#1 dracula13

dracula13

13 Year-old Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts
  • LocationSunrise, Florida

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

I live in South Florida and always get the same birds (Painted Bunting, Blue Jay, White-Winged Dove, Northern Cardinal, and... That's it). I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas to attract different birds, I already have a bird bath, a mixed seed feeder, a mealworm feeder and a hummingbird feeder. I'm trying to attract warblers and finches but I just can't get them to my suburban backyard, any ideas??

Life List: 142

Latest Lifers: Chimney Swift, Barn Swallow, Red-Eyed Vireo, Eastern Pheobe, Orange-crowned Warbler, American White Pelican, Snail KIte, Purple Swamphen, Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal

Yard List: Blue Jay, Mourning Dove, White-Winged Dove, Eurasian Collared-Dove, Northern Cardinal, Common Grackle, Painted Bunting, Downy Woodpecker, Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher, Palm Warbler, Pine Warbler, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, European Starling, Red-bellied Woodpecker.

House flyovers:

Turkey Vulture, Black Vulture, Short-tailed Hawk, Tree Swallow, Wood Stork, 

#2 Chaseman

Chaseman

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

If your mixed seed feeder is a tube feeder, you may want to add either a platform or a hopper feeder. Some birds like a bigger area to sit and eat from. If you want finches, I would also suggest you try feeding some brown safflower (Nutrasaff) as they love it.

#3 dracula13

dracula13

13 Year-old Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

My mixed seed feeder is a hopper feeder, and are there any colors or objects that warblers like??

Latest Lifers: Chimney Swift, Barn Swallow, Red-Eyed Vireo, Eastern Pheobe, Orange-crowned Warbler, American White Pelican, Snail KIte, Purple Swamphen, Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal

Yard List: Blue Jay, Mourning Dove, White-Winged Dove, Eurasian Collared-Dove, Northern Cardinal, Common Grackle, Painted Bunting, Downy Woodpecker, Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher, Palm Warbler, Pine Warbler, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, European Starling, Red-bellied Woodpecker.

House flyovers:

#4 Chaseman

Chaseman

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

I only have two warblers that visit my feeders, Pine and Yellow-rumped. They both eat mealworms, but absolutely love my homemade suet. I even had to come up with another (creative) way to feed the suet as you can see. All of the woodpeckers love this too.

Posted Image

#5 dracula13

dracula13

13 Year-old Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:45 AM

That's a cool feeder, I should try it!!

House flyovers:

#6 meghann

meghann

suprm2001

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • LocationCSRA, Georgia

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:08 AM

I would definitely add suet; I've been surprised at how many different birds like it. Off the top of my head, I know I've seen pine warbler, carolina wren, titmouse, chickadee, downy woodpecker, red-bellied woodpecker, yellow-rumped warbler, mockingbird, and catbird all eating my suet at different times.

You might also consider a platform feeder (with a different mix than your hopper) and a thistle sock.

-Army wife, homeschooling mom to 4, photographer, insomniac ninja

Life list: 180

Yard list (old house): 73
Yard list (new house): 76
2014 so far: 147

#7 dracula13

dracula13

13 Year-old Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:39 PM

I do have a couple of suet cakes in the hopper feeder, but yet same birds. what kinds of mix should i put in a platform feeder? and What is a thistle sock?

House flyovers:

#8 meghann

meghann

suprm2001

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,345 posts
  • LocationCSRA, Georgia

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

I have three different seed mixes around my yard. One is a mix that is mainly millet. I have some of that in a tube feeder, and some in a different kind of hanging feeder. I keep a mix that has a lot of sunflower and safflower in it in my hopper. (The cardinals LOVE it.) My last mix has a little of everything, but also a lot of nuts and dried berries in it. I have to fight the squirrels, but that's what I keep in my platform feeders.

A thistle sock is just like it sounds. A sock type thing full of thistle seed. You can find them at any birding stores, or even at Walmart. That's the feeder I had hanging forever and thought birds would never feed off of it, but once they found it, they were always on it. Over the winter it was especially popular with the pine siskins and goldfinches.

-Army wife, homeschooling mom to 4, photographer, insomniac ninja

Life list: 180

Yard list (old house): 73
Yard list (new house): 76
2014 so far: 147

#9 Cra-ZforWarblers

Cra-ZforWarblers

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

Baseman would you mind telling me your suet recipe? Thanks

#10 Easton2000

Easton2000

Ivory Billed Woodpecker and Bachman's Warbler Believer

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts
  • LocationN.GA

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

I only have two warblers that visit my feeders, Pine and Yellow-rumped. They both eat mealworms, but absolutely love my homemade suet. I even had to come up with another (creative) way to feed the suet as you can see. All of the woodpeckers love this too.

Posted Image

what is your suet recipe

rock.gifrock.gif rock.gifrock.gif rock.gif rock.gif

14 yr old birder.

Started Birding on April 26, 2013.

Lifelist 197.

Yearlist 191.

Hope to have 200 on lifelist and COMPLETE 150 on year by the end of year.

Butterfly lifelist

Spoiler

Moth Lifelist

Spoiler

MY FAVORITE BIRD!!

Spoiler

Check out my Blog!!
http://eastonhamer24.blogspot.com/

Check out my Blog!!^^^^^
ADD ME ON FLICKER!!!
http://www.flickr.co...4/sets/72157634
http://memedad.com/
Project Noah
http://www.projectno...rs/Easton Hamer

#11 Chaseman

Chaseman

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:35 PM

Sorry, my suet recipe is the basic one. I cup Peanut Butter, I cup Crisco, I cup Cornmeal, I cup Sugar, 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup water. Melt the Peanut Butter and Crisco in the microwave for 2 minutes. Mix the dry ingredients together and then add the melted mixture. I also add in some bread crumbs, oats and raisins. Once that is all mixed up, add the water. Put the container in the refrigerator to set up. Spread it and enjoy!

On another note, I posted on another thread about your Black-capped Chickadee. If those pics are from Georgia, the only Chickadee we have is the Carolina Chickadee. You may want to correct your identifications!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users