Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.

I saw how many comments this was getting before I went to bed and wondered if it was going to get explored. Woke up to find it was! That was a long dry spell of no explored shots on my end.

20022981599_339ecf8391_c.jpg

• Like 3

I saw how many comments this was getting before I went to bed and wondered if it was going to get explored. Woke up to find it was! That was a long dry spell of no explored shots on my end.

Congratulations!!

Congrats!  The boken on this one is awesome.  Which species is that?  It's really pretty.

I also had a dry spell for a while, but recently got a few more explored, including a video.  Now I'm up to 16 explored.  Here are the more recent additions.  The second Gray Thrasher is a video.

20315000289_b443c9641e_c.jpg

Greater Sage-Grouse by mattag2002, on Flickr

19650836594_94c0309cf9_c.jpg

Gray Thrasher by mattag2002, on Flickr

20247242876_dbc1af6c69_c.jpg

Gray Thrasher by mattag2002, on Flickr

19994225162_29923a5060_c.jpg

Pin-tailed Whydah by mattag2002, on Flickr

18580439565_3761b55326_c.jpg

American Dipper nestlings by mattag2002, on Flickr

• Like 2

I've had 7 photos explored, including this one from two days ago:

20338329279_f9755890e1_c.jpgLittle Blue Heron by Owen Strickland, on Flickr

Some others...

16764056417_851c544c07_c.jpgNorthern Saw-whet Owl by Owen Strickland, on Flickr

19388326692_dbc6d3b113_c.jpgCedar Waxwing by Owen Strickland, on Flickr

16592749470_4f72048858_c.jpgDowny Woodpecker by Owen Strickland, on Flickr

19097688036_03d7e9ef5d_c.jpgWarbling Vireo by Owen Strickland, on Flickr

16884975989_e1f965e5cc_c.jpgHorned Grebe by Owen Strickland, on Flickr

• Like 2

I don't understand why I never get explored.  :mellow:

Not to be arrogant but I think I take some decent shots sometimes!

I don't understand why I never get explored.  :mellow:

Not to be arrogant but I think I take some decent shots sometimes!

A lot of it has to do with how many people favorite/comment on your shots and whether or not they're your followers or not, if I understood an article I read about it correctly. If multiple people who don't follow you favorite your shot or comment on it you're more likely to get explored. It's pretty easy to get explored if you get almost no favorites/comments and then all the sudden you get a few favorites or a few comments.

Also, posting your photos in groups is very helpful. It brings people to your photostream who don't follow you yet.

• Like 1

A lot of it has to do with how many people favorite/comment on your shots and whether or not they're your followers or not, if I understood an article I read about it correctly. If multiple people who don't follow you favorite your shot or comment on it you're more likely to get explored. It's pretty easy to get explored if you get almost no favorites/comments and then all the sudden you get a few favorites or a few comments.

Also, posting your photos in groups is very helpful. It brings people to your photostream who don't follow you yet.

I post my best photos in 20+ groups. :D

Yeah, we can probably organize an explore for you by having all the Whatbird's Young Birders favorite and comment on your photo at once. :D:P

I post my best photos in 20+ groups. :D

Something mentioned in the article I read (again, if I'm remembering right) was that group spamming doesn't actually help. I just meant posting your photos in groups in general grabs people's attention, not necessarily increasing your odds at explore directly. 

I saw a photo on explore last night that I faved and was surprised that it only had 12 faves and 7 comments after I added mine. It was a beautiful shot, but with that few faves and comments, I was wondering how it made explore?

Something mentioned in the article I read (again, if I'm remembering right) was that group spamming doesn't actually help. I just meant posting your photos in groups in general grabs people's attention, not necessarily increasing your odds at explore directly. 

Group spamming, I like that! 

I still can't figure out what it takes to get explored.  Often some of my photos might only have a couple comments and 8-10 faves before getting explored, which is about the norm for most of my photos.  Those comments and faves are generally from the same set of people, since I don't "group spam".  Usually a photo gets explored within 24 hours of uploading it, but recently one got added 2-3 days afterwards.

I saw a photo on explore last night that I faved and was surprised that it only had 12 faves and 7 comments after I added mine. It was a beautiful shot, but with that few faves and comments, I was wondering how it made explore?

It's all relative to how many faves and comments that particular shot has compared to how many the photographer normally gets, I think.

I faved it n Flickr a little while ago. You're up to 88 faves...

What caught my eye was the composition of the photo, which I think is awesome.

But I can't explain the logic of "why this one and not that one?".