Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
The Traveler

Favorite Bird

The Traveler    3095

What is your favourite bird and why?

I'll start:

King Vulture. They're just so cool in general. It seems that they have a really big body and their head is really cool. I think it'd be so cool to see one up close and personal, especially up close. I hope to see one in Costa Rica.

Owen    6671

Rough-legged Hawks, Long-eared Owls, and Black-billed Cuckoos!

(Apparently anything with a hyphon!)

• Like 1

-Easton-    1905

Of birds I have seen Pectoral Sandpiper. One of my first lifers and first record for my county. Plus they just look cool. Hoping to see another couple this year.

Of what I want to see. Probably Stellar's Jay.

Found pics of the Pectoral.

9369172155_a4715eab0b.jpg
Pectoral Sandpiper by Easton2000, on Flickr

9369303769_e76f85ca9f.jpg

9372085786_5983126024.jpg

Took these pics witha 3x point and shoot.

Edited by Easton2000

Fancy    4990

That I've seen: Snowy and barn owls.  :)

That I want to see: Northern saw-whet owl or painted bunting.

Edited by Fancy 101

The Traveler    3095

I forgot about Barn Owl. Probably my second favourite bird. Haven't seen that one yet. Other cool birds are Potoo, Frogmouth and Dollarbird.

Kudzu    284

My favorite bird has to be the Brown Pelican. They look so self-satisfied when they are flying and just droning along. They look like they could go on-and-on forever. And, how much fun would it be to swoop down and skim along, just above the surface of the water, riding on the ground-effect like they regularly do?! That, and eating fresh seafood every day, makes me think the pelican has a pretty good deal!

• Like 1

dklucius    778

younglewisswoodpecker.jpg

not many people can say they took a picture of a Lewis's woodpecker from 3 foot away thru my kitchen window and have watched fledglings each spring learnlewisswoodpecker.jpg

ng to eat from my feeders.

• Like 1

_Kim_    776

Harris's Sparrows, especially the immature.  They are so fun to watch with their curious expressions and manners. 

One got into our van, when one of those stupid sliding door buttons accidentally got pushed from inside the house.  (That is a whole nuther issue, but I dislike with a passion that motor companies don't let us open our own doors. We could disconnect the wire, but the door then weighs a ton being attached to the motor, so nearly impossible to open or close. )  Our silly little Harris's didn't figure he could fly right out the same way he got in, but did figure it out when I opened the trunk.

And though we've seen some rarer species after a chase or two, I enjoy this familiar and somewhat common species in the spring and fall. 

post-7849-50560_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Squawk31    4

My favorite birds are probably a cockatiel and a crow,i had a cockatiel as a pet once,his name was squawk and he was the main reason i got into birds in the first place,i also like cockatiels because of their crests and orange cheeks ;3. I like crows because their very clever and fun to watch,their feather coloring is also cool as well.

Pigeon    263

Swallow Tail Kite and Painted Bunting. Had many of them where I grew up north of New Orleans. The Painteds because of their vivid colors, and the Kites are just majestic.

Passerina    570

My favorite birds are: Wandering Albatross, Painted Bunting, and House Finch. The House Finch is what got me into birding when a pair nested in the shed.  :)

blackburnian    727

I may just be saying this because I just saw a bunch of them, but I've really grown pretty fond of White-winged Scoters.

Canvasback, Harlequin Duck, Snowy Owl, and Golden-winged Warblers could be considered as well.

Of birds I haven't seen: there's too many but maybe Ross's Goose

SecretaryBird    226

Definitely the Secretary Bird found in Africia. Its the bird I studied in college and got me into birding! I could have traveled to Africia to study it but for obvious reasons like distance and money it wasn't very possible. Genetically, its the last living relative of its kind and though its grouped in the "raptor" category its behavior is more stork like especially when it comes to raising its young!

Well I would have to say the American Yellow Warbler would be my favorite. See, my daddy was a bird brain too, and when he passed away he told me he would be around. Whenever I saw a little yellow bird flittin through the brush that would be him just checkin in.    There was a Yellow Warbler in the tree outside the window during his memorial service.  Sooo.. Yep, Yellow Warbler it is. post-77303-0-33000500-1391540870_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Sean C.    1651

Thread Revive!

My favorite Bird is The Bald Eagle. They're just so cool, and no matter how many times I see one, I always get thrilled when I see one. :)

Of Birds I don't have, You all know it......

FLORIDA SCRUB-JAY :rolleyes:

• Like 1