Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
larrys

How to feed and attract Mockingbirds.

larrys    3

Yeah I saw that too, either a crazy coincidence or maybe larrys is just testing us!

I came upon this accidentally. As you know Mockingbirds eat bugs and fruit exclusively and aren't interested in seeds, nuts or suet found in our normal feeders. However, they are attracted to water feeders and that's step one. 

I noticed Mockingbirds were lighting on my water feeder and I remembered a friend told me she used to feed them by throwing raisins to them in the air. That sounded really far fetched to me but it gave me an idea. So I cut off the bottom of a plastic water bottle to make a dish I could float in the water feeder. I put some raisins in the dish and voila! The Mockingbirds started eating them. So once they were used to coming to my feeder area I bought a hanging suet feeder tray and put the raisins in it, the Mockingbirds easily transitioned from the water feeder to it. 

Mockingbirds may not be the prettiest bird at my feeders but I think the white pattern on their wings when they fly is spectacular and they never fail to stun when I see them in the air. 

MarkBird    217

My yard mockingbirds love orange halves prepared as you would feed orioles. Sadly, I've had mockingbirds, catbirds, and crows on the oranges...and no orioles!

Also, my mockingbirds love any type of suet I put out. I use two suet blocks in the same area as my seed feeders. I randomly use peanut butter, 'high energy', berry, woodpecker, or whatever other suet flavors I can buy, and the mockingbirds stop by every day to snack.

Lastly, my yard mockingbirds will also demolish live mealworms. They'll pop 10 or so in a sitting, then come back a few minutes later for another round. I sporadically try mealworms to keep nesting Carolina Wrens around, but thus far I've only been successful feeding mockingbirds and catbirds with the mealworms too.

JimBob    10183

That's awesome! 

I thought I would mention that the mockingbirds I fed in Missouri loved multiple types of suet. One thing I would do is buy a suet cake that had a bunch of cracked corn in it, strain out the corn, and let what suet was left harden. The mockingbirds particularly loved that.

larrys    3

My yard mockingbirds love orange halves prepared as you would feed orioles. Sadly, I've had mockingbirds, catbirds, and crows on the oranges...and no orioles!

Also, my mockingbirds love any type of suet I put out. I use two suet blocks in the same area as my seed feeders. I randomly use peanut butter, 'high energy', berry, woodpecker, or whatever other suet flavors I can buy, and the mockingbirds stop by every day to snack.

Lastly, my yard mockingbirds will also demolish live mealworms. They'll pop 10 or so in a sitting, then come back a few minutes later for another round. I sporadically try mealworms to keep nesting Carolina Wrens around, but thus far I've only been successful feeding mockingbirds and catbirds with the mealworms too.

I've tried suet nuggets and mealworms and they always went for the raisins. Have not tried suet cakes but I have them in the Pileated feeder. I guess they aren't clingers.

ausnic44    82

they love the figs in my fig trees, and my tomato's on the bush, my grapes when ripe on the vine

spyonabird    766

they love my suet and also my blueberry bushes.  I also get them on my feeder eating sunflower chips.

I don't know why the original poster thinks Mocks don't like suet.  They're some of the top consumers of my cakes.

If you want to go the landscaping route, they're fond of pyracantha berries and the fruit of Bradford pear trees.  (That's about the only landscape value for Bradford pears, an attractive but notoriously weak-wooded, short-lived ornamental.)