Birdie bye

Identify baby bird

6 posts in this topic

This picture is of a baby bird whom was pushed from the nest by a black snake. I've been feeding the last 24hrs. The nest (in Virginia) was under the deck, somehow attached to the small ledge of 2x4. Thought it might be a house sparrow but the mother never acted aggressive. I've also seen some blue birds. post-48646-0-73318700-1369330447_thumb.jpgpost-48646-0-35423800-1369330660_thumb.jpg

Welcome to Whatbird! Your bird is an Eastern Phoebe - they like to nest on ledges beneath decks.

Some of its fellow nestlings may have been eaten by the Rat Snake. I often find Gray Rat Snakes in my porch because we have Carolina Wrens nesting there. I find them in/near my chicken coops too, as they feed on the eggs. I usually relocate them to a forest down the road. I would urge you to do the same instead of killing the snake (in case you were considering the latter).

This picture is of a baby bird whom was pushed from the nest by a black snake. I've been feeding the last 24hrs. The nest (in Virginia) was under the deck, somehow attached to the small ledge of 2x4. Thought it might be a house sparrow but the mother never acted aggressive. I've also seen some blue birds. attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

I highly recommend you get this bird to a proper rehabber ASAP. 

1 person likes this

This picture is of a baby bird whom was pushed from the nest by a black snake. I've been feeding the last 24hrs. The nest (in Virginia) was under the deck, somehow attached to the small ledge of 2x4. Thought it might be a house sparrow but the mother never acted aggressive. I've also seen some blue birds. attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Here's a link to an article about what to do with an abandoned baby bird:

http://www.whatbird.com/forum/index.php?/topic/84528-injured-bird-or-young-bird-found/

1 person likes this

Thanks for all the advice. After 3 days of rehab to get healthy and responsive, took outside for the day where mother bird started feeding! Took in at night to be safe and after about 4 days of the mother feeding, little phoebe flew off to the nearby trees where I was able to follow her for about two days until she got so quick flying that I lost sight at that point! Thanks again

2 people like this