• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cjob50

Cjob50

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:07 AM

Can someone please help us identify this bird? He screams all night long, and we don't know why or how to get rid of it. I appreciate any help on this. Thanks!

Attached Files

#2 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,006 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:37 AM

Where are you located?

#3 Cavan Wood

Cavan Wood

Cavan Wood

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,276 posts
  • LocationCavan, Ontario (near Peterborough)

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:39 AM

Can someone please help us identify this bird? He screams all night long, and we don't know why or how to get rid of it. I appreciate any help on this. Thanks!

Are you from the south? Like Florida? It sort of looks (and sounds) like Limpkin. The best way to get rid of it is sleep with ear plugs, and to embrace it the rest of the time.
Scott

#4 notactuallytom

notactuallytom

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:42 AM

I'd agree with limpkin.

Blog: http://intrepidbirder.com/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/The_Daily_Bird

Most recent Lifers: Lewis' Woodpecker, Tundra Swan, Bald Eagle,
Life List: 592

#5 Cjob50

Cjob50

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:43 AM

Yes, I am sorry. I am on the Gulf coast of Florida. I have lived here since 2007, and I have never had this problem. I have a video, but it is too big to upload

#6 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,006 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:12 AM

I thought that looked like a limpkin, but I thought they were more secretive than that!!!

#7 Cjob50

Cjob50

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:37 AM

Thank you very much! You are correct! They are Limpkins! Apparently, there are many people in the past that have had the same problem with these birds migrating to their area and keeping everyone up all night with their screaming.

http://sicluceatlux....2008/03/12/118/

I read many comments after the article. We love the different birds here, and most stay quiet during the night. But not these! Ear plugs don't work :(. I'm hoping we can have Wildlife relocate them to an area where there is more food as their type of food is not abundant here

#8 BirdVoice

BirdVoice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

I'm having the same issue with this bird type in my North West Tampa neighborhood. My husband and I haven't had an undisturbed nights sleep in 3 weeks. I called Florida Game and Wildlife today, who told me they do not, and can not remove or relocate the bird. Furthermore, they echoed the same as other responders to this post by saying that we could try ear plugs. They added that we "are" allowed to "harass" the bird inasmuch as to use a blow horn or garden hose to make it go away, but they made it very clear that this bird is not to be physically harmed. It is against the law to do so. Unfortunately, it is not possible to live with this bird 20 yards away from our home. It is so loud from this distance that it can be heard all throughout our home, in every room... there is no escape. It was not here last year, but is here with a vengeance now. I am putting my hopes in the fact that this is the bird's mating season, and according to FWL it should stop. We may have to move if it doesn't... it's that bad!

Here is a youtube video I found on this bird screaming... wait till 0:23 to hear it... this is the exact scream we hear from sun-down to sun-up!

#9 joeyfishing

joeyfishing

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationRichmond Hill, Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

Boy, that would definitely be annoying while trying to sleep!!

#10 sandylee

sandylee

sandylee

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

Bird noises/singing at night is a sleeping pill for me.... We have so much time with the windows closed all winter.... those sounds are musical and like a lullaby.... Even the Loons.... whether they are "hooting" or "screeching" (as they sometimes do) put me at peace.

#11 ceylon

ceylon

ceylon

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationVancouver, British Columbia

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

That's a bit like nails on a blackboard. Sorry, hope they fly away soon. :(
New birds 2014. Western Meadowlark-juvenile, Bullock's Oriole, Black-chinned hummingbird, Red-naped Sapsucker, Semi-palmated Sandpiper, Vesper Sparrow, Horned Lark, Eared Grebe, Wilson's Phalarope, Swainson's Hawk, Burrowing Owl, Bank Swallow, Cliff Swallow,

<p>My "best" lifers; Golden Eagle and Crested Mynah.New birds 2013; Red Flanked Bluetail (Queen's Park, New Westminster Jan 15, 2013), Gyrfalcon (Hastings Park/Viterra building near Second Narrows, Jan 26, 2013), Brambling (Laurel/17th Feb 5th/2013), Red-naped Sapsucker (west side of Fraserview golf course, in lane by 7878 Vivian, Apr 5/2013). Sora (pond at Colony Farm April 8/13). Northern Rough-winged Swallow (Col Farm May 26/13). Lazuli Bunting and WETA May 2013 Col Farm).New birds 2012; Black throated gray warbler, Cassin's vireo, (Hammond's Flycatcher,Chipping Sparrow were id'd at bird banding station), Vaux Swift, Cliff Swallow, Dowitcher, Merlin, Peregrine, Eastern Kingbird, Spotted Sandpiper, YHBB, Caspian Tern, Purple Martin, Warbling Vireo, Western Tanager.

#12 GreatHorn

GreatHorn

Owl Enthusiast

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,199 posts
  • LocationHolland, Michigan

Posted 26 April 2013 - 12:10 AM

I read many comments after the article. We love the different birds here, and most stay quiet during the night. But not these! Ear plugs don't work :(. I'm hoping we can have Wildlife relocate them to an area where there is more food as their type of food is not abundant here

I'm guessing they wouldn't be residing in your neighborhood if they didn't have any food there.

Chace
Michigan List: 301

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users