Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Owen

Most pathetic bird that you're missing on your life list

You've never seen a Painted Bunting!!!!!  :o  :o

In my defence, they're out of range in MD and not as easy to find on their winter range in FL as they are in their breeding range up you way ;)

It feels weird saying something that modeled its camouflage after a rainbow is not easy to find!

• Like 2

Scarlet Tanager. I have looked for one all Spring. Nothing. Each time I see a red bird i think Scarlet tanger. Get closer and it is a cardinal.

• Like 1

I don't care that my list is over 100 birds over the "limit." :P By common, I'm going to stick with ABA Code 1 birds. Remember, I used to live in Missouri so I'm including common eastern birds.

American Black Duck 

Solitary Sandpiper

Surfbird

all three Phalaropes (been to many places where they should be easy)

Wood Thrush

Lapland Longspur 

Hooded Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

• Like 1

I don't care that my list is over 100 birds over the "limit." :P By common, I'm going to stick with ABA Code 1 birds. Remember, I used to live in Missouri so I'm including common eastern birds.

American Black Duck 

Solitary Sandpiper

Surfbird

Wood Thrush

Lapland Longspur 

Hooded Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

I have seen a bird that the legendary Jimbob hasn't. :D  Hooded Warbler. No room to brag though since you have 350 something life list

• Like 1

That's pretty incredible luck...I've been in FL for about three weeks since I got back from NV and seen one Red-tail, one Coop, and about 100 RSHA! I'll send some down your way ;)

Hey, Frank, guess what I found while I was fishing this morning! A Red-shouldered Hawk primary wing feather. They are taunting me.

• Like 1

And you are in Georgia meghann! Black-capped chickadee would be very rare in GA but you could probably nab a horned grebe down there Liam

Actually, Georgia doesn't even have a record for Black-capped Chickadee yet.

Concerning the Horned Grebe, I have every confidence that I will find one here soon enough, it's just a matter of time.

Watch the powerlines in FL, Tru! RSHA are the most common raptors in FL!

I never saw or heard any RSHA on either of my trips to Florida. Plenty of Swallow-tailed Kites, tons of Ospreys, Turkey Vulture was my first Florida bird, Black Vultures abounded, one Bald Eagle, but no RSHA. *shrugs*

I know you may laugh, but I still need Passenger Pigeon! Others say they have hundreds of thousands fly over their house, but not me!

Are you talking to others with a ouija board? I don't think I'll ever see a Passenger Pigeon, either.

Not to rub it in or anything, but I've seen two Passenger Pigeons in my life. They must have been chowing down, because they looked stuffed.

• Like 12

I'm starting to think red-breasted nuthatches don't actually exist, and that they are an actually some sort of inside joke I've never been let in on.

I thought that for a while too.

• Like 1

Eastern Screech-Owl

It's pathetic because one of our few neighbors and  one of my good friends have seen these things and they are not even birders.

I'm starting to think red-breasted nuthatches don't actually exist, and that they are an actually some sort of inside joke I've never been let in on.

That was the third bird on my life list!!!

• Like 1

I think my biggest problem is I rarely get to go to these places.  North Carolina has such great birding opportunities, yet my parents don't take me birding very often.  Virtually all my birding is done in or near my yard.

Can you go with an Audubon group?

American Black Duck 

Solitary Sandpiper

Surfbird

Wood Thrush

Lapland Longspur 

Hooded Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

I would think you should be able to pick up a Surfbird at the coast? I just found two up here what... a week ago?  Was with a small collection of Wandering Tattlers, Black and Ruddy Turnstones.

Believe it or not, I got the Black-throated Green Warbler at a local cemetary  where this out of range bird was for ages. Took me four trips to find it, but I finally did!

• Like 1

Good topic!

I won't count Eastern birds; only ones I have a chance of seeing in CA:

Black-billed Magpie -- saw it before I started keeping my life list (at Tahoe). Same with Bald Eagle.

Brown Creeper -- I want this one badly!

Golden-crowned Sparrow -- supposedly common wintering birds here, hoping to see it this winter. Same with Fox Sparrow.

GC and RC Kinglets -- Also want to see them this winter

CA Gull, Herring Gull, Common Loon, grebes, Pelagic and Brandt's Cormorants, rocky shore birds, you name it -- I need a trip to the coast!

Lots of ducks and sandpipers -- hoping to grow my list this winter

Marsh Wren, Wilson's and Orange Crowned Warblers, Olive-sided and Pac-slope Flycatchers

My suggestion for Marsh Wren is to learn its calls. That's how I had to do it. They just aren't seen very often, but heard quite often. Just got the bird myself this week... by ear.

I've really gotten help by going on local Audubon trips. Though I found Wilson's, Orange Crowned and Pac-Slope myself (verified here, thank heavens!). I looked for the Orange-crowned for AGES. It was a lot smaller than I anticipated and still haven't seen one single orange crown darn it all!

I would think you should be able to pick up a Surfbird at the coast? I just found two up here what... a week ago?  Was with a small collection of Wandering Tattlers, Black and Ruddy Turnstones.

Believe it or not, I got the Black-throated Green Warbler at a local cemetary  where this out of range bird was for ages. Took me four trips to find it, but I finally did!

I haven't made a specific trip for them yet. I know some pretty reliable spots for them here though, so I should be able to pick one up this winter.

• Like 1

You suck.  I'M ON TO YOUR GAME

LIFE LIST

1. Mourning Dove

2. House Sparrow

3. Red-breasted Nuthatch hahaha

Btw, White-breasted Nuthatch was number 87 for me.

I saw it in April on my first birding trip. First bird, First trip!

Hmm, lets see. Probably white- winged scoter. I have seen groups of hundreds of surf and black but haven't seen a white winged I did see a scoter flying that had white on the wing but being a birder that only wants birds that I definitely saw I didn't count it.

My life list is at 286 and I'm missing Western Sandpiper!!  I'll be looking for them this winter.  I thought I had it so I didn't pick through all the peeps I saw that much.

• Like 1