Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Owen

Most pathetic bird that you're missing on your life list

It's moments like these where I think " How have I not seen an American Kestrel or Pine Warbler?" I'll probably find a Kestrel chowing down on a Pine Warbler tomorrow <_<!

The warbler wouldn't count... :lol: unless it was still squirming ;)

• Like 1

Which is why I wished the Ovenbird that ran into my window twitched a few times before it died :lol:

• Like 1

Which is why I wished the Ovenbird that ran into my window twitched a few times before it died :lol:

How morbid! :o  :rolleyes:

Ok, knocked off one of my most embarrassing today, Warbling Vireo. Got awesome looks from just a few feet away as he worked a small tree.

b9e75bfd-e834-42b1-b096-00ee4fab95fa_zps

• Like 1

American Oyster Catchers hate me so much. I can't seem to find one even at the perfect time of year and place and the place where everyone else has seen oyster catchers there. OYSTER CATCHERS HATE ME. :angry:  

I don't care that my list is over 100 birds over the "limit." :P By common, I'm going to stick with ABA Code 1 birds. Remember, I used to live in Missouri so I'm including common eastern birds.

American Black Duck 

Solitary Sandpiper

Surfbird

all three Phalaropes (been to many places where they should be easy)

Wood Thrush

Lapland Longspur 

Hooded Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler

Black-throated Green Warbler

I've gotten Solitary Sandpiper, Blackpoll Warbler and Surfbird since this post. :)

I still haven't seen Wilson's or Canada Warblers?? That's  10 migrations without them. :mellow:

#gotem

i am  missing Savannah Sparrow..... :mellow:

#wow

Lately, I've been pretty miffed at not seeing the American Avocets.  We were at the spot they were located and on the same day, but somehow, some ways we missed them!!! :angry::wacko::(    We were in all the right places this spring, too.

I'm still missing American Robin on my lifelist, which is pretty crazy considering how prevalent they are here!

They had a nest on my backdoor light. Two clutches two years ago, two last year, two this year!

I'm still missing American Robin on my lifelist, which is pretty crazy considering how prevalent they are here!

That one does seem pretty amazing :)  You've probably seen one and just don't know it.  They can look pretty different from one stage to another.

• Like 1

I knew there was no way you could be missing that. It's probably one of your 10 (:P) birds you've seen in your yard, right? 

That one does seem pretty amazing :)  You've probably seen one and just don't know it.  They can look pretty different from one stage to another.

So, we know that he's kidding now.  Don't feel too bad... :P

I knew there was no way you could be missing that. It's probably one of your 10 ( :P) birds you've seen in your yard, right? 

Hey now, I've seen at least 12 in the yard. The robins breed here too. Once, they were nesting next to our front door, so when my mom opened the front door, the robin spooked and went inside our house. She was pretty freaked out. The bird sat in the living room, almost as terrified as my mom, so my dad opens the front door again and it flies out.

• Like 2

Summer Tanager and Willow Flycatcher are two bad ones for me. Meant to go see a Summer this year but never got around to it. Willow I haven't bothered to learn the call but someone told me it sounds like a sneeze.

Also haven't seen a Grasshopper Sparrow even though there were a few pairs right nearby apparently. But a week or so ago I think I saw a late one at a popular sparrow spot, but wasn't sure enough.