Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.
pdx_bird

Help with finches

I saw these birds this weekend in southeastern Washington along the Snake River. All in the same flock. Poor light conditions added to my confusion. Are these purple finch? 

25031817126_1b28186593_z.jpg

24762543680_bd1f1b2e8c_z.jpg

25031808226_95059cd024_z.jpg

25058384255_dc6f2199c4_z.jpg

And this one house finch? 

24940058812_fcf7773c0e_z.jpg

And this one house finch on left, purple on right? Or...

24427528594_303153042b_z.jpg

These are House Finches. In some of the photos you can see the curved culmen, and other photo show well streaked breasts and flanks. Purple Finches have neither of these.

To me, only photo #5 and the left bird in the last photo look good for House Finch. I think the rest are Cassin's. Don't forget only male Purple/Cassin's Finches largely lack streaking, females of both can have quite bold streaking

I agree with Griffin, the first 4 are not HOFIs, they're either Purple or Cassin's. I can't see the bird on the right well enough to make a call but the next males in the last two photos are House Finches for sure. 

I skimmed through the photos, saw a couple of House Finches, and assumed they were all the same. Shame on me!  :( Y'all are correct.

(BTW, I have an appointment to get my eyes checked next week to determine if I need to get new glasses!!)  :lol:

Thanks so much for the input everyone!! :)

This was my first time seeing a finch other than a house finch!...at least close enough to take a photo for confirmation. Challenging birds to ID in the best conditions. 

#1 This one might be Cassin's, with that very triangular bill.

#2 Purple - Cassin's wouldn't have that green wash

#3 Purple, I think

#4 Purple/Cassin's

#5 House

#6 House on the left, PUFI/CAFI on the right.

Okay, I think we've agreed on:

#1 - #4: Purple

#5: House

#6: House on left, Purple on left

At least, I agree with all of these.

It also doesn't have a super prominent supercilium, which most female Cassin's have. 

You have this backwards. PUFI typically have bolder, thicker supercilium than CAFI. In my experience, bill shape is usually the best way to separate them, but facial pattern (which is better for CAFI here, imo), breast pattern (more PUFI-like here), and primary projection are also useful secondary marks. It could be the angle making the first bird's bill look so triangular, but I'd like to see another photo before calling that bird one way or the other.

Okay, I think we've agreed on:

#1 - #4: Purple

Nope. See comments above.

Just so everyone knows, I will often stay up for a week or more in Stanley, Idaho, at my family's cabin, and there we'll get so many Cassin's Finches you wouldn't believe it. I've never seen any Cassin's Finches with this breast pattern and overall colouration. 

I'm still not convinced. I thought that the supercilium on an Eastern Purple Finch was bolder than a Cassin's, but vice versa with the Pacific race. The bill shape does suggest Cassin's to me, but it could just be the weird angle. 

Agreed, I'm not 100% on that bird in either direction. It's probably best left unidentified without another image.

I've never noticed a difference in the supercilium between out PUFI here in CA and those back in VA. These are all average differences, though, and I'd never call an individual bird just on that mark (lots of individual variation and changes with posture). I've seen some CAFI with really bold superciliums that made me do a double take, but bill shape always seems to be reliable (and often vocalizations).