Whatbird Community Board
Sign in to follow this  
Muskokan in Mexico

adding files to ibird

I have purchased ibird for ipod and am enjoying it very much. I do much of my birding in Mexico. i purchased ibird south but it does not include some of the birds in Howell and Web. i had hoped to avoid carrying my paper guide books by using ibird.

What kind of files would I need to create if i scan my plates from Howell? Is there a way to create a file on an ipod containing these scanned photos?

Many of my friends are interested in purchasing ibird for their ipads but were concerned when we found we could not find all the Mexican endemics in it.

I would appreciate any assistance to enable me to create a full reference resource for Mexican endemics, since i doubt Howell will be creating an app.

Bigfoot    4325

Muskokan

Your question has me thinking of how to do this.  And there is no way that I can think of that will do this perfectly.

BUT, in iBird you can go to Photo Center and download photos for your Mexican Endemic Species.  There is no way to assign these but you can access them by tapping the photo.

AND/OR you can purchase iBird Journal, that is designed to record birds on a Bird Outing, but it can assign a bird that is not in the database.  You can enter a sighting of your Mexican Cacique, and listing in your trip list (Endemics) and assign a photo to this sighting from your own database of photos, or copies of photos.  Remember that there are copyright issues of copies.

This is not a perfect solution but it is a way to use your iPad and have the data available for in field viewing.

Bigfoot

goofy166    62

I have purchased ibird for ipod and am enjoying it very much. I do much of my birding in Mexico. i purchased ibird south but it does not include some of the birds in Howell and Web. i had hoped to avoid carrying my paper guide books by using ibird.

What kind of files would I need to create if i scan my plates from Howell? Is there a way to create a file on an ipod containing these scanned photos?

Many of my friends are interested in purchasing ibird for their ipads but were concerned when we found we could not find all the Mexican endemics in it.

I would appreciate any assistance to enable me to create a full reference resource for Mexican endemics, since i doubt Howell will be creating an app.

You raise an interesting idea. As BigToe says you can  use My Photos to import your own photos to the species pages. I am thinking what if we create a My Species feature where you can import your own field guide quality information. In other words we could give you a form that you fill out that represents the various data fields in iBird. You enter what you know, grab an illustration and press a Submit button and now you have a new species page for your bird in Mexico.

Another idea, which for us as a business is more attractive, is to offer a low cost ($12 per year) subscription service which sends out new species pages on a regular bases that expands the species account using our quality content AND migrates the content into our search engine/

Thoughts?

Mitch

I will have to think about these possibilities. I think it would be too labour intensive to do a page/form for each bird. Also it would not solve the problem for my friends who I know would not take the time/effort since they are beginner birders.

I do have ibird journal, although i have not yet become familiar with it. i was stymied by the fact that the time was always the time I was entering data versus the time i saw the bird. i have read in the forum here that it does not matter re ebird so i will give it a try again.

I do have photos of some of the endemics that i could share with my friends if they also purchased the journal i guess.

I will have to investigate how to add to an ipod  outside of an app i guess. I did meet someone who had the info from the Howell book scanned but that likely was an iphone which could likely deal with such files.

Thank you for answering my question so promptly. Maybe there will be a revised ibird south and all of this will be redundant. I hope so!