Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
cany

Share your best photo of the day!

Bird Brain    4295

Best for today, also the best I've ever taken of a White-breasted Nuthatch. It was at the bird bath drinking so it actually sat still for more than .05 seconds (which seems to be the maximum for them)!!

36819751942_44d0f2f876_z.jpgIMG_9813-001 by Wayne J Smith, on Flickr

• Like 12

Usha    354

Rufous hummingbird.....didn't realize they have a rufous eyeliner :P

Rufous hummingbird

• Like 11

Melierax    2704
On 9/2/2017 at 2:24 PM, Toofly said:

Out with the daughter today! She's a natural!

alyssa

(I'm thinking Little Blue Heron...but I was hoping Reddish Egret :(  )

She looks like me when I was younger :) Awesome bird!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Shyanni    625

It's been too freakin' hot to go out lately (thank God for air conditioning!) but I needed some exercise, so I went out early this morning, up to the beaver ponds. Not many birds up there at this time of year -- ducks have already headed elsewhere. But I did see this curious juvenile Western Spotted Towhee. It posed for several shots while it looked me over.

36221866023_5f083cee5b.jpgWestern Spotted Towhee Juvenile by Shelley Penner, on Flickr

• Like 10

JimB    1526

The Semipalmated Plover was my best shot today but the Marbled Godwit was my best subject. Taken along the shore of Lake Erie.

p2500554996-5.jpg

p2500554987-5.jpg

• Like 16

Bird Brain    4295
1 hour ago, slidinghills said:

Great Horned Owl - September 4, 2017

Great Horned Owl

Nice shot!! I've never seen one of that color. Beautiful bird!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

slidinghills    627
38 minutes ago, Bird Brain said:

Nice shot!! I've never seen one of that color. Beautiful bird!!

Thank you!

The color threw me off initially. At first I didn't think it was a Great Horned Owl but then realized it couldn't be anything else.

This was a pretty cool sighting for me. I was walking on a seldom used trail along a river when I spotted the owl napping on the log (the log was lying on the ground a couple of feet off the trail). I quietly sat down about 20 yards away from it and after about 10 minutes it finally opened its eyes and seemed a bit surprised to see me. I sat for another 20 minutes watching it while squirrels chattered nearby and Black-capped Chickadees flitted about. Eventually I decided to stand up and continue on my walk and the owl immediately flew in my direction and passed about 5 feet above my head before landing on a new perch further back into the forest.

NobleBunny    908
13 hours ago, slidinghills said:

Thank you!

The color threw me off initially. At first I didn't think it was a Great Horned Owl but then realized it couldn't be anything else.

This was a pretty cool sighting for me. I was walking on a seldom used trail along a river when I spotted the owl napping on the log (the log was lying on the ground a couple of feet off the trail). I quietly sat down about 20 yards away from it and after about 10 minutes it finally opened its eyes and seemed a bit surprised to see me. I sat for another 20 minutes watching it while squirrels chattered nearby and Black-capped Chickadees flitted about. Eventually I decided to stand up and continue on my walk and the owl immediately flew in my direction and passed about 5 feet above my head before landing on a new perch further back into the forest.

What an unforgettable experience...Congratulations!

• Thanks 1

NobleBunny    908

Anns's Hummingbird
36889853321_92d4b48db4_b.jpg
Anna's Hummingbird 9-4-17 Lincoln Neighborhood- Vancouver- Washington by Georgia G, on Flickr

The background is very smokey because there are huge wildfires in the Columbia Gorge that are starting to get close to where I live. The fires hopped the river and are now 20+ miles from my brother's house...getting scary. :wacko:

• Like 9

Shyanni    625

The wind has shifted to blow wildfire smoke in our direction again, which filtered the sun today without making it much cooler. We went to the beach but didn't see many birds, just the usual crows, gulls, and a GB Heron. I was delighted to find a couple of female Shovellers, which we normally don't see until much later in migration season.

36222572384_488902b1fc.jpgShoveller Female by Shelley Penner, on Flickr

• Like 7