeding American, but does not eliminate adult female non-breeding American.

Americans are slightly (0.5 inches) larger, which isn't something comparable in the picture with the pine siskin, but is comparable when with other finches. So, I tried to find a pic of this bird in the 300+ photos I took. What I noticed was that some females had a more obvious white tick than others:

Bottom two birds
url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/canyon53ss/8537622263/]Posted Image[/url]
IMG_0379 by canyon53ss, on Flickr
Bottom three birds

Posted Image
???????????? by canyon53ss, on Flickr

I know... a lot of work for one bird, but if I am wrong it means I have a problem accurately IDing this bird, and that's not good.

What do you think, and why?

New Birder January 1, 2013
Life list: 329
Most recent lifers: Northern Parula, Tennessee Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, Vesper Sparrow, Craveri's MurreletAshy Storm-Petral, Grasshopper Sparrow, Willow Flycatcher, Barn Owl, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Sabine's Gull, Scripp's Murrelet, Rhinoceros Auklet, Black Storm-Petral, MacGillivray's Warbler, Black-chinned Sparrow, Gull-billed Tern, Calliope Hummingbird,  Red Knot, Violet-green Swallow, Short-billed Dowitcher, Mountain Quail, Summer Tanager, Dusky Flycatcher, Baltimore Oriole, Sage Thrasher, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Western Screech Owl, Cassin's Vireo, Northern Waterthrush, Rusty Blackbird, Tricolored Blackbird, Burrowing Owl, Prairie Falcon, White-winged Scoter, Herring Gull, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Hermit Warbler, Lewis's Woodpecker, Plumbeous Vireo

-- DONE! My first goal is met: get 100 birds in the first week of January (and I'm over count and still have two days to go). My approach was not to go after the easy birds, but the harder ones and pick up the easier ones along the way. So meeting this goal without really birding the easy spots is encouraging. I might feel different in August.
--  DONE! My goal for the next week (through the 15th) is to get my count up somewhere around 160. That shouldn't be too hard I don't think as I am missing a number of pretty easy species because I've been concentrating on local rarities. I am, however, taking a trip to the grasslands on Sunday hoping to get a new raptor or two and Mountain Bluebird.
--  DONE! With (yeah!) days to go! My goal for this week (through the 22nd of Jan) is to get my numbers up to around 170. I'd like to hit 175. We'll see. (I was 9 birds over... horray!)
--  1/2 DONE This week's goal will be to get my life list to 300 and my seen list up to 195. Did not get my life list to 300. Didn't leave the county this week.
--  Finally completed last week's goal.
--  DONE! This weeks goal (to Feb 14) is to get to 206 seen birds, including at least one owl (heard or seen for owl), and add at least one life bird.

This year's goal: Get life list to 400, see 365 different birds this year, and travel to at least three other states. The last part is the hardest for me.

Seen/heard: 301 (one is under discussion)
To go: 64

My new Blog: http://thisskysings.wordpress.com/

#2 Bird Brain

Bird Brain

Bird Brain

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:18 AM

I get the "feel" of American Goldfinch for the bird in question (top 3 photos). Lack of color due to lighting conditions make it more difficult, but the proportions look more like Am.Goldfinch.
I have dozens of AG at my feeders...been eating me out of house and home for the past 2-3 months!! I also have at least 1 dozen LG which are year-round residents, so I see both species
side by side every day. AG seem "slimmer" in proportion to their length, and have a longer and larger bill in proportion also ..... LG seem more compact with a shorter bill length.
Nothing scientific about my evaluation, it's just that I see so many on a daily basis that even without color I can tell them apart.
The ones in the 2 bottom photos are definitely LG. I see the bird in question as an AG.

We did not inherit Mother Earth from our Ancestors.....

We have borrowed Her from our Descendants.

Chief Seattle of the Suquamish Tribe (paraphrased)

Man belongs to the Earth...Earth does not belong to Man.

