8 replies to this topic

#1 lorielmore

lorielmore

lorielmore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 01:49 PM

Hi hope someone can help me out with this I have looked on several websites and in many books and am unable to identify a bird that visits our pond quite frequently.  We moved in June and since then I have seen a hawk-like bird that has a copper colored chest.  When the sun hits the chest it is almost auburn colored.  The back has black and white both on it.  I have not gotten a good enough look at it to see what the tailfeathers look like.  It seems to like fish and I saw it catch a baby rabbit a couple of days ago and perch in a tree to eat it.  Does anyone have any idea this bird is?

#2 admin

admin

admin

• Administrators
  • 870 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:17 PM

David and Simon will be back tomorrow from a birding trip and I am sure they will be able to answer your post. In the meantime I tried to narrow it down in the search engine using the following attributes and values:

Shape  [Edit] [Remove]
Hawk-like
Underparts  [Edit] [Remove]
Brownish Red OR Rusty OR Rusty Red
I came up with these four birds.

I wonder if its the Sharp-shinned Hawk?

Mitch

#3 David Lukas

David Lukas

David Lukas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 01:27 PM

Assuming that your bird is a hawk, I think it could be a Red-shouldered Hawk. You didn't say anything about where you live or the kinds of habitat around your house, but this species is fairly widespread and it likes to live around ponds and streams so it is likely to be in your area.

The Red-shouldered Hawk is the only hawk that has reddish underparts and a black and white back. It has the same general shape as a Red-tailed Hawk but is much smaller and is usually extremely vocal.

Other hawks with reddish underparts are Cooper's and Sharp-shinned Hawks, but they both have uniformly blue-gray upperparts and relatively long tails. You can look for these features on your bird.

Best of luck and forward some pictures if you get a chance!

David Lukas and Simone Whitecloud

#4 lorielmore

lorielmore

lorielmore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:05 PM

I thought that might be a possibility but the bird is actually fairly large in size.  I don't have any pictures yet he keeps moving before I get a good shot but when I do I will let you know. Thanks for the help!

#5 David Lukas

David Lukas

David Lukas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:16 PM

How large is fairly large? You mention that it's a hawk-like bird, so this implies that it's a good-sized bird. A Red-shouldered Hawk is a decently large bird, one I saw yesterday was noticeably larger than the crows that were chasing it.

David and Simone

#6 lorielmore

lorielmore

lorielmore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 August 2005 - 08:39 AM

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Computer problems.  Yesterday he was really cooperative and sat still long enough and close enough for me to see that he is definitely a red shouldered hawk.  He has all the correct markings as for size he is probably 2 to 2 1/2 feet tall.

#7 Julie H

Julie H

Julie H

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • LocationSanta Cruz Mountains, CA

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:27 AM

This is like reading a mystery novel. I am looking forward to a definitive identification. I also have Red-Shouldereds in my area and they are rather large and bulky, and vocal! Bulkier than the Coopers and Sharpies.

Julie H

#8 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,339 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:37 AM

Julie, the OP said in the most recent post that it was a RSH. Otherwise you would probably have to wait for quite some time, this thread is from 2005.

The sludge caught in the mind's filter, the stuff that refuses to go through, frequently becomes each person's private obsession. In civilized society we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions "hobbies". - Stephen King

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers. - Me

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Swamp Sparrow: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 3/11/14

Little Gull: Modseto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 2/9/14

Ruff; Ceres Sewage Ponds, Ceres, CA, 1/28/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Western Screech-Owl: Enslen Park, Modesto, CA, 4/16/14, 7/2/14, 7/6/14

Bald Eagle, Costa's Hummingbird, Willow Flycatcher: Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 5/24/14

Gray Flycatcher: McHenry Recreation Area, Escalon, CA, 5/13/14

Black Tern: Modesto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 5/11/14

#9 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,613 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:47 AM

Yeah, I'm guessing the op is long gone, considering those were the only three posts she made in 2005!
Creationist Birder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users