Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
lonestranger

Our new backyard

MJ and I are in the process of moving and although we're not moved in yet, we have seen enough of the yard to know it's birding potential is great. MJ used to rent the property years ago so she is familiar with the landlady and knows her way around the property well enough to take me for a quick tour. Now it's time for me to take you for a quick tour of our new property.

Here's an arial view from Google Earth that's been labelled to show what's what.

21814311443_f16bfdaa95_c.jpgBackyardArialView by lonestranger102, on Flickr

Here's the house as viewed from the yard, the patio doors on the right are off the master bedroom.

22247718558_f3ffc2c584_c.jpgDSCN2298 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

The yard is quite birdy, as the habitat suggests it would be with flowers, shrubs, mature and immature trees, and even a small neglected pond in the yard.

22435410425_be6f599e17_c.jpgDSCN2299 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

The backyard, as identified on the map, is a fair size and scattered with assorted trees. 

22248619119_aee9feb570_c.jpgDSCN2300 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

And comes with it's own log cabin playhouse, or in our case, a log cabin bird blind that over looks the meadow at the edge of the back backyard.

22247471520_439f277f05_c.jpgDSCN2302 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

Okay, that's the house, yard, and backyard. The back backyard, and the back back backyard, will have to wait until Iater, there's moving to be done.

• Like 2

Here's a view of the back back yard, taken from beside the log cabin in the backyard.

22247728678_2db752f4e8_c.jpgDSCN2304 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

The back backyard and the back back backyard are not only birding paradises, they also come with groomed hiking trails throughout, which the landlady's son takes care of. As you can see, the back backyard is mostly meadow surrounded by a mix of mature pine, spruce, cedars and assorted hardwoods.

22446317651_973cb14e08_c.jpgDSCN2306 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

The back back backyard has even more variety with more meadows, more trees, some wet marshy areas, and small ponds and bogs.

21814274663_d7101fd97b_c.jpgDSCN22971 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

Here's a few of the birds I've managed to photograph in the very short time we spent exploring the property.

White-throated sparrows and an eastern towhee.

22446339771_92c2b98fb3_c.jpgDSCN2296 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

White-throated sparrow enjoying some of the berries.

22409439056_f59e23f38b_c.jpgDSCN2294 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

Hermit thrush(by default)

22446303291_f8cfa400b6_c.jpgIMG_2815 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

Golden-crowned kinglet

21812669904_45f6d6f112_c.jpgIMG_2818 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

There were other birds around, some too common to photograph, and some too elusive to be photographed. Really looking forward to this move being over so we can settle in and get to know more of our new backyard visitors.

• Like 5

Wow, what an amazing, beautiful place to live!  So happy for you!   I'm looking forward to seeing photos of your backyard birding adventures once you are settled in! :)

Looks great!  Are we all invited over??!

You sure are, Seattle. We're moving most of the heavy stuff next weekend and would love to have you and other whatbirders stop by.  ;)

• Like 1

Glad to see you're enjoying your new property and it's proving to be a productive one for your photography. Hope the bunnies don't get too used to you with all those coyotes running around. Cute GIF!

• Like 2

So we're sitting out on the bench in the back yard on the long weekend expressing our regrets about not bringing the binoculars with us. I have the camera to scan the tree tops and as I am describing the location of an indigo bunting to MJ, she is questioning the ID of the bird. 

28128550194_fe373c350a_c.jpgIMG_2953 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

I tried to tell her to follow the angle of my lens to the bird's location and she says that she can see it already sitting on top of the dead tree, but it looks more like a heron to her. I lowered the camera to look around and realized that MJ hadn't even glanced in the direction of the indigo bunting before questioning my ID.  :blink:

28668677781_09439baa2f_c.jpgIMG_2963 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

• Like 2

The rabbits are still regulars in the yard and I probably spend too much time pointing the camera at them.  :lol:

Klhj-X.gif

If you click on this image and go to the flickr page, you can use the right and left arrow keys to toggle back and forth between larger images of the gif above.

28254847823_ce86861a99_c.jpgIMG_3261 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

Bashful bunny

28794164641_d188caa3bb_c.jpgIMG_3238 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

Kissing....cousins???