Black Elk of the Lakota Tribe

#3 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,431 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:23 AM

Slimmer in proportion to their length? Oh dear. I just looked in Sibley and Peterson again and it looks the opposite to me. I am so confuzzled:)

Most recent lifers: Northern Parula, Tennessee Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, Vesper Sparrow, Craveri's MurreletAshy Storm-Petral, Grasshopper Sparrow, Willow Flycatcher, Barn Owl, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Sabine's Gull, Scripp's Murrelet, Rhinoceros Auklet, Black Storm-Petral, MacGillivray's Warbler, Black-chinned Sparrow, Gull-billed Tern, Calliope Hummingbird,  Red Knot, Violet-green Swallow, Short-billed Dowitcher, Mountain Quail, Summer Tanager, Dusky Flycatcher, Baltimore Oriole, Sage Thrasher, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Western Screech Owl, Cassin's Vireo, Northern Waterthrush, Rusty Blackbird, Tricolored Blackbird, Burrowing Owl, Prairie Falcon, White-winged Scoter, Herring Gull, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Hermit Warbler, Lewis's Woodpecker, Plumbeous Vireo

-- DONE! My first goal is met: get 100 birds in the first week of January (and I'm over count and still have two days to go). My approach was not to go after the easy birds, but the harder ones and pick up the easier ones along the way. So meeting this goal without really birding the easy spots is encouraging. I might feel different in August.
--  DONE! My goal for the next week (through the 15th) is to get my count up somewhere around 160. That shouldn't be too hard I don't think as I am missing a number of pretty easy species because I've been concentrating on local rarities. I am, however, taking a trip to the grasslands on Sunday hoping to get a new raptor or two and Mountain Bluebird.
--  DONE! With (yeah!) days to go! My goal for this week (through the 22nd of Jan) is to get my numbers up to around 170. I'd like to hit 175. We'll see. (I was 9 birds over... horray!)
--  1/2 DONE This week's goal will be to get my life list to 300 and my seen list up to 195. Did not get my life list to 300. Didn't leave the county this week.
--  DONE! This weeks goal (to Feb 14) is to get to 206 seen birds, including at least one owl (heard or seen for owl), and add at least one life bird.

This year's goal: Get life list to 400, see 365 different birds this year, and travel to at least three other states. The last part is the hardest for me.

#4 Bird Brain

Bird Brain

Bird Brain

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:38 AM

Slimmer in proportion to their length? Oh dear. I just looked in Sibley and Peterson again and it looks the opposite to me. I am so confuzzled:)

OK, I said there was nothing scientific about my assessment. ^_^ Maybe not slimmer slimmer, but less compact. Hard to explain....you'd 'a just have to have been there!!
Hope I don't have you too terribly bumfused!! :)

We did not inherit Mother Earth from our Ancestors.....

We have borrowed Her from our Descendants.

Chief Seattle of the Suquamish Tribe (paraphrased)

Man belongs to the Earth...Earth does not belong to Man.

Black Elk of the Lakota Tribe

#5 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,431 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:39 AM

OK, I said there was nothing scientific about my assessment. ^_^ Maybe not slimmer slimmer, but less compact. Hard to explain....you'd 'a just have to have been there!!

I was already bumfused:) I'm trying to de-bumfuse myself. :P

#6 darknight

darknight

Wandering Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,402 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:57 AM

I'm with psweet on this one, looks good for American Goldfinch. The brown (vs olive in Lesser) back color, the slightly larger, paler and straighter bill (vs smaller, darker, stubbier bill in Lesser) and broad whitish wingbar on the greater coverts (vs narrower, wingbars on Lesser) all point towards American. I think it's the bill shape that convinces me the most (hard as it is to see in these pics).

There are 976 species on the ABA list. Looks like I've got a lot of birding to do....

