Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
cany

Share your best photo of the day!

On 10/9/2017 at 11:04 AM, lxq777 said:

Trying to catch some salmon... can anyone help me identify the bird?

Agreed with Troutsqueezer, this is a Common Merganser. Cool shot! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, geoffclarke said:

Either this menacing Cooper's Hawk:

snip

or this adorable Pied-billed Grebe:

snip

Nice fall colors!

He didn't see me and I didn't see him and before I knew it, he was bigger than my frame, maybe 15 feet away. Skies are yellow from California fires. 

Blue Heron BIF 1

• Like 11

Yard Bird #49, La Mesa (San Diego), Ca 0830 hrs 10/12/17

(Cropped to remove excess...photo at about 100 yards away)

Northern Flicker

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Toofly said:

Yard Bird #49, La Mesa (San Diego), Ca 0830 hrs 10/12/17

(Cropped to remove excess...photo at about 100 yards away)

If I had a nickel for every bird photo I didn't crop I could buy a pack of gum. :)

Flicker... one of my favorite birds. 

• Like 1

Lots of bird activity today! Especially in one tree in particular. There were cardinals, a woodpecker, and quite a few little grey birds whose name I don't know. :rolleyes: While watching them I heard not one, but two hummingbirds in a tree behind me! :)It's not a superb photo or anything, but I'm really happy I got this little guy perched! 

Hummingbird.png

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Troutsqueezer said:

I had no idea they were so beautiful! I had always seen them from behind perched on a tree...from the front they are amazingly beautiful!

Helping me watch the birds this evening.  Low light and in the shadows at 250-300 ft,  so not the best image quality,  but my favorite picture of the week. 

large.FB_IMG_1507860640717.jpg.90fd67d74

• Like 16

9 minutes ago, misspt said:

Helping me watch the birds this evening.  Low light and in the shadows at 250-300 ft,  so not the best image quality,  but my favorite picture of the week. 

Ohhhh my goodness!!! :wub::wub: This would be my favorite picture too! They are so darling! Is this a full grown adult to the left do you think? It still looks kinda short. To me  anyways ! :D

• Like 1

It is a mother and her kitten (on the right). This is a fairly sizeable bobcat for our area, she was higher than my knee and I am 5'10".

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, misspt said:

Awesome photo of two awesome animals!!  Love it!  I can't get enough of those ears.  A couple Bobcat kittens visited our yard last month.large.jpeg?1506295347

• Like 12

27 minutes ago, misspt said:

large.FB_IMG_1507860640717.jpg.90fd67d74

2 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Awesome photo of two awesome animals!!  Love it!  I can't get enough of those ears.  A couple Bobcat kittens visited our yard last month.large.jpeg?1506295347

Y'all got beautiful shots...lots better shots than I, but I did get a shot yesterday, while out looking for migrants and Winter birds.  Unfortunately, my camera was set to shoot birds in flight, up where it's bright, but the bobcat surprised me, down in the dark ravine and I only had a couple of seconds :-/  It was carrying a field mouse / vole.

36936264884_299f2f758a_c.jpgBobcat10112017 by Michelle Summers, on Flickr

• Like 13

Another rarity surprised me this Friday the 13th morning. For reference, I am receiving today a 150 - 600mm lens,  but I keep seeing all of these rarities before it arrives!

large.FB_IMG_1507905039350.jpg.4ec31cc1b

• Like 10