Whatbird Community Board
Bigfoot

iBird Hawaii Discussions

I've been looking forward to the Hawaiian version of iBird  since I discussed this a few years ago with Mitch at MacWorld in SF.  And, I have a few questions.

Does the new iBird Hawaii include the following?

The ability to search by individual islands.

The ability to search by either endemic, non-endemic, or both.

Are there sounds for all of the birds? 

IBird Pro includes some birds that do not appear to be in the Hawaiian Islands.  Have these been corrected/eliminated for the iBird Hawaii app?

Thank you.

I've been looking forward to the Hawaiian version of iBird  since I discussed this a few years ago with Mitch at MacWorld in SF.  And, I have a few questions.

Does the new iBird Hawaii include the following?

The ability to search by individual islands.

The ability to search by either endemic, non-endemic, or both.

Are there sounds for all of the birds? 

IBird Pro includes some birds that do not appear to be in the Hawaiian Islands.  Have these been corrected/eliminated for the iBird Hawaii app?

Thank you.

Search by Individual Islands..........Yes... Select  Location Common for each Island.

Search by Endemic No, but you can create a list of birds in Favorites called Endemics and Display that list.

Sounds of all the birds.   No, I counted about 21 birds without sounds.

Hawaiian birds in Pro, not in Hawaii, corrected?  I do not know what birds you refer or where you get your reports of birds in the islands but I think the answer in No.   I believe there are birds that have not been seen in a while, but that does not mean that they are not there.

Bigfoot

Thanks for the quick reply, Bigfoot.  My three main concerns were answered with either a yes or a work-around, so I'm happy.  I'll buy the app as soon as I finish this and add it to my collection of iBird products I love (I've owned the first almost from the beginning).

I guess that I'm sort of in error on the Hawaiian birds in Pro.  I checked a couple of birds that I thought shouldn't have been included but they show up in one of the lists I checked today as "Rare/Accidental".  Unless you have another way, I suppose that I would have to create another list for Favorites that would not include them as the odds of seeing them are pretty low. 

I'll  be on Oahu in May, and I'm anxious to give it a try.

So, thanks for the information and I'm happy that this version of the app is finally out into the world!

Thanks for the quick reply, Bigfoot.  My three main concerns were answered with either a yes or a work-around, so I'm happy.  I'll buy the app as soon as I finish this and add it to my collection of iBird products I love (I've owned the first almost from the beginning).

I guess that I'm sort of in error on the Hawaiian birds in Pro.  I checked a couple of birds that I thought shouldn't have been included but they show up in one of the lists I checked today as "Rare/Accidental".  Unless you have another way, I suppose that I would have to create another list for Favorites that would not include them as the odds of seeing them are pretty low. 

I'll  be on Oahu in May, and I'm anxious to give it a try.

So, thanks for the information and I'm happy that this version of the app is finally out into the world!

Thank you for your comments, I too an anxious to trip to Hawaii to see the new to me birds, It has beet too long since I have been there, back in the 80's... too long.

Bigfoot

If you are on the west coast the airfare isn't too bad.  If you are on the east coast, airfare can be a bit pricey.

And, if you are planning on going, drop me an email and I can make a recommendation on good island reference books with places to stay and some great bird locations.

If you are on the west coast the airfare isn't too bad.  If you are on the east coast, airfare can be a bit pricey.

And, if you are planning on going, drop me an email and I can make a recommendation on good island reference books with places to stay and some great bird locations.

Thanks, I will do that.

Bigfoot