• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Birdie bye

Birdie bye

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

This picture is of a baby bird whom was pushed from the nest by a black snake. I've been feeding the last 24hrs. The nest (in Virginia) was under the deck, somehow attached to the small ledge of 2x4. Thought it might be a house sparrow but the mother never acted aggressive. I've also seen some blue birds. Attached File  image.jpg   128.8KB   120 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   30.14KB   117 downloads

#2 Liam

Liam

Ospreys are not trash

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,631 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:54 PM

Welcome to Whatbird! Your bird is an Eastern Phoebe - they like to nest on ledges beneath decks.

Some of its fellow nestlings may have been eaten by the Rat Snake. I often find Gray Rat Snakes in my porch because we have Carolina Wrens nesting there. I find them in/near my chicken coops too, as they feed on the eggs. I usually relocate them to a forest down the road. I would urge you to do the same instead of killing the snake (in case you were considering the latter).

qO1ocya.png

Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

RPBLf08.png

#3 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,568 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal. Foothills, Cleveland Ntl. Forest

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

This picture is of a baby bird whom was pushed from the nest by a black snake. I've been feeding the last 24hrs. The nest (in Virginia) was under the deck, somehow attached to the small ledge of 2x4. Thought it might be a house sparrow but the mother never acted aggressive. I've also seen some blue birds. attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

I highly recommend you get this bird to a proper rehabber ASAP. 

Life list: 351

24 to go

Most recent lifers: Red-eyed Vireo, Hooded Warbler, Gull-billed Tern, Palm Warbler, Lesser Nighthawk, Dusky-capped Flycatcher, Little Gull, Glaucous Gull, Thayer's Gull, Ancient Murrelet, Winter Wren 

This year's goal: Get life list to 375, see 315 different birds this year. 

Seen/heard: 289
To go: 26

My wee blog: http://thisskysings.wordpress.com/

#4 Cavan Wood

Cavan Wood

Cavan Wood

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,319 posts
  • LocationCavan, Ontario (near Peterborough)

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:37 PM

I agree with the id and the rehab advice.
Scott

#5 Aveschapines

Aveschapines

Helen - la pajarera fantástica

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,785 posts
  • LocationQuetzaltenango, Guatemala

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

This picture is of a baby bird whom was pushed from the nest by a black snake. I've been feeding the last 24hrs. The nest (in Virginia) was under the deck, somehow attached to the small ledge of 2x4. Thought it might be a house sparrow but the mother never acted aggressive. I've also seen some blue birds. attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Here's a link to an article about what to do with an abandoned baby bird:

http://www.whatbird....ung-bird-found/

Latest lifers: 20 from the 2014 Christmas Bird Count in Petén

#6 Birdie bye

Birdie bye

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:40 AM

Thanks for all the advice. After 3 days of rehab to get healthy and responsive, took outside for the day where mother bird started feeding! Took in at night to be safe and after about 4 days of the mother feeding, little phoebe flew off to the nearby trees where I was able to follow her for about two days until she got so quick flying that I lost sight at that point! Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users