Life List (World): 1094 species
ABA area: 634
Latest ABA lifers: Least Storm-Petrel, Ashy Storm-Petrel, Black Storm-Petrel, Craveri's Murrelet, White-eared Hummingbird, Ruff, Black-vented Shearwater, Rosy-faced Lovebird, Sinaloa Wren, Rufous-capped Warbler, Greater Sage-Grouse, Harris Sparrow, Tufted Duck, Red-throated Pipit, 
California: 348
Riverside County, CA: 256
2014 ABA: 409

2014 World: 669

#7 cestma

cestma

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,773 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:00 AM

FWIW, my "feeling" agrees with Bird Brain; and I see only American Goldfinches regularly. The original bird in question looks American to me. The ones in the bottom 2 photos look different--olive mantle with more of a subtle pattern showing; yellow beneath...
Trip report: Oregon Jaunt II http://www.whatbird....ii/#entry551308
Trip report: Oregon Jaunt http://www.whatbird....4-oregon-jaunt/
Trip report: Birding in Michigan's Upper Peninsula http://www.whatbird....pper-peninsula/

#8 Guest_Birdluvr_*

Guest_Birdluvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:36 AM

the 2 bottom photos are all lesser goldfinch. american goldfinch are noticably larger and the plumage is noticably different too and you will know when you see one at your feeder with the lessers. they stand out like a sore thumb. our american goldfinch here in cali are browner than lessers and 1/2 inch bigger which is quite a difference. theres no mistaking them and im referring to the females and non breeding males. i also compared the 2 top photos to my lesser goldfinch pictures. for some reason, when i see either species, i can always tell the difference but this photo was a bit tricker. i always forget about the undertail converts. lol i agree with jimbob and psweet that they are female american goldfinch due to the white undertail converts. most female lesser have yellow under the tail as do mine in my pictures.

#9 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,340 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

Excellent work on this, cany. I have to say that I'm less sure of my ID than I was before. One problem is that the bird is clearly worn -- if she hasn't started molting, she will very soon. Besides dulling any colors, that tends to make wing-bars look narrower than they should, since the feathers wear from the tip. The molt timing in these two species is different, but I think we'd need a shot of the spread wing to work with that. There are also differences in the tail feathers -- did you get any shots that would work there?

#10 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

i agree with jimbob and psweet that they are female american goldfinch due to the white undertail converts.

I think it's a Lesser. ;)

It seems smaller then the Pine Siskin to me, and it over all looks nothing like the American Goldfinches I've seen. And also, I don't see the actual undertail coverts. Anyway, I guess I'm not really saying why I think it's a Lesser. I'm not really good at that.

ABA list: 450 Latest- Hammond's Flycatcher
Yearlist: 398 Latest- Hammond's Flycatcher, Reddish Egret, Pin-tailed Whydah
Yard List- 100!! latest: Olive-sided Flycatcher
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#11 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,763 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

I went ahead, and posted links to pictures on cany's photostream on birdforum.net. So far, one person says Lesser. http://www.birdforum...ad.php?t=252243

ABA list: 450 Latest- Hammond's Flycatcher
Yearlist: 398 Latest- Hammond's Flycatcher, Reddish Egret, Pin-tailed Whydah
Yard List- 100!! latest: Olive-sided Flycatcher
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#12 Desertthorn

Desertthorn

Desertthorn

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

Thank you guys for this conversation, It is helping me learn so much. My first impression was American but now I'm equally bumfused. I always thought that the lesser had a darker bill than the American.but obviously I'm relying on only one field mark which I'm learning is stupid.

#13 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,431 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

Excellent work on this, cany. I have to say that I'm less sure of my ID than I was before. One problem is that the bird is clearly worn -- if she hasn't started molting, she will very soon. Besides dulling any colors, that tends to make wing-bars look narrower than they should, since the feathers wear from the tip. The molt timing in these two species is different, but I think we'd need a shot of the spread wing to work with that. There are also differences in the tail feathers -- did you get any shots that would work there?

No, I'm afraid not. My assumption was that the bird was lesser (and not in dispute), so it didn't occur to me. :(

#14 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,431 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

I went ahead, and posted links to pictures on cany's photostream on birdforum.net. So far, one person says Lesser. http://www.birdforum...ad.php?t=252243

Thanks, JimBob. The more eyes, the better.