28252805644_f5c66c259b_c.jpgIMG_3896 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

One of my personal favourites.

28795376851_7be7d62dd7_c.jpgIMG_3987 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

• Like 4

The ponds are a fraction of their previous size, but there's still enough water in the closest pond to attract green heron, great blue heron, and wood ducks on a near daily basis. Catching them on camera is a challenge but here's a recent shot of one of the resident wood ducks.

28871399815_52d0a25e5b_c.jpgIMG_4069 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

• Like 2

The ponds are a fraction of their previous size, but there's still enough water in the closest pond to attract green heron, great blue heron, and wood ducks on a near daily basis. Catching them on camera is a challenge but here's a recent shot of one of the resident wood ducks.

28871399815_52d0a25e5b_c.jpgIMG_4069 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

Do you have a Wood Duck box?  How large is your pond?  I built a duck box, but it has only been used by the pesky starlings (I didn't let them use it for long!).  I'm wondering if our pond is just too small for Wood Ducks.

Do you have a Wood Duck box?  How large is your pond?  I built a duck box, but it has only been used by the pesky starlings (I didn't let them use it for long!).  I'm wondering if our pond is just too small for Wood Ducks.

No, I don't have any nesting boxes up yet and this particular pond is actually on the neighbour's property, which just happens to be easily viewed from our main trail.. The pond has a lot of broken off dead trees around it that were probably used for their nest. You can get an idea of the size of the pond from the photo in the third post from the top. Good luck with the wood ducks next year.

• Like 1

No, I don't have any nesting boxes up yet and this particular pond is actually on the neighbour's property, which just happens to be easily viewed from our main trail.. The pond has a lot of broken off dead trees around it that were probably used for their nest. You can get an idea of the size of the pond from the photo in the third post from the top. Good luck with the wood ducks next year.

Ah, I see.  Your neighbor's pond doesn't seem much larger than ours, so now I'm thinking it's the vegetation around our pond that is the problem.  There isn't much brush growing around ours yet, only grasses and short weeds.  The ducks will probably feel safer if they can't see the house!  I guess we'll have to wait...

Edited by Bird Nuts

The mushrooms pop up all over the yard, and I'll often stop and take a few photos of them.

29668011424_8b453e0d0c_c.jpgIMG_4959 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

A few weeks ago we saw a few puff ball mushrooms that were larger than any I had seen before. The first one was almost soccer ball size, as you can see by MJ's rubber boot, which would have made for a better photo if her foot had of been posed like she was kicking a soccer ball.  :blink:

30244162006_4d840f61a9_c.jpgIMG_8045 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

The second one was hidden back off the trail, without a foot for comparison, but it dwarfed the first puff ball by at least 50% and was closer in size to a basketball than a soccer ball.

29982576530_3a792eb4af_c.jpgIMG_8043 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

• Like 1

We've had a new visitor to the yard recently, an opossum that appears to be wintering in the landlady's run down storage shed. I'm hoping it's a female and I might get the chance to see her carrying her babies around on her back in a few months. *crossing my fingers*

32252943172_ec5d55e368_c.jpgIMG_1630 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

Yes, I still spend too much time pointing the camera at the rabbits and here's a few more photos to prove it.  

32235164412_66a9b8259d_c.jpgIMG_1251 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

32403055385_2f60dd60ab_c.jpgIMG_1238 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

31592154433_6db5bf2dc2_c.jpgIMG_1245 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, 1horse2many said:

Oh my gosh I love your little oasis! Lucky you to have such an amazing backyard to explore!

We love it too, 1horse2may. It's only a rental, which has it's drawbacks and some frustrations of dealing with a landlord, but I can't complain about the yard or the numerous birds it attracts.  :)

Seeing a pileated woodpecker out the window is a rare treat around here.

33381816371_8ac184f763_c.jpgIMG_3508 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

Going out with the camera a half hour later and seeing a pair of them together at the edge of the yard is an even bigger treat. :)  

32695811783_c357e6fff8_c.jpgIMG_3533 by lonestranger102, on Flickr

Going out into the yard in a month or two and seeing baby pileated woodpeckers would be the biggest treat of all. *crosses fingers*

• Like 4