Whatbird Community Board

AllN4Cy    0

I LOVE iBird!  It works great on my Samsung Galaxy S4.  However, I recently received a message on my phone stating that I am running out of storage space.  In reviewing what is on my device storage, the largest file, by far, is the iBird_Pro folder with the database and associated files.  I have already moved the application to my external SD card, but the database does not move with it.  I manually moved the database from my internal storage to the SD card, but when I re-open iBird Pro it re-extracts the database back onto my internal storage.  How can I get the iBird Pro app to read the database from external storage?

Bigfoot    4325

I LOVE iBird!  It works great on my Samsung Galaxy S4.  However, I recently received a message on my phone stating that I am running out of storage space.  In reviewing what is on my device storage, the largest file, by far, is the iBird_Pro folder with the database and associated files.  I have already moved the application to my external SD card, but the database does not move with it.  I manually moved the database from my internal storage to the SD card, but when I re-open iBird Pro it re-extracts the database back onto my internal storage.  How can I get the iBird Pro app to read the database from external storage?

AllN4Cy

The ability to move and have the App function from the External SD Card is within the control of the Android Operating System.  This is not in the control of the Developer (iBird) but we wish it was in our control.  You may try contacting the Samsung People and ask if this is possible, but so far I do not know of users having success with this.

Bigfoot

beach    0

Is there any way to review this information again? The iBird catalog of almost a GB is taking up a lot of space on my Galaxy S5 (16GB memory). I have other apps (e.g. backcountry navigator) that have resolved this Android limitation and are able to design their software so that data are stored on the external SD card using the Android/data/ folder. In this case, the app needs to be designed to store the db in a com.ibird.db(or something) folder. 

noeldp    0

On Android it is up to the programmer to allow setting the location of the data. I have not written apps recently but takes very little code as I recall. The fact is many other Android apps allow setting the data location to use a removable sd chip. Please do this thanks.

Bigfoot    4325

We are upgrading the Android system as we speak, the release is expected by 1st quarter 2016.  This will be resolved with the upgrade

BF

goatburger    0

Has this issue been resolved? It does not seem so.... I have the latest iBird version on my Samsung Galaxy S5, yet the iBird database remains on the Android drive. I have not found a way to move the 700 MB or so to my external SD card.

Bigfoot    4325

The "obb" file is to remain on the internal memory, the other files may be moved to the SD Card but the App will probably do this for you.

BF

pmstirling    0

I'm running iBird Pro v 6.1.299 on my Samsung SG4, 16GB internal storage plus a 16GB sd card. Although the app FAQ says it takes up about 600MB, I have more than double that amount in use! In the internal memory, there's a directory iBird_Pro that is 668.78MB, plus the directory Android/obb/com.whatbird.pro that is 1.25GB. So iBird Pro is using close to 2GB on my phone, which seems excessive to say the least.

Is this correct, or do I have a bad installation - can I delete any of these files?

I'd also like to add yet another plea for iBird Pro to support SD Card storage for the database, there's no reason to require it to be on internal storage.

Patrick

Bigfoot    4325

I'm running iBird Pro v 6.1.299 on my Samsung SG4, 16GB internal storage plus a 16GB sd card. Although the app FAQ says it takes up about 600MB, I have more than double that amount in use! In the internal memory, there's a directory iBird_Pro that is 668.78MB, plus the directory Android/obb/com.whatbird.pro that is 1.25GB. So iBird Pro is using close to 2GB on my phone, which seems excessive to say the least.

Is this correct, or do I have a bad installation - can I delete any of these files?

I'd also like to add yet another plea for iBird Pro to support SD Card storage for the database, there's no reason to require it to be on internal storage.

Patrick

The iBird Pro for Android needs for the database (obb) be installed on the internal memory.  All other files should be moved to the SD Card if there is one available.  Normally the installation process does this for you, but sometimes the install does not complete everything as is programmed.

The difference is size is because we have made much improvements in the App from the last time that the FAQ was updated, we are in process of updating the FAQ sheet at this time.

Bigfoot

Whatbird Moderator

pmstirling    0

Now (late May 2017) I have iBird Pro v7.1.555 and am still having problems with the database download and storage.

It keeps forgetting that I've downloaded the database, and offers to download it again. If I kill and restart the app, that seems to fix it, until the next time.

Even though I downloaded the DB to the SD card, it still takes up a lot of space on the internal storage. Here's what I have:

- /extSdCard/Android/data/com.whatbird.pro/files/main.451.com.whatbird.pro.obb
   This is 1.78GB, presumably the database

- /storage/emulated/0/iBird_Pro/perceviabinaries/misc
  This is 480MB, 8k+ smallish files
   There are several other directories, all much smaller, but in total the app is using about 669MB on the internal storage!

So it looks like even though I downloaded the database to external storage, it's still using significant internal storage. Is this by design or is there something I can do to move more of the DB to external storage?

cheers
patrick

Bigfoot    4325

Patrick

You should only need to have the database downloaded once, the actual App is small so you may stop it where ever you please.  There is a new version of the App 7.2.593, please download as the problem of loosing track of a downloaded database is now resolved.  You may download the database to either your internal memory or your SD Card. If your App looses the database again, you may go to "More" from the Navigation Menu>Mount Downloaded Database.  This will locate your database and point your App to the database, which was there but the App lost track of it.

Bigfoot