• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Waiting

Waiting

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:33 AM

For the last week I haven't been able to go into the back yard during the day without being attacked.

It's a grey bird with white areas and black on the wings. It is about the size of a jay, maybe a bit smaller. I thought it was some form of jay but all the pictures I've found show blue and this bird has none.

I'm in Modesto, CA, in the northern San Joaquin Valley.

I don't know if it's defending a nest or mating territory. Its area seems to be about 6 back yards. I can see others like it several yards away patrolling "their" territory.

Thanks,

gary

#2 blackburnian

blackburnian

14 year old birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,013 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:58 AM

sounds like a Mockingbird

Ryan

ABA- 292
2014- 258

#3 IvoryBillHope

IvoryBillHope

North Carolina Teen Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,196 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:59 AM

Gray Jay, Clark's Nutcracker

Life List- 219
2014- 137

Recent lifers- Sandwich Tern, Black Skimmer, Whimbrel, Wilson's Plover!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yard List- 73

#4 trialsz63

trialsz63

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationCentral Oklahoma

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:00 AM

Could it be a Northern Mockingbird?

http://identify.what...ockingbird.aspx

They'll aggressively defend their territory like that, dive-bombing anyone or anything that they think might be a danger to their nest. I've had to fight them off in my yard before.

Deanne

Flickr account (better photos): https://www.flickr.c.../120375194@N04/
Photobucket bird album: http://s1359.photobu...s?sort=3&page=1

Life list: 195

Yard list: 49

#5 blackburnian

blackburnian

14 year old birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,013 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:01 AM

Welcome to Whatbird!

Ryan

ABA- 292
2014- 258

#6 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,524 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:04 AM

Welcome to WhatBird neighbor.

I agree, that's classic behavior for a Northern Mockingbird.

IBH: Modesto is way out of range for Gray Jay and there is only one record of nutcracker in Stanislaus County that I'm aware of.

The sludge caught in the mind's filter, the stuff that refuses to go through, frequently becomes each person's private obsession. In civilized society we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions "hobbies". - Stephen King

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers. - Me

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Sooty Grouse, Great Gray Owl: Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County, CA, 8/18/14

Calliope Hummingbird, Evening Grosbeak: Niagara Creek Campgrounds, Tuolumne County, CA 8/4/14

Northern Goshawk: Eagle Meadow, Tuolumne County, CA, 8/4

Pine Grosbeak: Plasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Short-billed Dowitcher: Ceres Wastewater Treatment Facility, Cere, CA, 8/20/14

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker: Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County, CA, 8/18/14

Peregrine Falcon, Black Tern, Bank Swallow: Modesto Wastewater treatment Facility, Modesto, CA, 8/10/14

Mountain Quail: Hwy 108 at Cow Creek, Tulomne County, CA, 8/4/14

Prairie Falcon, Pileated Woodpecker (5), Pygmy Nuthatch: Plasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Western Screech-Owl: Enslen Park, Modesto, CA, 4/16/14, 7/2/14, 7/6/14

#7 Waiting

Waiting

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:08 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I looked at pictures of the birds mentioned and I'm thinking it's the Northern Mockingbird. The Clark's Nutcracker is close but a lighter grey and a rounder head.

Is there something I can do to make my yard "off limits"? Plastic owls or something?

In a short period of time yesterday it dive-bombed me a dozen times and hit me four times, even slamming into my thigh. It would have hit me more, but if I turned to face it mid-swoop it would abort. It only attacks from behind.

I have a garden to water and having to be constantly vigilant is bad for my blood pressure.

It hasn't driven off the doves or "my" hummingbird but the sparrows are pretty sparse.

Thanks,

gary

#8 mikeslaven

mikeslaven

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationMorgantown, West Virignia

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:14 AM

If it has flashing white wing bars in flight it's a Mockingbird.

#9 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal. Foothills, Cleveland Ntl. Forest

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:17 AM

Well if there is a nest, you need to wait a bit. You certainly don't want to drive off a bird that has young to care for. It won't be long... wear a hat:)

New Birder January 1, 2013
Life list: 329
Most recent lifers: Northern Parula, Tennessee Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, Vesper Sparrow, Craveri's MurreletAshy Storm-Petral, Grasshopper Sparrow, Willow Flycatcher, Barn Owl, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Sabine's Gull, Scripp's Murrelet, Rhinoceros Auklet, Black Storm-Petral, MacGillivray's Warbler, Black-chinned Sparrow, Gull-billed Tern, Calliope Hummingbird,  Red Knot, Violet-green Swallow, Short-billed Dowitcher, Mountain Quail, Summer Tanager, Dusky Flycatcher, Baltimore Oriole, Sage Thrasher, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Western Screech Owl, Cassin's Vireo, Northern Waterthrush, Rusty Blackbird, Tricolored Blackbird, Burrowing Owl, Prairie Falcon, White-winged Scoter, Herring Gull, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Hermit Warbler, Lewis's Woodpecker, Plumbeous Vireo

-- DONE! My first goal is met: get 100 birds in the first week of January (and I'm over count and still have two days to go). My approach was not to go after the easy birds, but the harder ones and pick up the easier ones along the way. So meeting this goal without really birding the easy spots is encouraging. I might feel different in August.
--  DONE! My goal for the next week (through the 15th) is to get my count up somewhere around 160. That shouldn't be too hard I don't think as I am missing a number of pretty easy species because I've been concentrating on local rarities. I am, however, taking a trip to the grasslands on Sunday hoping to get a new raptor or two and Mountain Bluebird.
--  DONE! With (yeah!) days to go! My goal for this week (through the 22nd of Jan) is to get my numbers up to around 170. I'd like to hit 175. We'll see. (I was 9 birds over... horray!)
--  1/2 DONE This week's goal will be to get my life list to 300 and my seen list up to 195. Did not get my life list to 300. Didn't leave the county this week.
--  Finally completed last week's goal.
--  DONE! This weeks goal (to Feb 14) is to get to 206 seen birds, including at least one owl (heard or seen for owl), and add at least one life bird.

