3 replies to this topic

#1 Julherberg

Julherberg

Julherberg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:45 PM

A few days ago two birds, blue, black and white in color appeared in our backyard.  My husband was working outside and said that the birds seemed totally unafraid and approached him several times.  Yesterday, they really made a lot of noise and kept flying around our back deck, landing on a thin pane of our French door, where they would either squawk or start vigorous pecking at the glass.  They would fly back and forth from an electrical/phone line that comes into our house and the French door.  Whenever they fly a short distance away, I could get them to almost immediately return by merely tapping with my fingernail on the glass.  As with my husband, they really did not seem to have any fear of humans whatsoever and even looked right at me through the glass of the door!  They are back today and noisy as ever. 

They don't appear to be the type of bluejays that I encountered while living in Michigan and most closely resemble the jays that are only suppose dto be on Santa Cruz island, whereas I am in the Los Angeles area... they sound like them too...the Mexican version do not match the coloration.

Can anyone help me identify them?  I've attached one photo, but have two more I can share as well--1 side profile and one underbelly.

THANKS! 

Attached Files

#2 PoorMatty

PoorMatty

PoorMatty

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,883 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:48 PM

They are Western Scrub-Jays.

#3 Julherberg

Julherberg

Julherberg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:00 PM

Can you take a look at my gallery and the other pics just to be sure?  Thanks.

#4 Whetty

Whetty

Whetty

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  • LocationCentral Wisconsin

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:49 PM

Yep, you have Western Scrub-Jays.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users