• Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
cany

Share your best photo of the day!

11314 posts in this topic

I didn't take any photos today (for shame). Can I post my best from yesterday? :P

2 people like this

I didn't take any photos today (for shame). Can I post my best from yesterday? :P

Sure! If you post it yesterday :)

4 people like this

Nice shot, Cany. Have enjoyed your recent posts.

Gee thanks! I'm trying to learn as much as I can (and take a bazillion photos) before I get my new camera. I'm finding there is a lot of instinct involved... and a lot of shots:)

I'm still not shooting RAW or post processing at all. I need to get a hard drive to store my RAW photos on because my little lap top will quickly become overwhelmed with the large file size. The photo would be much better if the branches didn't have bird poop on them:)

Take a great one tomorrow! And post it!

I did this so everyone has a chance to post their good photos!

1 person likes this

Well, it's not my favorite sighting of the day, but I love this pic of a male Northern Cardinal changling :)

06302013-18.JPG

17 people like this

Today I saw and photographed American Goldfinches, Tree Swallows, three otters, a Black Tern, an American BIttern, numerous American Pelicans, an Osprey, some horses, various ducks, and even a jet flying through the dark half of a half-full super moon. But for all of those there was some kind of problem: too far away, bad lighting, other tech problems, etc. But my best pic was of—wait for it—a Song Sparrow, go figure!

YDqdoFW.jpg

18 people like this

Take a great one tomorrow! And post it!

I'll try to pull something off... lots of Mockingbirds in the neighborhood. :)

2 people like this

Went chasing this bird this morning about an hour away. After three and a half hours....

9185480223_dacd604f9a.jpg

I think he has a limpet in his/her bill. I didn't have much time to photo the bird, so I was very pleased with this. Hardly perfect, but not too bad.

1/1250 ƒ/5.6 ISO 400 143.5 mm

20 people like this

Today I saw and photographed American Goldfinches, Tree Swallows, three otters, a Black Tern, an American BIttern, numerous American Pelicans, an Osprey, some horses, various ducks, and even a jet flying through the dark half of a half-full super moon. But for all of those there was some kind of problem: too far away, bad lighting, other tech problems, etc. But my best pic was of—wait for it—a Song Sparrow, go figure!

YDqdoFW.jpg

A house sparrow was my 100th bird. I just couldn't believe it!

5 people like this

A house sparrow was my 100th bird. I just couldn't believe it!

Well, it's gotta be in some position or another, why not 100th! It would be cool if we got a spectacular bird every time we got to an 'odometer' number, but I don't see any cosmic law that would make it so. :)

The Song Sparrow was not a lifer for me but I did get four lifers this past weekend: Eurasian Collared-Dove, Vesper Sparrow, Grasshopper Sparrow, and Acorn Woodpecker. For me a lifer is when I get a picture of a bird. I am not counting sightings with no photo. At the moment I am somewhere above 100, and not very far above, but I don't know the exact count since I am so far behind in my photo processing.

Anyhoo, I think I am just rambling away so I will simply stop here. Enjoy the rest of your day! :)

1 person likes this

Well, it's gotta be in some position or another, why not 100th! It would be cool if we got a spectacular bird every time we got to an 'odometer' number, but I don't see any cosmic law that would make it so.  :)

The Song Sparrow was not a lifer for me but I did get four lifers this past weekend: Eurasian Collared-Dove, Vesper Sparrow, Grasshopper Sparrow, and Acorn Woodpecker. For me a lifer is when I get a picture of a bird. I am not counting sightings with no photo. At the moment I am somewhere above 100, and not very far above, but I don't know the exact count since I am so far behind in my photo processing.

Anyhoo, I think I am just rambling away so I will simply stop here. Enjoy the rest of your day!  :)

==========================================

I lived up your way for a year in maybe '73 or '74 right allow the Willamette River off River Road. Neat place, though the river was a mess at the time. I'd love to go up your way to go birding one of these days.

1 person likes this

I lived up your way for a year in maybe '73 or '74 right allow the Willamette River off River Road. Neat place, though the river was a mess at the time. I'd love to go up your way to go birding one of these days.

That's kind of a coincidence actually as i was living on River Road from the Fall of '72 through the Spring of '73. And if you decide to come up, great! Just let me know and I'll show you what I know of the birding ropes around these parts. Gotta warn you though I am not a particularly sophisticated birder. My entry into birding has been through photography--I find birds to be fascinating subjects--so basically I wander around with my camera looking for birds to photograph and learn about them as I find them and observe them. Consequently my bird knowledge is pretty spotty and limited to the species that are easiest to find and observe. Anyway, hope you get the idea. So definitely look me up if you get 'up' here from 'down' where you are. :)

1 person likes this

My favorite of the day.  Not even absolutely sure what it is yet.  I think great crested flycatcher.  Interestingly, that's one of only two or three types of birds I took pics of this morning before leaving the house (in rural woodlands) and was gone all day to the urban wasteland.  I love birds and see 'em everywhere I go, so I take pictures.  This one had a nest in a Luby's parking lot tree :)  It was trying to scare me away from the nest.  Edit: Figured out it's a Western Kingbird

BirdAtLuby%2527s.jpg

6 people like this

My favorite of the day.  Not even absolutely sure what it is yet.  I think great crested flycatcher.  Interestingly, that's one of only two or three types of birds I took pics of this morning before leaving the house (in rural woodlands) and was gone all day to the urban wasteland.  I love birds and see 'em everywhere I go, so I take pictures.  This one had a nest in a Luby's parking lot tree :)  It was trying to scare me away from the nest.

BirdAtLuby%2527s.jpg

Nice catch!

Thanks! Came across about a dozen on the boardwalk... this one was really cooperative though, and didn't dart off right away.

Not of a bird, but this is by far my best photo of the day:

9194851752_19ba8dd134.jpg
Skink by Ronso Cane Corsos, on Flickr

Me likey:)

2 people like this

Best photo of today belongs to this Prothonotary Warbler (who was super cooperative. I got at least 5-6 good shots of him):

Nice shot, and what an incredibly beautiful bird!

3 people like this