#1 7birdmadgirl7

7birdmadgirl7

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

So I've heard that lots of people smear peanut butter on trees for the birds. Does this cause a problem with ants? If so, do the birds just eat the ants too? I'm thinking about trying it but I don't know if I want to deal with a sticky mess of ants. Can anybody who has tried this give me some feedback on this technique?

#2 threeofhardts

threeofhardts

threeofhardts

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • LocationWest Michigan

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

I have spread peanut butter on trees and had no issues with ants but I found that the birds weren't too fond of it. (Maybe I get the wrong brand.) I also spread bacon grease on the trees during the winter. All the birds love that and of course, no ants during those cold months anyway.

I'd rather be birding.

#3 7birdmadgirl7

7birdmadgirl7

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

LOL. That's the other thing I'm worried about....if they don't like it and then I just have a messy tree for no reason.

#4 spyonabird

spyonabird

spyonabird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:31 PM

I have done it and the birds love it. I use organic peanut butter. THe only ingredient is peanuts. No presevatives, no sugar no palm oil and no artificial sweeteners. Those darn birds eat better than most humans...
Denise

"There is an eagle in me that wants to soar, and there is a hippopotamus in me that wants to wallow in the mud."
Carl Sandburg

#5 7birdmadgirl7

7birdmadgirl7

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

spyonabird: Mine eat better than most humans too! Only the best for my feathered friends! Do they prefer crunchy or creamy?

#6 spyonabird

spyonabird

spyonabird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

spyonabird: Mine eat better than most humans too! Only the best for my feathered friends!

You should see what I feed my dog. :) . Plus he had more MRI's than most people and has an Ophthalmologist.
Denise

"There is an eagle in me that wants to soar, and there is a hippopotamus in me that wants to wallow in the mud."
Carl Sandburg

#7 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,010 posts
  • Locationdurango colorado

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

one way to do it is cut a piece of limb or branch maybe 3 inches in diameter and a foot or so long. screw a hook eye into one end and drill holes up and down the sides and fill with peanut butter or homemade suet mix hang it on a pole or from a limb. and you can take it down easily and hose it off.

#8 threeofhardts

threeofhardts

threeofhardts

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • LocationWest Michigan

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

The peanut butter I used was chunky Jiff. Choosy mothers choose Jiff. :)

I'd rather be birding.

#9 7birdmadgirl7

7birdmadgirl7

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

The peanut butter I used was chunky Jiff. Choosy mothers choose Jiff. :)

LOL

#10 Liam&Kara

Liam&Kara

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • LocationVictoria, British Columbia

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

id be more worried about attracting bears into my yard. last thing i wanna see at 6 in the morning while im taking the dog out to pee is momma bear and her cubs munching on a tree in front of my house

Victoria BC Canada
Life total 179
2013 total 165
last 5: Ring-necked Pheasant, Western Grebe, Snow Bunting, Tropical Kingbird, Western Meadowlark.

#11 7birdmadgirl7

7birdmadgirl7

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

LMAO. We don't get bears where I live, but yeah that would definitely be scary!

#12 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,776 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

As soon as I saw the title of this thread, I thought not here, it would be ant city!
Creationist Birder

#13 Kerryks

Kerryks

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • LocationHamburg NY

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

id be more worried about attracting bears into my yard. last thing i wanna see at 6 in the morning while im taking the dog out to pee is momma bear and her cubs munching on a tree in front of my house

Nope......I don't think you need to use peanut butter. lol We don't have any that come in our area. So I'm good.

#14 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,395 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal. Foothills, Cleveland Ntl. Forest

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:42 AM

You should see what I feed my dog. :) . Plus he had more MRI's than most people and has an Ophthalmologist.

I'm in rescue and boy, does this sound familiar:) I haven't been to a doctor in ages and need to see the dentist. But the dogs have dentals all the time.

