Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
striper192001

Birds not eating my Nyger/thistle seed

Currently my feeding is pretty simple.  I have a suet feeder that is getting hammered by woodpeckers.  I have a feeder full of grey striped sunflower seed that has a lot of activity.  Right next to it I have a Droll Yankee tube type feeder designed for thistle seed.  Couple years ago, seed got moisture and got moldy.  I disassembled the whole feeder, cleaned it out and let it dry.  Bought fresh seed this fall and filled it but no birds are using/feeding from it.  I just don't understand it ??

Thanks for any help !

Dear striper,

This is just a guess since you make no mention of your location but in my neck of the woods, Central Pennsylvania, the finches have moved on to warmer climates.  Around April they will start coming back but until then I see no need to put out nyger seed.  I pretty much stick to suet and sunflower seeds now along with a mix of generic "bird food" that has cracked corn, sunflower seeds, and those little round seeds that I don't know the name of?  I get plenty of woodpeckers at the suet and lots of sparrows, nuthatches, cardinals, titmice and a few stragglers at the other feeders.

I really need to learn more about ID'ing the birds in my yard so I joined this board.  Even if I never get good at ID'ing birds I'll always enjoy watching them.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Not knowing where you are I can't speculate on why the finches aren't all over your thistle.  One thing I read last year when I couldn't figure out why they weren't eating from my thistle sock which had always been so popular was that there may be something about the quality of the seed.  Apparently when they bite it open there should be oil inside.  I haven't found any oil in any of my thistle seed.  I am waiting for new seed to appear in the markets and try again this year.  I hope someone answers who is more familiar with this problem.  Seems like I put out safflower seed on a platform feeder last year and that's what they loved, and it was all they'd eat.  That's my experience with this.

I have Goldfinches most of the winter, but I believe thistle goes stale quickly. If I buy from a place that doesn't sell a lot, or if I buy a lot, the birds don't eat it. I have throw the thistle out and buy fresh from a place that sells a lot.

• Like 1

Funny you mention this. I've noticed that when we buy thistle from the big W store, the birds love it. When we buy from our local bird store, they don't touch it. I prefer to buy local, but I don't want to keep throwing away seed.

I find their attraction to it comes and goes. I'm not sure if its a freshness issue like stated above, or what. We have finches year round here though.

I am kind of doubting freshness is an issue, as well.  I had Nyjer from last spring that was kept in the basement and used it to fill the double sock feeder as it had always been popular in the winter.  Hardly a taker this year.  At first I thought it was all the Maximilian Sunflowers I planted, but then the finches came full force after a time and ignored the feeder.

We have finches all year.  I bought a small bag to see if maybe mine wasn't fresh enough for the birds, but still hardly a taker.  The Goldfinches are preferring Black Oil Sunflower and the WBU Supreme cylinder this year.  I guess I'll just put the Nyjer all out for the doves when they return.  They aren't picky.

When I lived in Pennsylvania last year, the goldfinches would empty my upside down thistle feeder in less than two weeks.  Now that I have moved back down to Alabama, the goldfinches have ignored my thistle feeder and like to eat sunflower seeds with the other birds.  Its almost as if all of them have decided that thistle is not as good to eat as it used to be?  I thought it was just a dirty feeder or old seed so it is interesting that others have seen them not going for thistle anymore.  Don't have a good explanation but would like to hear one.

Last year, I had 2 tube feeders and a sock feeder full of thistle and couldn't keep them full. This year I have one tube feeder and one sock and I'm not filling them often. However, I am feeding a HUGE amount of plain ole' white millet and sunflower hearts. The goldfinches are eating the sunflower, and the chippers are eating the millet. The siskins are eating both. I guess it's just the season and their mood. Try some white millet if they aren't eating the thistle.

When I lived in Pennsylvania last year, the goldfinches would empty my upside down thistle feeder in less than two weeks.  Now that I have moved back down to Alabama, the goldfinches have ignored my thistle feeder and like to eat sunflower seeds with the other birds.  Its almost as if all of them have decided that thistle is not as good to eat as it used to be?  I thought it was just a dirty feeder or old seed so it is interesting that others have seen them not going for thistle anymore.  Don't have a good explanation but would like to hear one.

Didn't realize till just now, that you are right up the road from me, so to speak. As noted above, we are seeing the same thing.

Thanks for the replies.......I am in NW Vermont so maybe not here.  Have seen a couple chick a dees eat some but not much.  I may be more critical of where I buy in the future but not really worried about it......

the suet is getting hammered in this cold however.........gonna stock up !

Thanks for the replies.......I am in NW Vermont so maybe not here.  Have seen a couple chick a dees eat some but not much.  I may be more critical of where I buy in the future but not really worried about it......

the suet is getting hammered in this cold however.........gonna stock up !

I'm sorry... I was looking at a post from some one that lives in Alabama.... certainly you aren't close by. :) 

I took this pic yesterday, and as you can see, I have Pine Siskins.  There are a couple more feeders off to the left you can't see, that are full of them as well.  What you also can't see are the three nyjer feeders off to the right that have absolutely no one on them.  I'm not even sure why I bother to put it out, it gets very little use.

ZXBNv6Q.jpg

I wasn't getting any finches this year, so I threw out the thistle seed, bought a fresh bag, refilled the feeder and moved it. To make sure the finches saw the feeder, I tied a long yellow ribbon around the top of the feeder- this was recommended by the man at the bird feed store- and now I have finches! I refill the feeders every other day. I don't know if it was the seed or the ribbon, but the ribbon trick can't hurt if you want to give it a try!

• Like 2

I'm going to try putting a new feeder out with some fresh thistle in it in March.  I may try putting the yellow ribbon on it.... That sounds like an interesting idea....

Roll Tide Woodswoman!

I thought that I would throw in this observation.  My tube feeder was seemingly ignored for weeks by the finches.  When I went to change out the niger (thistle), I turned the tube upside down and then realized that rain water had got into the inside of the tube and the thistle/niger was caked-solid.  After a thorough cleaning and a refill, it was half empty, every day.  lesson learned: check to insure that the seed moves freely in the tube by turning it upside down (holding the cap on) and inspecting the movement of the seed- should move freely.

As far as the seed socks go, since that are out in the open, I have to squeeze mine and if they are getting cakey and feel solid (especially in the bottom of the sock), I'll remove the old, wash and dry out the sock and refill...problems solved.

I must have no less than thirty female Am Goldfinches and probably that many male and female house finches here all winter.  They're straining my retirement budget but, currently, I'm dealing with it.

They also LOVE B Oil Sunflower seeds, especially if I get the "meaties" (they're about 70% shelled.

Good luck with the feeders.  They do clog up.

• Like 1

Yah, I had to stop using the standard plastic tube feeders cause I couldn't keep them from turning nasty.  So far the wire mesh tube feeder seems to be less prone to it, though it'll get a bit nasty at the bottom on occasion.

22 hours ago, Birdhound said:

Has anyone thought about interviewing them, perhaps taking a random poll and asking them why they will or won't eat thistle seed?

Hi and welcome to WhatBird!  I think someone put up a poll on this topic, but there wasn't a peep... Maybe the birds could tweet their opinions?

I realize you were joking, but the conversation you responded to was from almost 3 years ago. But now that you're here look around at the more current conversations!

There was a conversation about this last year where the conclusion was that when nyjer is not fresh that it dries out and loses the oil that is inside the seed.  When this happens, the birds will not eat it since the nourishment value is greatly reduced.  Several people on here stated that they always buy their nyjer from a place that sells a lot of it to try to make sure that what they are buying is as fresh as possible.  I hope this helps.  I'll try to repost that thread.