This year's goal: Get life list to 400, see 365 different birds this year, and travel to at least three other states. The last part is the hardest for me.

Seen/heard: 301 (one is under discussion)
To go: 64

My new Blog: http://thisskysings.wordpress.com/

#10 Bird Brain

Bird Brain

Bird Brain

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,093 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:31 AM

Welcome to Whatbird! Definitely sounds like a Northern Mockingbird. Like cany said, it won't be long until the young are hatched and fledged.

We did not inherit Mother Earth from our Ancestors.....

We have borrowed Her from our Descendants.

Chief Seattle of the Suquamish Tribe (paraphrased)

Man belongs to the Earth...Earth does not belong to Man.

Black Elk of the Lakota Tribe

#11 Waiting

Waiting

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:37 AM

You certainly don't want to drive off a bird that has young to care for.

Agreed. Anyone know how long it takes from hatch to pushing out of the nest?

I'm pretty sure it displays the "flashing white wing bars". Mostly what I see is a flurry of feathers.

gary

#12 BigSkyKen

BigSkyKen

bigskyken

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:38 AM

Sounds like a case of irritable fowl disease!  As the others indicated, it will runs its course.  Not sure if the plastic owl idea will work, but from what I understand, it is the eyes on the owl dummies that deter birds.  Maybe wearing a T-shirt with a face and big eyes on the back will reduce the strikes while you are tending your yard...just an idea.

Ken Bryan
Visit My Nature & Wildlife Blog: His Creation

#13 Bird Brain

Bird Brain

Bird Brain

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,093 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

Anyone know how long it takes from hatch to pushing out of the nest?

gary

From 12 to 14 days.

We did not inherit Mother Earth from our Ancestors.....

We have borrowed Her from our Descendants.

Chief Seattle of the Suquamish Tribe (paraphrased)

Man belongs to the Earth...Earth does not belong to Man.

Black Elk of the Lakota Tribe

#14 Waiting

Waiting

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:02 AM

Well, I don't know what happened, somebody somewhere musta flipped a switch.

Went out in the back yard on Sunday and no bird skwaking at me. No dive-bombing. No puffing and wing flapping.

Mocking birds are still around but they show no interest in me or my yard. They are still fussing at each other and they are singing, which I hadn't been hearing. And the doves are cooing again.

I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, but it's pretty strange.

I'm still wary and a bit jumpy, I think he's lurking out there, letting me get complacent, and then WHAM! Right upside the head!

gary

#15 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,864 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:05 AM

Yeah, you're wise not to trust those little grey and whites! They're probably planning their next method of attack, whilst lulling you into complacency.

Creationist Birder

#16 South Laurel

South Laurel

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationLondon, KY

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

Best thing I have found, place a fake snake where don't want the birds (under a bush near your porch, close to a tree you think they will nest around in the spring time but this puts off all birds not just Mockingbirds so you need to think about it). My Mockingbirds just hiss and if I move they watch me like hawks but never go after me, but I am aware of which parts of my yard are off limits this time of year. It is something I have gotten used to over the years.

Add me as a Contact on Flickr @ http://www.flickr.co...sv_photography/

Give me some feedback on my website? http://kayla-shae-w..../ksvphotography

Member of: ABA 2013

Life List - 105

83 dino's in 2013

22 dino's in 2014

Latest Lifer: Solitary Sandpiper, Northern Harrier, Cooper's Hawkt, Northern Shoveler, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Green/Blue Winged Teal, Swamp Sparrow, Gray Catbird

Highlights of 2013: Bald Eagle, Cedar Waxwing, Common Nighthawk, Osprey, Summer Tanager

Highlights of 2014: Northern Harrier, Cliff Swallow, Solitary Sandpiper

#17 LauraC

LauraC

LauraC

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:31 AM

Thanks for the replies.

I looked at pictures of the birds mentioned and I'm thinking it's the Northern Mockingbird. The Clark's Nutcracker is close but a lighter grey and a rounder head.

Is there something I can do to make my yard "off limits"? Plastic owls or something?

In a short period of time yesterday it dive-bombed me a dozen times and hit me four times, even slamming into my thigh. It would have hit me more, but if I turned to face it mid-swoop it would abort. It only attacks from behind.

I have a garden to water and having to be constantly vigilant is bad for my blood pressure.

It hasn't driven off the doves or "my" hummingbird but the sparrows are pretty sparse.

Thanks,

gary

You should see them go after crows.  This year I have see more mockingbirds dive bombing and chasing crows on the ground, in trees and along the water, than ever before.  They like red grapes.  Maybe you could toss a few to divert them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users