New Birder January 1, 2013
Life list: 326
Most recent lifersCraveri's MurreletAshy Storm-Petral, Grasshopper Sparrow, Willow Flycatcher, Barn Owl, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Sabine's Gull, Scripp's Murrelet, Rhinoceros Auklet, Black Storm-Petral, MacGillivray's Warbler, Black-chinned Sparrow, Gull-billed Tern, Calliope Hummingbird,  Red Knot, Violet-green Swallow, Short-billed Dowitcher, Mountain Quail, Summer Tanager, Dusky Flycatcher, Baltimore Oriole, Sage Thrasher, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Western Screech Owl, Cassin's Vireo, Northern Waterthrush, Rusty Blackbird, Tricolored Blackbird, Burrowing Owl, Prairie Falcon, White-winged Scoter, Herring Gull, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Hermit Warbler, Lewis's Woodpecker, Plumbeous Vireo

-- DONE! My first goal is met: get 100 birds in the first week of January (and I'm over count and still have two days to go). My approach was not to go after the easy birds, but the harder ones and pick up the easier ones along the way. So meeting this goal without really birding the easy spots is encouraging. I might feel different in August.
--  DONE! My goal for the next week (through the 15th) is to get my count up somewhere around 160. That shouldn't be too hard I don't think as I am missing a number of pretty easy species because I've been concentrating on local rarities. I am, however, taking a trip to the grasslands on Sunday hoping to get a new raptor or two and Mountain Bluebird.
--  DONE! With (yeah!) days to go! My goal for this week (through the 22nd of Jan) is to get my numbers up to around 170. I'd like to hit 175. We'll see. (I was 9 birds over... horray!)
--  1/2 DONE This week's goal will be to get my life list to 300 and my seen list up to 195. Did not get my life list to 300. Didn't leave the county this week.
--  Finally completed last week's goal.
--  DONE! This weeks goal (to Feb 14) is to get to 206 seen birds, including at least one owl (heard or seen for owl), and add at least one life bird.

This year's goal: Get life list to 400, see 365 different birds this year, and travel to at least three other states. The last part is the hardest for me.

Seen/heard: 287 (one is under discussion)
To go: 78

My new Blog: http://thisskysings.wordpress.com/

#15 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,395 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal. Foothills, Cleveland Ntl. Forest

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:44 AM

The alternative is to spread it on a board and HANG it on the tree and take it down at night. I DO put peanut butter out.

Another alternative is peanut butter blocks. They work great.

New Birder January 1, 2013
Life list: 326
Most recent lifersCraveri's MurreletAshy Storm-Petral, Grasshopper Sparrow, Willow Flycatcher, Barn Owl, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Sabine's Gull, Scripp's Murrelet, Rhinoceros Auklet, Black Storm-Petral, MacGillivray's Warbler, Black-chinned Sparrow, Gull-billed Tern, Calliope Hummingbird,  Red Knot, Violet-green Swallow, Short-billed Dowitcher, Mountain Quail, Summer Tanager, Dusky Flycatcher, Baltimore Oriole, Sage Thrasher, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Western Screech Owl, Cassin's Vireo, Northern Waterthrush, Rusty Blackbird, Tricolored Blackbird, Burrowing Owl, Prairie Falcon, White-winged Scoter, Herring Gull, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Hermit Warbler, Lewis's Woodpecker, Plumbeous Vireo

-- DONE! My first goal is met: get 100 birds in the first week of January (and I'm over count and still have two days to go). My approach was not to go after the easy birds, but the harder ones and pick up the easier ones along the way. So meeting this goal without really birding the easy spots is encouraging. I might feel different in August.
--  DONE! My goal for the next week (through the 15th) is to get my count up somewhere around 160. That shouldn't be too hard I don't think as I am missing a number of pretty easy species because I've been concentrating on local rarities. I am, however, taking a trip to the grasslands on Sunday hoping to get a new raptor or two and Mountain Bluebird.
--  DONE! With (yeah!) days to go! My goal for this week (through the 22nd of Jan) is to get my numbers up to around 170. I'd like to hit 175. We'll see. (I was 9 birds over... horray!)
--  1/2 DONE This week's goal will be to get my life list to 300 and my seen list up to 195. Did not get my life list to 300. Didn't leave the county this week.
--  Finally completed last week's goal.
--  DONE! This weeks goal (to Feb 14) is to get to 206 seen birds, including at least one owl (heard or seen for owl), and add at least one life bird.

This year's goal: Get life list to 400, see 365 different birds this year, and travel to at least three other states. The last part is the hardest for me.

Seen/heard: 287 (one is under discussion)
To go: 78

My new Blog: http://thisskysings.wordpress.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users