Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
cany

Share your best photo of the day!

This is the best shot I could get today. It was getting dark when I finally got to do something fun. 

Yellow-Crowned Night Heron, central Oklahoma 

I wonder why none of these that I've seen actually have a yellow crown. It looks white to me.

Yellow Crowned Night Heron 7 20 2013

• Like 2

Looks this is my best one for today AND I even got it processed on the same day I took it. There was only two hours of good light this morning, from sunrise to 8 a.m. Then it clouded up and that pretty much rendered my f5.6 birding lens of little value.

KXTSDXT.jpg

• Like 6

Looks this is my best one for today AND I even got it processed on the same day I took it. There was only two hours of good light this morning, from sunrise to 8 a.m. Then it clouded up and that pretty much rendered my f5.6 birding lens of little value.

KXTSDXT.jpg

I love the shadow from his wings on his body! Beautiful shot.

• Like 1

I love the shadow from his wings on his body! Beautiful shot.

Thanks, Cany! I kinda sorta wish you could see his eye peering through the second and third primaries of his left wing though just cause that would be cooler. Oh well, you can't have everything. :)

• Like 1

oaktitmouse.jpg

I think this might be my best photo from yesterday - my first day of photographing birds!

I got a shot of an oak titmouse standing on a sunflower seed and opening it with its beak. They love sunflower seeds and make quick work of them with this (hilarious-looking) method.

• Like 1

Went out early today before the rain hit. got a new life bird (Brown-crested flycatcher), but I think this Curve-billed thrasher was one of my better photos.

971878_699887403360728_993118385_n.jpg

• Like 2

oaktitmouse.jpg

I think this might be my best photo from yesterday - my first day of photographing birds!

I got a shot of an oak titmouse standing on a sunflower seed and opening it with its beak. They love sunflower seeds and make quick work of them with this (hilarious-looking) method.

I know... these are such cute and wonderful birds!

Went out early today before the rain hit. got a new life bird (Brown-crested flycatcher), but I think this Curve-billed thrasher was one of my better photos.

971878_699887403360728_993118385_n.jpg

Very nice. They are a bird that always looks so intense, don't they?

• Like 1

I always have a hard time discerning between best and favorite....it always boils down to my favorite :)  Love this cocky little guy's pose!

07222013-25.JPG

And then there was the moon over north Texas tonight....never realized the moon had a navel...looks like the end of a balloon :)

07222013-28.JPG

Went to the local grasslands this morning for sparrows, got a couple of Henslow's. I got down low so the distant field would be totally out of focus giving me a nice background.

p1850524215-4.jpg

7D | 500f4L | 1/1000 @ f8 | ISO 400 |

• Like 7

Went to the local grasslands this morning for sparrows, got a couple of Henslow's. I got down low so the distant field would be totally out of focus giving me a nice background.

p1850524215-4.jpg

7D | 500f4L | 1/1000 @ f8 | ISO 400 |

Beautiful photo!

Might not be the total best, but it was an interesting watch. I can't begin to tell you how long that fish wriggled around in its throat (gullet?) after being swallows. Was weird to watch.

No sooner had he swallowed the first and he/she caught this one:

9355942712_18c9ff9d76.jpg

• Like 1

It may not be the "best" one, but by golly, it was the hardest to get and the one I'm most proud of :)

White-eyed Vireo

White-Eyed%2520Vireo.jpg

I'd love to see one of those:)  Someday!

Yesterdays best picture for me. . . the ever present House Finch.

9356501639_9ed7792864_c.jpg

Nice photo!

Hard to pick just one, so I'll show my favorite 3 out of almost 100 shots I took of this juvenile Cooper's today. 

I saw it fly into our Fir tree overlooking the bird feeders today, so I grabbed my camera and started shooting through the window.

After taking several photos without it spooking I decided to ease outside and see if I could get better shots. It wasn't a bit disturbed

by me being in the yard so I started clicking away!!

A dove flew in to the feeder, then flew up into the tree when it saw me close by.It landed about 15 ft from the Cooper's, and the

Hawk made an awkward attempt to catch the dove by hopping toward it limb to limb. Never knew a dove could move so fast!!

The Coop made no attempt to fly after the dove...it was clear that this was a true novice that had not been hunting on its own

before.

Other birds began to fly in to the feeders, and it was very interesting to watch the Coops reaction as it visually keyed in on each

bird it saw. It never tried to fly after any of them, but it was watching them like...like.....well, like a Hawk!! After seeing its reaction to

the birds, I eased in closer to it and got to within 15 ft of it. I snapped a few full frame photos, then eased back in and left it to try

to figure out what it was supposed to do about the birds. It stayed in the tree for another half hour or so, and the last I saw of it was

as it hopped to higher limbs till I could no longer see it. It was a very interesting and entertaining experience, to say the least!!

Ist photo is it watching me as I went outside...

9366490759_3599f9bd4e.jpg
1-Cooper's Hawk  07-25-2013 047 by littlebear_elder, on Flickr

2nd is the full frame photo, no crop...

9366489397_217f008833.jpg
1-Cooper's Hawk  07-25-2013 055 by littlebear_elder, on Flickr

This one is probably my favorite because...well, I'll let y'all be the judges!!

9369265718_f1e0363563.jpg
1-Cooper's Hawk  07-25-2013 036 by littlebear_elder, on Flickr

• Like 5

Hard to pick just one, so I'll show my favorite 3 out of almost 100 shots I took of this juvenile Cooper's today. 

I saw it fly into our Fir tree overlooking the bird feeders today, so I grabbed my camera and started shooting through the window.

After taking several photos without it spooking I decided to ease outside and see if I could get better shots. It wasn't a bit disturbed

by me being in the yard so I started clicking away!!

A dove flew in to the feeder, then flew up into the tree when it saw me close by.It landed about 15 ft from the Cooper's, and the

Hawk made an awkward attempt to catch the dove by hopping toward it limb to limb. Never knew a dove could move so fast!!

The Coop made no attempt to fly after the dove...it was clear that this was a true novice that had not been hunting on its own

before.

Other birds began to fly in to the feeders, and it was very interesting to watch the Coops reaction as it visually keyed in on each

bird it saw. It never tried to fly after any of them, but it was watching them like...like.....well, like a Hawk!! After seeing its reaction to

the birds, I eased in closer to it and got to within 15 ft of it. I snapped a few full frame photos, then eased back in and left it to try

to figure out what it was supposed to do about the birds. It stayed in the tree for another half hour or so, and the last I saw of it was

as it hopped to higher limbs till I could no longer see it. It was a very interesting and entertaining experience, to say the least!!

This one is probably my favorite because...well, I'll let y'all be the judges!!

9369265718_f1e0363563.jpg

1-Cooper's Hawk  07-25-2013 036 by littlebear_elder, on Flickr

Well, this is just beautiful! I love the way the pine needles surround the head and mirror the pattern of the feathers on the bird's neck and chest. And to top it all off there is that regal tilt to the head. Very, very, nice! :)