Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Owen

Most pathetic bird that you're missing on your life list

My suggestion for Marsh Wren is to learn its calls. That's how I had to do it. They just aren't seen very often, but heard quite often. Just got the bird myself this week... by ear.

I've really gotten help by going on local Audubon trips. Though I found Wilson's, Orange Crowned and Pac-Slope myself (verified here, thank heavens!). I looked for the Orange-crowned for AGES. It was a lot smaller than I anticipated and still haven't seen one single orange crown darn it all!

Thanks for the suggestion for the Marsh Wren, I'll do that. I also go on local Audubon trips, and we found an OC Warbler on one. Later that day, I went birding without the group in the same place and found a Wilson's Warbler. I'm pretty sure I've seen Pac-slope Flycatchers before, but never sure enough to put them on my life list.

I'm starting to think red-breasted nuthatches don't actually exist, and that they are an actually some sort of inside joke I've never been let in on.

I don't want to sound like I am rubbing it in :P ...much...but just for a joke, I thought I'd share a few photos of the red-breasted nuthatches we feed in the palms of our hands up here my neck of the woods.  :D

eRG0MfK.jpg

bZfSy0z.jpg

• Like 6

Not to rub it in or anything, but I've seen two Passenger Pigeons in my life. They must have been chowing down, because they looked stuffed.

Passenger Pigeon is extinct 

I don't want to sound like I am rubbing it in :P ...much...but just for a joke, I thought I'd share a few photos of the red-breasted nuthatches we feed in the palms of our hands up here my neck of the woods.  :D

eRG0MfK.jpg

bZfSy0z.jpg

Wait til the Sego Sago Kid sees that ;). That's so cool! Sometimes in Toronto, chickadees and W-B Nuthatches will eat from my hand :)

Impressive.  First you get some white-breasted nuthatches, which actually exist, to eat from your hands.  Then you fire up Photoshop, add some red tint to the breast and paint in a black eye stripe.  Did you take a graphic design class, or are you self taught?

Joke elevation: 2000ft

Your head's elevation: sea level

• Like 7

Aw man! (scratches Passenger Pigeon off life list.) Next you're going to tell me Carolina Parakeet is extinct! :)

Great Horned Owl. I have never seen any species of owl before

Saammmeeee, I really want to see an owl this fall.

• Like 1

I hope you both get to.  We count heard-only birds, so it was placed on our list this way, but later we got to see them.  Our best sighting was when it was perched on our Kestrel box last January.  Made great silhouette photos.  :)

Me too!!  I actually have seen some but not where I could get a pic or get a good look even.  Found out that they do evening walks once a month at the nature center here, and often see owls hunting.  I might not be able to get a pic, but I hope I'll get to see some more closely and learn about their behavior and such.  I'm always looking in the trees, hoping to see an owl just sitting there watching me :)

I just hit over 200 on my life list, and I still don't have a Purple Martin.  When I finally see one, I don't know whether I'll want to kiss it or wring its neck for evading me for so long.

• Like 2

Come with me to Swan Point Cemetery in Providence, and I'll show you where the screech owls roost.  They also have a Great Horned Owl there but I haven't seen it yet.

I am only going to consider birds that are expected in Illinois for this. I am currently sitting at 248 on my state list. Some of the birds that I have missed are embarrassing. Probably none more so than the common warblers that I am missing. Heck many of them I don't have actually breed in Illinois. They are here for several months and I can't find them for some reason.

The warblers that breed here that I should have seen but haven't are,

Cerulean

Prairie

Worm-eating

Prothonotary

Kentucky

Other warblers I should have but don't are,

Black-throated Blue

Mourning

and Connecticut. In fact I haven't seen any members of the former Oporornis family.  

Other honorable mentions include,

Black-billed Cuckoo

Blue-headed Vireo

Snow Bunting

Bobolink

and

Western Meadowlark.

I think next year I am going to concentrate on filling in some holes.

I have over 300 birds on my list, but I'm still missing some common ones - sparrows, shorebirds and some warblers. I'm sure I've seen them, I just don't always have the patience to sort through them and figure out what I have! I usually assume all sparrows are song sparrows. It's frustrating to track a bird down, stalking it for ages, and finally realizing it's just a song.

• Like 2

I am only going to consider birds that are expected in Illinois for this. I am currently sitting at 248 on my state list. Some of the birds that I have missed are embarrassing. Probably none more so than the common warblers that I am missing. Heck many of them I don't have actually breed in Illinois. They are here for several months and I can't find them for some reason.

The warblers that breed here that I should have seen but haven't are,

Cerulean

Prairie

Worm-eating

Prothonotary

Kentucky

Other warblers I should have but don't are,

Black-throated Blue

Mourning

and Connecticut. In fact I haven't seen any members of the former Oporornis family.  

Other honorable mentions include,

Black-billed Cuckoo

Blue-headed Vireo

Snow Bunting

Bobolink

and

Western Meadowlark.

I think next year I am going to concentrate on filling in some holes.

I've heard the Oporornis family is very difficult to see as they are very elusive. Especially the Connecticut Warbler (only bird I have seen from that family and miraculously it was when I was in VA).

But I would have to say...Reddish Egret (usually a couple that hang out here during the Winter in Southern California) and Tricolored Heron (which I looked for multiples time when I was in VA).

I've got lots because my list is only birds I photograph for positive ID... my list would probably be 100 birds longer if I trusted my ID'ing :) anyone wants a red shouldered hawk, come to my house.. I will show you some... although I have never seen one that I am sure of outside of my street though where i see them everyday.. but my pair is pretty much here all year and every day

• Like 1

I'm missing a Snowy Plover. That's not too bad, except they winter in my county and purportedly can be found almost every month of the year.

And echoing the start of this thread, I too am missing Winter Wren...

I'm missing a Snowy Plover. That's not too bad, except they winter in my county and purportedly can be found almost every month of the year.

And echoing the start of this thread, I too am missing Winter Wren...

What drives me crazy, with birds like that, is thinking...if it's that common, I've probably seen one and just didn't know it :(

• Like 1

When I was staring to bird it took a long time to get owls, only in the past year have i gotten a number of owls

Took me a while to get owls as well.  I started a life list Sept. 8th 2009.  I didn't get any owls 'til January 2011 when I got Great Horned Owl in Gulf Shores, Alabama.  In June 2011 I got both Barred Owl and Burrowing Owl in North Central Florida.  Then in January 2012 I got Eastern Screech-Owl in north central Florida.  They lived and bred on our property and we enjoyed seeing them (at times everyday) when they roosted.  I was able to get amazing views and photos.  In the spring of 2012 they had babies.  Apparently the earliest nesting record in FL.  I think they started about March 1st, almost a month early.  The babies would fall out of trees all the time so we'd always be helping them get back up in the tree.  It was amazing to get to hold the tiny and cute little screech-owls.  Also in March 2012 I saw a Barn Owl in NC Florida.  I have 5 owls on my life list.  I also had a possible sighting of a Saw-whet owl about a year ago in Gainesville.

• Like 1

It's moments like these where I think " How have I not seen an American Kestrel or Pine Warbler?" I'll probably find a Kestrel chowing down on a Pine Warbler tomorrow <_<!