6 replies to this topic

#1 chocolie

chocolie

chocolie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:04 AM

I live in Indiana and just saw a beautiful bird with a red beak and red tail and greyish/brown body. It was a little round bird and not too small, but not big. It was on a tree right outside my window and when it saw me it jumped on the screen attached to the window and kind of pecked at the glass. It then repeated itself by jumping back into the tree and back onto the screen. It was not scared of me at all. Can anyone identify this bird?

Poor little thing...I felt sorry for it being out in the snow.

Thank you,

Julie

#2 IndianaBirdLover

IndianaBirdLover

IndianaBirdLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:53 AM

Sounds like a female cardinal -- the males are a bright red over their entire body, but the females are much duller.  (By the way, they're also our state bird.   Smile)

Cardinal 

#3 Possumbird55

Possumbird55

Possumbird55

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:03 AM

The description certainly fits that of a female cardinal but the behavior doesn't, not in my experience anyway.  Every cardinal that comes to my yard is so skittish that even when I go up to the window they scatter!

I have to agree that they are beautiful in their own right.  THe males usually get all the attention but the 'girls' are beautiful, too. 

#4 mousebird

mousebird

mousebird

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:06 AM

Some are braver than others. My friend had a mirror on her back porch and Mr Cardinal used to fight with his reflection...

If the beak is red and the tail, it sure sounds like a cardinal!

#5 chocolie

chocolie

chocolie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:40 AM

That is it! A female cardinal is definately what I saw. I must say, though, I don't think I have ever noticed a female before. Typically I just see the red males and I guess I just assumed the females were red all over too. She was so beautiful, I am so glad she came to my window... it really made my day.

By the way, are there a lot of birds that don't fly south for the winter?

Thanks for the replies!

#6 Jello5700

Jello5700

Jello5700

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:02 AM

I'm from central Indiana and I average around 9 to 13 different species of birds each day.  A lot of the birds head to the south like Ruby-throated hummingbirds, all types warblers, and purple martins are a few. Then there are other birds that think Indiana is far enough south and winter here. Like Dark-eyed junco, American Tree Sparrow, White-crowned Sparrow and Sharp-shinned Hawk just to name a few of my favorite winter birds.

I love male cardinals but personally i like the females a little bit more.Smile

#7 IndianaBirdLover

IndianaBirdLover

IndianaBirdLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:01 PM

Yep, 9 to 13 species at my feeder sounds about right too -- plus there's more that don't migrate but also don't really come to feeders (crows, starlings, etc).  The dark-eyed junco is my primary bird right now, but the red-breasted nuthatches and downy woodpeckers make frequent stops. (Not to mention the cardinals that are always around).  Mourning doves and American goldfinches are pretty common as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users