Whatbird Community Board

Life list creating

I have been a bird watcher for over 5 decades. I have accumulated a long life list, but it consists of checkmarks in a Peterson's bird guide.  And while still serviceable, it is also decades old and starting to show its wear and tear from being rained on, bouncing around in my pack, etc.  I have recently purchased iBird Plus and really enjoy it.  I want to create a life list in a way that should something happen, it isn't lost forever, as would happen if I drop my Peterson field guide in the river.  I created a link in iBird Plus to my DropBox account and added a bird just to see what would happen.  I went to my DropBox account and saw that the list was there, opened the list and just saw some lines of code.  Maybe this is supposed to be what happens, but it doesn't seem to help me keep and preserve my list.  Alright, enough of a preamble.  I see that my iBird has a link entitled Journal, so I clicked it and it basically said that I need to purchase iJournal.  This is fine, I just would like to know the best way to start.  It is easier to start correctly than to try to go back and correct things later.  My main goal is to keep a life list.  I searched that topic and the response that came up was from 2012, so I am going to post again since I figure a lot has changed since then.  I have a lot of sightings already.  I won't be going back to some of the places where I originally saw some of the birds.  So, can I manually go through and add birds I have already seen, and how do I best do this.  There won't be much information to add except to note the sighting.  Once done, it seems like additional sightings are relatively easy to add within Journal. Then, is this list viewable in anything other than iBird Journal, i.e. does it keep the database somewhere safe and can you interact with it on from my web browser?

The lists created in iBird Journal are designed to be forever.  The data are backed up to Dropbox and can be accessed from Apps or other text programs, although access through any other program will give an unsatisfactory result.

The organized lists are through iBird Journal, recovered through Journal and are printable with Journal and connectivity to the internet.

With considerable effort, you may re-create old lists, even to the tune of GPS locations, if you have the time and memory to remember the exact location of the sighting.  At least you may re-create the lists, the birds the general locations and the dates of the sightings.

The iBird Journal, has the capability to recover/record all your old lists, in one location with all the sightings and all the data that you care to take the time to enter.

Journal also can record all your lists that you care to enter from today on... from the day you have the the ability to use iBird Journal.

Five decades of notes/sightings is going to take you a lot of time to enter.  If you do enter these notes, Congratulations, you will have a lifetime of observations available at your fingertips with only a few clicks.

If you do this monumental project, please document the project, and have good familiarity with the program before you start.

An organizational project like this needs planning and documentation.

But after you finish, you will have every bird that you have seen... at the end of a mere tap of the finger, and can find your postings all from one location.

Please let me and the Forums know how you get on with this life long listing of your birding activities.

You may well be my and Our Hero.

Good Luck

Bigfoot and the Whatbird Community