Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Sign in to follow this  
fishing72

upgrading tripod head

I’m looking to upgrade my tripod head and was wondering what you guys would recommend.

I’m shooting a Nikon D70 and a sigma 150-500mm.

My old head was a sunpak pistol grip rated for 8lbs.

I have been looking online at the gimbal heads. Is the Wimberley worth the $600?

I have been looking online at the gimbal heads. Is the Wimberley worth the $600?

Ummm, that would be a big NO to this amatuer, but some professionals might think otherwise. I believe there's suggestions in one of the other recent threads for cheap alternatives to the Wimberley gimbal head. http://www.whatbird.com/forum/index.php?/topic/129908-tripod-monopod-to-use-with-canon-400-mm/

I myself am in the market for a new gimbal head. My Jobu gimbal head which was purchased to support my Olympus gear, is too small for my current camera, Canon 7D with battery grip, the battery grip interferes with getting the upper angles. While the head has been useful, watching this video of the Beike BK-45 shows where my gimbal head, and others, seem to be lacking in more ways than just size. Thanks for the recommendation, Joejr14, I'll be getting one.  :)

• Like 1

thank you. after watching the video and reading reviews online i have decided to give the Beike BK-45 a try.

now its time to figure out which nikon body to upgrade to.

Agree.  Beike BK-45 all the way.  $100 shipped. 

I got my Beike BK-45 Gimbal head this morning and I'm quite pleased with it. The fluid motion with the constant dampening make it much nicer to use than my old Jobu gimbal head, not to mention it's size is better suited for my current gear. The constant dampening makes me wonder if I have the camera perfectly balanced or not, though. With the Jobu head I would loosen off the dampening knob and swing the camera making balance adjustments until it returned to perfect centre and then tighten the dampening knob to my desired tension, which would occasionally need retightening, especially with the flash attached. With the Beike head, there is no swinging motion to use for finding the centre of gravity, but the camera seems to stay in place no matter how the weight is balanced. Even with the flash and teleconverter attached to the camera, where I know I am adding more weight to the camera side of centre, the gimbal head holds the camera exactly where I point it. While I would like to have the camera perfectly balanced to the true centre of gravity, I don't see how I can determine that position, or if it's really necessary with this particular head. Any thoughts on how to find the balancing point on a gimbal head that doesn't change position according to weight distribution?  Joejr14?

I have a Beike BK-45.... I recommend it as well. I can't see paying 600 dollars for a piece of equipment that won't yield me better results.

I got my Beike BK-45 Gimbal head this morning and I'm quite pleased with it. The fluid motion with the constant dampening make it much nicer to use than my old Jobu gimbal head, not to mention it's size is better suited for my current gear. The constant dampening makes me wonder if I have the camera perfectly balanced or not, though. With the Jobu head I would loosen off the dampening knob and swing the camera making balance adjustments until it returned to perfect centre and then tighten the dampening knob to my desired tension, which would occasionally need retightening, especially with the flash attached. With the Beike head, there is no swinging motion to use for finding the centre of gravity, but the camera seems to stay in place no matter how the weight is balanced. Even with the flash and teleconverter attached to the camera, where I know I am adding more weight to the camera side of centre, the gimbal head holds the camera exactly where I point it. While I would like to have the camera perfectly balanced to the true centre of gravity, I don't see how I can determine that position, or if it's really necessary with this particular head. Any thoughts on how to find the balancing point on a gimbal head that doesn't change position according to weight distribution?  Joejr14?

I have no experience with anything other than the Beike, but since it's acting as a lever I don't think there's anyway to maintain perfect center gravity without changing the position of the lens on the head.

Assuming you have a fairly long acra-swiss plate on your camera, I'd just find the center point and mark the plate where it needs to be -- and do so for extra attachments like flash or battery pack. 

The only way to balance the rig on the gimbal head would be to either counter balance weight, or change the lever point by moving the rig up or back on the head.

Hopefully that made sense?

Btw I have no doubts that the Wimberly gimbal head IS better than the Beike, but is it worth an extra $500?  Doubt that very much. 

I have no experience with anything other than the Beike, but since it's acting as a lever I don't think there's anyway to maintain perfect center gravity without changing the position of the lens on the head.

Assuming you have a fairly long acra-swiss plate on your camera, I'd just find the center point and mark the plate where it needs to be -- and do so for extra attachments like flash or battery pack. 

The only way to balance the rig on the gimbal head would be to either counter balance weight, or change the lever point by moving the rig up or back on the head.

Hopefully that made sense?

Thanks, Joejr14. I wasn't really thinking yesterday when I asked about the balance issue. I ended up using the Jobu head to find the camera's balancing point and then marked my 4 1/2 inch arca-swiss plate accordingly, something I should have done a long time ago. Since the balancing point doesn't change just because it's sitting on a different platform, the markings can now be applied to any arca-swiss style mount,  a fact that I totally overlooked yesterday. Sorry for wasting your time with another one of my brain farts but thanks all the same.

I'm not quite as impressed with the Beike BK-45 as I was in the beginning. While the action of the head is great, there was a major flaw with the main stem which caused the whole unit to wobble side to side unless the horizontal panning knob was locked tight. As soon as I loosened the knob to allow movement, the whole head wobbled a good 1/4 inch side to side. Not wanting to ship it back to Hong Kong, I decided to see if I could tighten the stem up myself. By popping the cap off the base's top, I could access the adjustment bolt and tighten up the main stem fairly easy. I knew that Quality Control issues might arise but I was hoping I wouldn't have to issue a buyer beware warning, but unfortunately that's not the case. Luckily my problem was an easy fix but I didn't know that going into it. I knew that any attempt to fix it myself meant that I would never be able to return it if my fix didn't work, so it was a gamble on my part that luckily paid off with just a few scratches.

I am still happy with my purchase but feel obligated to say, Buyer beware, gamble at your own risk.

If you purchase the Beike, go through Cowboy Studio. You have to pay a bit more (I paid $100), but you can return it if it's defective. 

There are numerous tripods available for Nikon d70. At last, i recommend you to check Nikon d70 Manual for d70 compatible tripods and its featured. If needed, you may also contact with Nikon experts for help. Good Luck. :)