• LocationSo. Cal. Foothills, Cleveland Ntl. Forest

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:34 AM

Note patterned face etc.

8955333404_4633c65bb2.jpg
IMG_1084 by canyon53ss, on Flickr

Thank you.

New Birder January 1, 2013
Life list: 326
Most recent lifersCraveri's MurreletAshy Storm-Petral, Grasshopper Sparrow, Willow Flycatcher, Barn Owl, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Sabine's Gull, Scripp's Murrelet, Rhinoceros Auklet, Black Storm-Petral, MacGillivray's Warbler, Black-chinned Sparrow, Gull-billed Tern, Calliope Hummingbird,  Red Knot, Violet-green Swallow, Short-billed Dowitcher, Mountain Quail, Summer Tanager, Dusky Flycatcher, Baltimore Oriole, Sage Thrasher, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Western Screech Owl, Cassin's Vireo, Northern Waterthrush, Rusty Blackbird, Tricolored Blackbird, Burrowing Owl, Prairie Falcon, White-winged Scoter, Herring Gull, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Hermit Warbler, Lewis's Woodpecker, Plumbeous Vireo

-- DONE! My first goal is met: get 100 birds in the first week of January (and I'm over count and still have two days to go). My approach was not to go after the easy birds, but the harder ones and pick up the easier ones along the way. So meeting this goal without really birding the easy spots is encouraging. I might feel different in August.
--  DONE! My goal for the next week (through the 15th) is to get my count up somewhere around 160. That shouldn't be too hard I don't think as I am missing a number of pretty easy species because I've been concentrating on local rarities. I am, however, taking a trip to the grasslands on Sunday hoping to get a new raptor or two and Mountain Bluebird.
--  DONE! With (yeah!) days to go! My goal for this week (through the 22nd of Jan) is to get my numbers up to around 170. I'd like to hit 175. We'll see. (I was 9 birds over... horray!)
--  1/2 DONE This week's goal will be to get my life list to 300 and my seen list up to 195. Did not get my life list to 300. Didn't leave the county this week.
--  Finally completed last week's goal.
--  DONE! This weeks goal (to Feb 14) is to get to 206 seen birds, including at least one owl (heard or seen for owl), and add at least one life bird.

This year's goal: Get life list to 400, see 365 different birds this year, and travel to at least three other states. The last part is the hardest for me.

Seen/heard: 283 (one is under discussion)
To go: 82

My new Blog: http://thisskysings.wordpress.com/

#2 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:37 AM

Yep, tis the season. Watch for the next nesting of the parents within the next couple of days. ;)

Creationist Birder

#3 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:16 AM

Yep, tis the season. Watch for the next nesting of the parents within the next couple of days. ;)

Ha. Well, I happen to really like the birds, so that's cool with me:) They are gentle souls.

Most recent lifersCraveri's MurreletAshy Storm-Petral, Grasshopper Sparrow, Willow Flycatcher, Barn Owl, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Sabine's Gull, Scripp's Murrelet, Rhinoceros Auklet, Black Storm-Petral, MacGillivray's Warbler, Black-chinned Sparrow, Gull-billed Tern, Calliope Hummingbird,  Red Knot, Violet-green Swallow, Short-billed Dowitcher, Mountain Quail, Summer Tanager, Dusky Flycatcher, Baltimore Oriole, Sage Thrasher, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Western Screech Owl, Cassin's Vireo, Northern Waterthrush, Rusty Blackbird, Tricolored Blackbird, Burrowing Owl, Prairie Falcon, White-winged Scoter, Herring Gull, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Hermit Warbler, Lewis's Woodpecker, Plumbeous Vireo

-- DONE! My first goal is met: get 100 birds in the first week of January (and I'm over count and still have two days to go). My approach was not to go after the easy birds, but the harder ones and pick up the easier ones along the way. So meeting this goal without really birding the easy spots is encouraging. I might feel different in August.
--  DONE! My goal for the next week (through the 15th) is to get my count up somewhere around 160. That shouldn't be too hard I don't think as I am missing a number of pretty easy species because I've been concentrating on local rarities. I am, however, taking a trip to the grasslands on Sunday hoping to get a new raptor or two and Mountain Bluebird.
--  DONE! With (yeah!) days to go! My goal for this week (through the 22nd of Jan) is to get my numbers up to around 170. I'd like to hit 175. We'll see. (I was 9 birds over... horray!)
--  1/2 DONE This week's goal will be to get my life list to 300 and my seen list up to 195. Did not get my life list to 300. Didn't leave the county this week.
--  DONE! This weeks goal (to Feb 14) is to get to 206 seen birds, including at least one owl (heard or seen for owl), and add at least one life bird.

This year's goal: Get life list to 400, see 365 different birds this year, and travel to at least three other states. The last part is the hardest for me.

#4 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:23 AM

If you get too close to the nest, the parents might do a comical broken wing act, like your Killdeer did in that other post.

Creationist Birder

#5 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:28 AM

I'll watch for it:)

#6 Channy3232

Channy3232

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:42 AM

This was a few weeks ago, the day before they fledged.  The pair is back again for a second round  haha  I don't mind.  I specifically hung the pot up without any plants so they could use it like they did twice last year.  

Just to give you an idea of how close they let me get, this was a 50mm lens that I was holding up above my head, maybe about a foot away from their faces.  They got so used to us being around, they would only flinch if we made really sudden movements or loud noises

http://www.flickr.co...N03/8771695907/

#7 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:49 AM

Aw:) Looks comfy in there. What a nice landlord you are:)

#8 Bird Brain

Bird Brain

Bird Brain

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,043 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:50 PM

Nice shot, channy!!

We did not inherit Mother Earth from our Ancestors.....

We have borrowed Her from our Descendants.

Chief Seattle of the Suquamish Tribe (paraphrased)

Man belongs to the Earth...Earth does not belong to Man.

Black Elk of the Lakota Tribe

#9 cestma

cestma

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

Aw, great shot, Channy!
Trip report: Oregon Jaunt II http://www.whatbird....ii/#entry551308
Trip report: Oregon Jaunt http://www.whatbird....4-oregon-jaunt/
Trip report: Birding in Michigan's Upper Peninsula http://www.whatbird....pper-peninsula/

#10 Channy3232

Channy3232

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 04:36 AM

Thanks!  I think the babies look like Gonzo from the Muppets  lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users