Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
**VB**

Ebird Unusual Checklists/Hotspots

I believe he just put his whole life list in one list, which is one way of putting it on eBird, but at least hide it from the output for pete's sake!

He saw BTGO in Florida?

He probably just entered everything offered on the species list.

No, he probably lives in Florida, but put his whole life list in as one checklist. He didn't see them all in Florida.

Or, we're checking off House Finch in Florida, and he's seeing the same bird and going "Score! Hoary Redpoll!" :D

There's a small beach park about 30 minutes from here, called Venetian Shores, that wouldn't look very significant at a first glance. It has a small gravelly beach, some playgrounds a large parking lot, some ball fields and a seasonal eatery. It just looks like the place where you'd find a big flock of House Sparrows, Starlings and Pigeons, with maybe a few Mourning Doves.

Guess again:

http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspot/L4009428

The checklist from November 14, 2015 is very interesting.

Wow! 67 species! :P

Half of them are either somewhat common species in peculiar places (like Gannets diving into the Great South Bay) or extreme rarities (A SANDHILL CRANE!!!).

I'm going there on Thanksgiving to see what rarity will cross paths with me.

You understand I was kidding, right? I would say at least 100 is a good hotspot, not saying that this one isn't.

Sandhill Cranes actually aren't too rare in the Northeast. They are regular migrants and breed very locally.

But they're rare on Long Island. It's sorta like Pileated Woodpeckers, common on the mainland but an extreme rarity on Long Island.

Last 10 years of reports show only a few:

post-95418-0-74311700-1448329919_thumb.jpeg

The red point is Venetian Shores

Levee Pond Park in Fife, WA, is a tiny little pond with a walking path around it, as well as a little bit of overgrown grass. Despite the small size, it's racked up 103 species so far (with 84 seen by me. ^^) It's a surprisingly good place for shorebirds in fall when the water level drops and has seen rarities (yes, rarities) such as Short-billed Dowitcher, Redhead, Eastern Kingbird, and some more regular, but still scarce, species.

http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspot/L2687167?yr=all&m=&rank=mrec

Sadly, variety has dropped over the last few months, likely due to cutting back blackberry bushes and other plant life. Waterfowl aren't as abundant as last year either...

• Like 1

It was literally a huge dump, one of the largest in the world. It was heavily polluted, but now it's a wildlife reserve.

Oh ok.