Whatbird Community Board

Ok. Find the telephone pole in the background (quite short). Follow it directly down until you see a duck with a black back.

Is it this one?

tufted.jpg

As VB said, that's not him. You need to look a bit further back… 

• Like 1

I linked my flickr account and searched, only to find I've never had a photo explored.  I feel like such a loser.  :(

I bow before your brilliance.

Is this him?

tufted.jpg

Indeed! :)

Oh, and here's a more revealing photo:

16755860621_bdfb1a1c5f_b.jpgTufted Duck! by Bridget Spencer, on Flickr

I linked my flickr account and searched, only to find I've never had a photo explored.  I feel like such a loser.  :(

Honestly, don't feel bad at all. As we've demonstrated some of the shots that make explore aren't great at all. :D For those that are, it's just an ego-boost for those people. ;) I'm not saying that it's that way for all people, obviously. Some photos truly deserve it. But, in my opinion, it is a little over-rated. 

• Like 5

I have often looked at some explored shots on Flickr and tried to figure out "why", so I don't really feel bad.  Most of them are incredible though.  But I saw one yesterday, a guy and a girl in front of a mirror taking a selfie.  I thought "what? millions of people do that every day with a cell phone".  It wasn't really a fantastic photo either.  Except she was using a real camera instead of a phone.

It would be cool to see one explored, but I'm thinking I'd be thinking "wait a minute, I've taken much better photos than that one. Why that one?"  lol

• Like 1

Meh, I haven't been explored either. I think you need a lot of followers for that to happen. It's not the quality of your photos (and as people have said, the quality of those that get explored is sometimes not good at all anyway)

It would be cool to see one explored, but I'm thinking I'd be thinking "wait a minute, I've taken much better photos than that one. Why that one?"  lol

Haha, I felt that way when my Kentucky Warbler got explored. I felt I have much better photos than that, which are more explore worthy.

Yeah, it's kind of unpredictable. I put up two shots of Cedar Waxwings, one of which might be the photo I am most proud of. The other more "meh" photo is the one that got explored. And that's also one that's been dropped. There's some rubric they use to determine what to include in Explore that's a mystery and certainly overlooks the millions of awesome shots on flickr. Most of my explored photos are of cute squirrels or birds with lots of bokeh in the background. Maybe "cute" and "bokeh" are tags they look for.

This is starting to become a joke.  I took a ton of nice pictures recently, so I thought at least one would get explored.  Yes, that did happen, but I swear it was one of the worst photos that I put on Flickr.

Does anyone else feel sort of embarrassed when a bad photo is explored?

This is starting to become a joke.  I took a ton of nice pictures recently, so I thought at least one would get explored.  Yes, that did happen, but I swear it was one of the worst photos that I put on Flickr.

Does anyone else feel sort of embarrassed when a bad photo is explored?

Yeah... or I get all sort of weirded out that people give more views and likes to stuff that I consider to be worse than others. My snake pictures tend to fall short of likes/views than the bird ones... for obvious reasons. But, the Eurasian Collared-Dove photo of mine that got explored, I don't understand. I have taken far better photos and that's not one I'd like to represent my work.

I had my 1st photo "explored" today.  It wasn't a bird, just a shot I took of sunrise yesterday morning.  It's a decent shot, and the best of the sunrise shots I took yesterday.  But I've taken (IMHO) much better photos of the sunrise before.  I guess there isn't any logical reason, for some reason it just got noticed by whoever picks the explores du jour. 

19330625083_f1b66c4f29_k.jpgSunrise and Sea Oats by carl, on Flickr

LOL, I almost posted it in the "photobombs" thread last night after I noticed the dragonfly that made a cameo appearance.

• Like 3