#15 Guest_Birdluvr_*

Guest_Birdluvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:05 PM

I think it's a Lesser. ;)

It seems smaller then the Pine Siskin to me, and it over all looks nothing like the American Goldfinches I've seen. And also, I don't see the actual undertail coverts. Anyway, I guess I'm not really saying why I think it's a Lesser. I'm not really good at that.

ugh! that was my first impression in the first place... lol then i read you and psweets comments about it being an american, i started looking more closly.lol.. now im back to lesser.. i was right in the first place. its a lesser goldfinch.. :P :P :P

#16 Guest_Birdluvr_*

Guest_Birdluvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

i had both lesser and american at my feeder yesterday, no mistaking either species, LOL. also, as stated, american have white under the tail but some lesser do also, although rare, it does happen

#17 TheBillyPilgrim

TheBillyPilgrim

Frank

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,867 posts
  • LocationHampton, VA

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

i had both lesser and american at my feeder yesterday, no mistaking either species, LOL

I wouldn't say there is no mistaking either species, especially given the very confusing bird above. I don't have much experience with Lessers, so I'm not comfortable speculating here, but there don't seem to be any clear, diagnostic marks that definitively eliminate either species.

EDIT: Great post, Cany. One of those that really makes you dig down and examine subtle marks.

Life List: 700

Latest birds:  Rock Ptarmigan, Northern Hawk Owl, Vaux's Swift

ABA 2014: 339 species
Virginia 2014: 237
Isle of Wight County 2014: 182 species

My Flickr
eBird

Nevada Field Season Report: http://www.whatbird....-season-report/

Costa Rica Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....rt/#entry396425

#18 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,431 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

I wouldn't say there is no mistaking either species, especially given the very confusing bird above. I don't have much experience with Lessers, so I'm not comfortable speculating here, but there don't seem to be any clear, diagnostic marks that definitively eliminate either species.

EDIT: Great post, Cany. One of those that really makes you dig down and examine subtle marks.

I think, regarding clear, diagnostic marks you are probably right. It's easier (maybe like sparrows) to eliminate possibilities, but that still leaves the question of pale female v. American. I've ONLY seen pale here, not the brighter variety.

And there is also the "you had to be there" part where size makes a difference and may be noticeable, but even then, individual variation and all that.

I saw a pair of red-tails the other day in flight (courtship) where the size difference was quite apparent, and had they not been in courtship mode, I could still have likely (as adult birds) concluded it was a M/F. The female was easily 30% bigger which was so very obvious when they flew over me.

#19 Guest_Birdluvr_*

Guest_Birdluvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:28 PM

actually, it wasnt confusing to me at all, i knew right away it was a lesser but when psweet and jimbob mentioned american, i felt they were more experienced and started doubting myself which i wont do again if im sure of the species, also, i didnt want to argue..lol like a said before, i have pictures on facebook of both species on my feeders and theres clearly a difference between the 2. no mistaking. meaning females, the only pictures i have of the males are in breeding plumage

#20 TheBillyPilgrim

TheBillyPilgrim

Frank

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,867 posts
  • LocationHampton, VA

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

actually, it wasnt confusing to me at all, i knew right away it was a lesser but when psweet and jimbob mentioned american, i felt they were more experienced and started doubting myself which i wont do again if im sure of the species, also, i didnt want to argue..lol like a said before, i have pictures on facebook of both species on my feeders and theres clearly a difference between the 2. no mistaking. meaning females, the only pictures i have of the males are in breeding plumage

I understand that you feel sure about this bird, but I don't think the ID of this bird is settled. Several of our very experienced and competent birders on here have expressed their uncertainty on the ID.

Life List: 700

Latest birds:  Rock Ptarmigan, Northern Hawk Owl, Vaux's Swift

ABA 2014: 339 species
Virginia 2014: 237
Isle of Wight County 2014: 182 species

My Flickr
eBird

Nevada Field Season Report: http://www.whatbird....-season-report/

Costa Rica Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....rt/#entry396425

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users